Daniel Martin Moore

Started by Mr. White, Aug 07, 2013, 10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

I thought Daniel Martin Moore deserved his own thread. I have a lot to share about him and his music. To start off, I am including this link I received today in my e-mail. It is about his soon-to-be-released Archives Vol. 1 project that is currently part of Pledge Music. DMM is offering many cool items to those who pledge various amounts of money in order to help finance this very special Archives Vol. 1 release.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/dmm-archives

Archives Vol. I

A new collection of rare & unreleased recordings from the Archives: 10 songs spanning the last 5 years.

Archives Vol. I

1. Dark Road, v2 w/ Haley Bonar
2. I Hear Music
3. Picture in a Frame
4. Forever Young
5. Kentucky Waltz w/ Jim James
6. Schoolhouse Sketches
7. When You Wish Upon a Star
8. Trawlerman's Song w/ Joan Shelley
9. Smile
10. What Tongue Can Tell

Over the months of winter & spring, I pieced together a new album. And I'd love your help to release it. The 10 songs offered here on Archives, Vol. I are culled from the mountain of tapes & CDs (artifacts from dozens of recording sessions) that have quietly filled up my closet over the last 5 years or so. For one reason or another, they weren't released along with the albums or projects for which they were recorded. 'Dark Road v2,' for example, is an alternate take with a different arrangement. 'Kentucky Waltz' is a home demo. 'Smile' was captured at a live show (the October 2008 album release show for my first record, Stray Age).

There are dear friends & extraordinary musicians featured on these tracks. My long-time collaborator Daniel Joseph Dorff (you've seen him playing drums, keyboards & stomping around the stage) makes an appearance in one way or another on most of the songs – the complete band and production credits are on my website via the link below. I hope you enjoy this collection as much as I enjoyed putting it together. Reconnecting with these recordings felt like seeing old friends after a long time gone.

In the same spirit that unearthed these songs, there are all sorts of other rarities and goodies that can be yours in exchange for your support of the album (and really, your pledge here will go a long way toward lots of upcoming projects). I hope you find some things you like.

Thanks for the support over the years. It has meant everything.

All my best,

DMM

PS – A portion of the proceeds from this fundraiser will benefit
Appalachian Citizens' Law Center. Learn more about their
important work right here: http://appalachianlawcenter.org/

Also featuring these musicians: Earl D. Moore, Jr., Joel T. Runyan, Ric Hordinski, Aaron Jacobs, Chris Morrissey, Brian Lovely and Paul Patterson.

Complete Recording Credits: http://www.danielmartinmoore.com/site/discography

By the way, I pledged $100 for the very last one of the ten available concert posters from the Appalachian Voices 2010 show at the Bearsville Theatre they did - signed by Daniel Martin Moore, Ben Sollee, Jim James, Daniel Dorff, and signed and numbered by the artist Brandon Jones. It also comes with the download and the CD of the Archives Vol. 1, when it is finally released. I hope those of you on the Forum will pledge some amount of money for one of the wonderful items Daniel is offering for your support.

Here is a picture of the concert poster I pledged for (with autographs).

Here is the original I found on Brandon Jones's Interweb site Branjo Farms.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

jaye

Very cool!  Beautiful poster too! 

thanks for the info.   :beer:

SaraBananaBear

Once payday comes I'm getting some cookies for sure!  :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Mr. White

OK Jacket and related music fans...Daniel Martin Moore is holding steady at 55% of his goal with only 13 days left of this Pledge Music project to go. Come on! Let's help this talented Kentuckian out! SaraBananaBear and I have pledged, and so has the Jacket's very own Tom Blankenship! There have been 70 individuals to pledge so far. You can pledge as little as $10 and still get the download of Archives Vol. 1 when it is ready to be released. DO IT!!!...please...

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/dmm-archives?utm_campaign=project7533&utm_medium=project_badge

SaraBananaBear

Yeah, get on this, it's good stuff!  :thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Mr. White

I'm not sure of everyone's "real" names, but I do know Johnny Yac's. He is one of the most recent pledgers for DMM's Archives Vol. 1 Music Pledge project. Way to help out, John! At present, the Archives Vol. 1 project is at 66% with 86 pledgers. There are only 5 days left, so if you were thinking about making a pledge, please do so soon. One thing special available to those who pledge is access to all 10 songs that will be on the CD/Download, plus one bonus track that I believe will be available to download once the project is completed (as an update). Besides the Jim James collaboration on Kentucky Waltz, there is another cool song Tom Waits fans will surely recognize, Picture In A Frame from Tom's 1999 album Mule Variations. You can hear them all, if you make a pledge...

Mr. White

Archives Vol. 1 Pledge Music Project Update:

I got this e-mail from Daniel Martin Moore yesterday and thought I would share it here.

"Dear Friends,

There are 5 days left in this grand experiment, the campaign to fund my next record. We're inching ever closer to the goal, and I do believe we'll get there, but if for some reason we don't, the project won't be funded, which would be a major bummer (even more of a bummer than this run-on sentence). So if you're interested, please pre-order the record. Once you do, you'll be able to stream the whole thing immediately (along with some cool bonus material) and the download will be available in about one week's time. Take a look:

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/dmm-archives

Thanks so much for the support!

DMM"

As of a few minutes ago, there were 111 pledgers, bringing the project to 81% of the goal. If you haven't pledged yet and are interested in this project/new album of rare and previously unreleased songs, please check out the details in the link above. There's less than 5 days left to fund it.

johnnYYac

Just got this email...

"Hello from PledgeMusic,

Just a quick note from Team Pledge to let you know that Daniel Martin Moore: Archives Vol. I has raised 99% of its goal!"

Nice.

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Mr. White

Hell yeah, baby!!!
I just checked after having read johnnYYac's update, and believe it or not, we reached 127% with 155 pledgers! The CD/Download is scheduled for release in 5 days!
Special thanks go out to all you giving Forum members who helped to make Daniel Martin Moore's Archives Vol. 1 a reality. A few more Forum members must have done something special to get this over the top with less than 3 days left for the project. I recognized rjlemons as a recent pledger, in addition to those I mentioned in an earlier post. I don't know the names of more, but I'm sure we helped substantually. Also, I noticed musicians Cheyenne Mize, Haley Bonar, and Ben Sollee had made pledges a day or two ago. Kentucky authors Silas House and Jason Howard pledged as well. And very recently, a woman with the last name of Olliges pledged... I wonder...
All I know is that Daniel Martin Moore is a very nice and very talented young man! I know he is happy now, and so am I.

rjlemons

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 04, 2013, 08:07 PM
Hell yeah, baby!!!
I just checked after having read johnnYYac's update, and believe it or not, we reached 127% with 155 pledgers! The CD/Download is scheduled for release in 5 days!
Special thanks go out to all you giving Forum members who helped to make Daniel Martin Moore's Archives Vol. 1 a reality. A few more Forum members must have done something special to get this over the top with less than 3 days left for the project. I recognized rjlemons as a recent pledger, in addition to those I mentioned in an earlier post. I don't know the names of more, but I'm sure we helped substantually. Also, I noticed musicians Cheyenne Mize, Haley Bonar, and Ben Sollee had made pledges a day or two ago. Kentucky authors Silas House and Jason Howard pledged as well. And very recently, a woman with the last name of Olliges pledged... I wonder...
All I know is that Daniel Martin Moore is a very nice and very talented young man! I know he is happy now, and so am I.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So glad the goal was met! And it's still climbing!

Mr. White

Now that Daniel Martin Moore's Pledge Music project is officially a success, I thought I would post about something I am kind of proud of next.

Last year, I traveled to Lexington twice to see DMM and Joan Shelley perform (once in May at CD Central for a quick in store album release show and again in June at Natasha's for a full show). After the Natasha's show, I spoke with Daniel for a few minutes and asked if he might consider playing a set at the annual Lincoln Days Celebration, which is held on the first weekend in October each year in Hodgenville, Kentucky (Birthplace of Abraham Lincoln and where I have lived for the last 12 years). He had told me he was originally from Elizabethtown, Kentucky and that his grandparents still lived there (I had spoken with Daniel after an in store performance at Ear-X-Tacy back in January of 2011). He said it might be a possibility when he realized his grandparents would only have to drive 10 miles from their home in Elizabethtown to Hodgenville. Anyway, I told him I didn't have anything to do with organizing acts for the Lincoln Days Celebration, but that I would look into it. I was able to convince the volunteer talent organizer that DMM would be a perfect fit and directed him to his videos on YouTube. After I got the word that DMM could play in Hodgenville, I got back on his Interweb site and found out he and Joan would be out of the country playing a series of shows in Ireland during last year's Lincoln Days. I put it in the back of my mind to try again this year. Long story short...I was able to be a go-between with the Lincoln Days talent organizer and DMM's touring manager to successfully book Daniel for a slot sometime during the day on Saturday, October 5, 2013! The stage will be set up in the town square directly across from our statue of Abe. The main street through town will be blocked off for the weekend to make way for a parade at 2:00 pm, food vendors, and souvenir stands. It isn't a big affair, but it is kind of cool that it happens pretty much right across the street from my house. The parade and music happen about a quarter of a mile from my house, and other events like a tractor show, the rail splitting contest, and the tug-of-war do happen right across the street from my house at the Creekfront Park (I'll post some pictures from previous years at a later date).

Here are some links, if anyone is interested.

http://www.danielmartinmoore.com/site/tour

http://www.lincolndays.org/

https://www.facebook.com/LincolnDaysCelebration

Mr. White

This is just a reminder to anyone who might be in or around central Kentucky next Saturday, Oct. 5th...Daniel is scheduled to play a set in the little town I live in (Hodgenville, Kentucky) at around 5 pm. There will be a parade at 2 pm, and music should start shortly after. I got word from the volunteer talent organizer that Daniel should play at 5 pm. When I checked his Interweb site, he had listed his band members for the 4 shows scheduled for Kentucky next month. His collaborator on his last album, Joan Shelley, will join Daniel and so will Dan Dorff - Jim James' keyboard player. Dan Dorff played on and was the producer for Daniel Martin Moore's 2011 album, In The Cool Of The Day. He also toured with DMM, Ben Sollee, and Jim to promote the Dear Companion album. I got to see Daniel and Dan play an album release show at Ear-X-Tacy in January of 2011. I took my 6 year old grandson to see them and we talked to them and got autographs after the show. I hadn't started recording songs from shows at that point, but I did find a few from that album release show on YouTube posted by backseatsandbar (we were sitting on the floor, right in front and a little to the right of backseatsandbar). Here are the 3 videos that were posted.

Daniel Martin Moore - ear X-tacy in-store - 1/28/11

Mr. White

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 30, 2013, 09:25 PM
This is just a reminder to anyone who might be in or around central Kentucky next Saturday, Oct. 5th...Daniel is scheduled to play a set in the little town I live in (Hodgenville, Kentucky) at around 5 pm. There will be a parade at 2 pm, and music should start shortly after. I got word from the volunteer talent organizer that Daniel should play at 5 pm. When I checked his Interweb site, he had listed his band members for the 4 shows scheduled for Kentucky next month. His collaborator on his last album, Joan Shelley, will join Daniel and so will Dan Dorff - Jim James' keyboard player. Dan Dorff played on and was the producer for Daniel Martin Moore's 2011 album, In The Cool Of The Day. He also toured with DMM, Ben Sollee, and Jim to promote the Dear Companion album. I got to see Daniel and Dan play an album release show at Ear-X-Tacy in January of 2011. I took my 6 year old grandson to see them and we talked to them and got autographs after the show. I hadn't started recording songs from shows at that point, but I did find a few from that album release show on YouTube posted by backseatsandbar (we were sitting on the floor, right in front and a little to the right of backseatsandbar). Here are the 3 videos that were posted.

Here is the link to the 4 tour dates in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

http://www.danielmartinmoore.com/site/tour

Mr. White

This was in the newspaper/magazine the chamber of commerce puts out a couple of weeks before Lincoln Days.

jaye

Quote from: Mr. White on Oct 01, 2013, 08:21 PM
This was in the newspaper/magazine the chamber of commerce puts out a couple of weeks before Lincoln Days.

That is so great!  Have a blast.  :)

Mr. White

Quote from: jaye on Oct 01, 2013, 09:01 PM
Quote from: Mr. White on Oct 01, 2013, 08:21 PM

That is so great!  Have a blast.  :)

Thanks jaye. I know it is out of the way for most people, and there aren't all that many people who have even heard of DMM, but I know he will command an attentive audience. I do hope some others who frequent this Forum will make it down to Hodgenville this Saturday though. Toretm (Tracy) said she was going to try to bring some of her friends down. (She is from Hodgenville and her mother is the former mayor and is still a member of the city council.) I just hope the weather is good. When I checked a little while ago, there was a 40% chance of rain - scattered thunderstorms. Maybe we will get lucky, and it will be nice.

Mr. White

The weather didn't hold out like I was hoping it would. About an hour or so before Daniel was supposed to take the stage, it started raining. Luckily, the organizers of Lincoln Days had the old First Baptist Church, that had been converted into City Hall, as a back-up venue. The bad thing was that there weren't hardly any people left downtown after the rains came to even attend the show. Daniel and his band did put on a wonderful 13 song set. (I believe his set was cut short by about 20 minutes or so due to the rain delay and having to set up the equipment at a different location. Plus, there was a salsa band that had to go on after Daniel and the local talent show.)

Here is Daniel performing Kentucky Waltz without his backing band. I will post other songs later.

Daniel Martin Moore - Kentucky Waltz - Lincoln Days Celebration - Hodgenville, Kentucky - 10/5/2013

Mr. White

Mr. White