Main Menu

Foxygen

Started by johnnYYac, Jun 25, 2013, 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

a crazy set at Solid Sound, but can't escape the potential for something great.  They've got a lot of people fooled into thinking their outta control, but I met the lead singer, Sam France,  and guitarist, Jonathan Rado, afterwards and they are totally in control.  My first words to France, "Holy Hell!!!"  My second words, "Make it last."  They apparently met Jeff Tweedy and didn't know who he was, even though its Wilco's festival.  Also, rumor had it that the drummer went into the drunk tank overnight, but who hasn't?  They're still kids, probably too young to handle this level.  Definitely a band no one can agree on.  I really dug it, though.  Its VERY derivative- Dylan, Jagger, Bowie, Rotten, Barrett, Gano, Morrison- but I love all that shit so bring it on!

Here's a good sampling, though Solid Sound was 10x more fun and crazy!

3voor12 session Foxygen @ Le Guess Who? Festival 2012
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Angelo

They were definitely a good time, one of the highlights of the weekend for me. Cool that you got to exchange some words with them, Yac. Also cool that we got to hang out for a bit. We left early on Sunday, halfway through Autumn Defense's set, it was too damn hot at that point. I'm so glad it wasn't like that the rest of the weekend.

johnnYYac

Seeing you and Melissa was a highlight, as was camping with my buddy Kevin and Crispy, carvaning with Ms. Yvon, seeing deathstick and sassbox.  Foxygen, Yo La Tango, Lucius, were all good times.  A real treat was the live documentary about Buckminster Fuller, w/live narration and music by YLT.  Really facinating.  Glad we missed the heat, too.  And an ISS sighting during both Wilco shows!  Great time all around.

johnnYYac

07-13 Louisville, KY - Forecastle Festival
07-19 Chicago, IL - Schubas *
07-21 Chicago, IL - Pitchfork Music Festival
07-25 New York, NY - Pier 84 ^ 
07-28 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall
07-29 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
08-01 Vancouver, British Columbia - Biltmore Cabaret
08-02 Seattle, WA - Neumos
08-03 Happy Valley, OR - Pickathon
08-04 Happy Valley, OR - Pickathon
08-25 Los Angeles, CA - FYF Fest
09-05 Salt Lake City, UT - Pioneer Park +
09-20 San Francisco, CA - The Independent
09-21 San Francisco, CA - The Chapel
09-22 Big Sur, CA - Woodsist Festival
09-24 Denver, CO - Bluebird Theatre
09-27 Champaign, IL - Pygmalion Festival
09-28 Cincinnati, OH - Midpoint Music Festival
09-29 Detroit, MI - Majestic Theatre
10-01 Toronto, Ontario- The Hoxton
10-02 Montreal, Quebec - Cabaret Du Mile-End
10-03 Boston, MA - Paradise
10-o4 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
10-05-06 Austin, TX - Austin City Limits
10-11-13 Austin, TX - Austin City Limits

* with Gauntlet Hair
^ with Thao & The Get Down Stay Down
+ with MGMT

Angelo

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 25, 2013, 07:30 PM
Seeing you and Melissa was a highlight, as was camping with my buddy Kevin and Crispy, carvaning with Ms. Yvon, seeing deathstick and sassbox.  Foxygen, Yo La Tango, Lucius, were all good times.  A real treat was the live documentary about Buckminster Fuller, w/live narration and music by YLT.  Really facinating.  Glad we missed the heat, too.  And an ISS sighting during both Wilco shows!  Great time all around.
Can you clue me in on what ISS is?

Come Closer

International Space Station  :wink:

johnnYYac

Quote from: Osistheones on Jun 28, 2013, 06:48 PM
International Space Station  :wink:
:thumbsup:

Both nights, the International Space Station soared across the sky to our left facing the stage during Wilco's set.  10:17pm on Friday, 9:26pm on Saturday.  I'm sorry I neglected to mention it to you, as I did damn near everyone else around us.  I said something to the astronomer dude at his telescope area, but he dismissed me, said it would be too cloudy... WRONG!  He was a dick.  Everyone else was grand.

Come Closer

Oh haha, my sarcasm backfired. I was thinking it was somebody's initials or a username.

Northern Neighbour

Their tour has been canceled, as Sam France broke his leg while performing recently in Minneapolis.

http://www.stereogum.com/1421702/foxygen-cancel-tour-dates-after-frontman-breaks-leg-in-stage-fall/news/

Ghosts_on_TV

These guys seem like a fucking trainwreck.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

Foxygen just posted a link to a YouTube video of their entire first album, made when Sam France and Jon Rado were 15 years old!  I'm freakin' impressed!  I met them both at Solid Sound last summer and they're about 23, put on a hell of a show and have the potential to grow or fizzle.  A lot of talent there, sometimes a dangerous thing.

http://youtu.be/ze14OGG_30w

I hope they get their shit together.  Supposedly they're in the midst of recording a new album with a new lineup around France and Rado.  Should be weird, in a good way.

johnnYYac

EverythingChanges

Nice find Yac!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

johnnYYac

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Nov 07, 2013, 08:43 PM
Nice find Yac!
Legal, too!  It came from the band.

EverythingChanges

Northern Neighbour

I had a couple of listens. While there are some really good tracks, there are some that completely lost me. Some of them are incomplete, which is likely their attention and/or reflective of their disjointed approach of the past year.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Sep 30, 2014, 02:13 PM
I had a couple of listens. While there are some really good tracks, there are some that completely lost me. Some of them are incomplete, which is likely their attention and/or reflective of their disjointed approach of the past year.

Yeah, this album represents Foxygen's live shows perfectly.  Sometimes they sound coherent...and sometimes not so much.  But I think some of that is by design, and what makes their live shows so much fun to watch.  Sam France is one crazy individual.  I think Rado keeps the band in balance. 

I love the intro into the album.   

APR

SiriusXMU has been playing a great song by Foxygen.  It led me to check out some of their other material, and it's very hit and miss.  They're playing a show near me pretty soon and reading the above posts, it sounds like their shows are up and down too.