Did the ultra epic Oakland show on 6-24-11 ever show up?

Started by missionmmj, Jul 18, 2013, 03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaye

missionmmj

I was at the show and I saw  several very high end videographers with headsets.

So I figured it was going to be used sometime in the future for some official MMJ project.
I wonder if that is why there is some sort of blackout on that show?

Plus out of the 8 MMJ shows I have seen...it was even a little more extraordinary!

Fully

Was that not the one that Scott Compton filmed and made a short film for boingboing.net. If so you can find it on YouTube. They didn't use the entire show though.

jaye

Quote from: missionmmj on Jul 18, 2013, 05:19 PM
I was at the show and I saw  several very high end videographers with headsets.

So I figured it was going to be used sometime in the future for some official MMJ project.
I wonder if that is why there is some sort of blackout on that show?

Plus out of the 8 MMJ shows I have seen...it was even a little more extraordinary!

I totally agree - I don't know why exactly but it really was a fantastic show.  I know several people who have been keeping their eyes out for a tape.  And yes Fully - it is that boing boing one.

buymycar

Sadly, the two year anniversay of this mind blowin', face meltin', heart pumpin' extravaganza of a show passed last month with nary a mention of a tape.  Every time I watch that awesome video that Scott Compton was so generous to give us, I can't help but think back to that night.  They gave us what I think is the trifecta that makes an epic show: Steam Engine, Dondante, and Phone Went West.  But that wasn't all, they also gave us a killer O Is The One That Is Real and a special appearance by, in Jim's words, "Mister Montgomery Ward" on Wonderful.  Those reasons right there are why this is an epic show, but they even kicked it higher into the stratosphere with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band during the encore.  Holdin' Onto Black Metal was awesome, as shown in the video, but it was Dancefloors that came after that was sick sick sick!

Every time I check a torrent site, I hope to see this show appear, but as time goes by, I lose more and more hope.  At this point, I think the only hope is to get an official band release, but it's unfair to make this show a priority when the T5 shows haven't even been released yet.  I lobbied for this show to get released during one of the chats with Bo and Tom, but who knows if they even heard me.

This is the only MMJ show I've been to that I don't have a tape for.  I realize I've been extremely lucky in that regard, as us non-tapers can't really complain when a tape doesn't materialize.  I know there are plenty of other shows that don't have tapes, but like others have said, there was something in the water that night, if you know what I mean.

I thank you, missionmmj, for bringing this show up so that I could get up on my soapbox once again.

zanjam

It really was epic, wasn't it?  And the icing on the cake for me was that we had High Sierra to look forward to just a few days later.  And being on the rail right in front of Jim, with lots of eye contact didn't hurt!  It was just a magical week. 
anything + reverb always = better

walterfredo

Quote from: zanjam on Jul 19, 2013, 02:18 PM
It was just a magical week.

so true.  LA Pantages>Oakland Fox>High Sierra.  The oakland show was the cream of the crop though.  What a night!

Fully

To end the topic... It never showed up... Muthuhfuckaaaaass.

buymycar

Quote from: Fully on Jul 19, 2013, 10:56 PM
To end the topic... It never showed up... Muthuhfuckaaaaass.

Technically, it did.  The OP wanted to know about the video.

missionmmj

Nope,I wanted to know about the audio taping of Fox Oakland show and if that was available in its entirety?

That would be fantastic!

buymycar

Quote from: missionmmj on Jul 20, 2013, 04:43 PM
Nope,I wanted to know about the audio taping of Fox Oakland show and if that was available in its entirety?

That would be fantastic!

Shhhhh!  I just didn't want Fully to get the last word in this discussion.  :thumbsup:

buymycar

I still pathetically check from time to time if any audio has surfaced from this show.  I came across this heavily brickwalled 24 minute soundcloud file that includes Wonderful/Slow, Slow Tune/Steam Engine/.  I had forgotten about the awesome outro to Steam Engine from this show.

https://soundcloud.com/obrienjj/my-morning-jacket-at-fox

walterfredo

Quote from: jaye on Jan 27, 2015, 02:13 PM
thanks!   Anyone know how to remove the crackling staticky sounds?

ditto.  Seems like this is actually a soundboard of some sorts, but with a lot of crackling. I downloaded the mp3.  Are the FLAC the same way?

buymycar

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 27, 2015, 02:41 PM
Quote from: jaye on Jan 27, 2015, 02:13 PM
thanks!   Anyone know how to remove the crackling staticky sounds?

ditto.  Seems like this is actually a soundboard of some sorts, but with a lot of crackling. I downloaded the mp3.  Are the FLAC the same way?

Yep, same on the ALAC (they're apple lossless despite what the link says above). The instrument separation is phenomenal! And the lack of crowd noise definitely indicates soundboard or IEM. Maybe it's taken so long to get this out because they were looking for an AUD source to mix with it.

You can hear the genesis of Phone Went West Red Rocks 2012 in this Phone Went West.

buymycar

This recording is so raw and so distorted in parts that I'm loving it, rice crispies (snap, crackle, pop) and all! After three and a half years of waiting, I couldn't be happier to get the whole show. I forgot about Jim mentioning the Buddha statues at the Fox.