One Big Holiday trip recommendations

Started by gluvmiller, Aug 14, 2013, 11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gluvmiller

Here is the list I've been compiling as far as recommendations when preparing for your trip to Mexico. This has come from people who have ventured off on one or more of these excursions. Obviously it isn't an end all be all and is sometimes relevant to each individual but not to everyone. I hope this helps(I've also posted this on the One Big Holiday private group page on Facebook):

-   Check your passport early and be sure it doesn't expire before your trip. At the same time make copies of your passport and leave a copy in the States with someone and take a copy with you. Would also recommend copies of your driver's license and maybe a credit card just to be safe. You should also leave a detailed itinerary with phone numbers and locations with someone in the States. And definitely call your credit card and let them know you're leaving the country. I like the recommendation of scanning your important documents to a password protected pdf and then emailing it to yourself. This way you can access these documetns anywhere.

-   Upload an app for your phone that allows it to be a walkie talkie (i.e. voxer, viber) so you do not get charged international fees for using your phone abroad. The apps are free and the resorts have free wifi. This allows you to stay in touch with other Holiday-ers at the resort. Also, you can use an app like Wickr for texting

-   Imodium, Cipro and/or probiotics to help with nausea. Maybe even some pedialyte for the morning after.

-   Big plastic insulated cup, tumblr (the resort will fill your cup and you're not mandated to use their cups)

-   Emergen-C – If you've never used it, it works wonders. Great when you're starting to feel a "cold" coming on

-   Extra sunscreen and cigarettes is highly recommended. Very expensive at resort

-   Take a poster tube. I bought a plastic one from an office supply store. The poster is a treasure you won't want damaged.

-   Bring lots of $1 and $5. I know it says we're not supposed to tip, but I ALWAYS tip at these resorts. You will get much better service and stronger drinks. They very much appreciate it. I've heard mixed opinions about using US dollars versus Pesos. I believe the locals have better resources for exchange than tourists.

-   DEFINITELY use your resort credits. Book early at the spa. Also works for merch in the Hard Rock store.

-   Airplane bottles of booze for your flight as your carry on liquids. Their size meet the criteria

-   MUSIC FOR YOUR ROOM

-   Shoes are an interesting topic. Some don't feel flip flops cut it. Some are happy to bare feet. The resort is really big so be aware you may be doing some walking depending on where you're located compared to the stage. If you do choose to go with the flops, many recommend a carabiner to hold you flops or sandals during the show. You most likely will want to go bare foot in the sand so with the carabiner you can clip you footwear and hang them somewhere safe.

-   Take a picture of the instrument on your building and your room number. You may want to do something similar for tracking your friends.

-    You can get a Hard rock specific shuttle from the airport and if this is what you choose, book it early. Many do recommend getting a cab instead or the VIP shuttle out of customs. Personally I like the chance of riding the HR shuttle with Holidayers and getting to know new friends early.

-   Condoms & lube

-   Go early, stay late (obviously this is $ dependent). Personally, we're going a few days early and staying somewhere non-resorty and cheap to get some culture before lapping in luxury.

-   Great tips for your maids and room servants: school supplies, toys and baseballs. Your maids will love you for it when they get to take these things home to their kids. Sometimes these things are better than money.

themarsvolta

This was very nice to do... I had most of this thought of, but not all... thank you!

@@

DayDrinkin

Bump for awesomeness and OBH3 newbz

sillyboob

Great post!!!  The only thing I can add is to bring a pen on the plane with you because you have to fill out immigration forms.  Both ways.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

teej

I have a question that I didn't think was worth starting another thread for:

Do people participate in the theme night? If so, how into it do people get? I've been discussing possibilities for the We Are Family theme with my girlfriend, but we've never been and aren't really sure what the participation is like.

DayDrinkin

They didn't really have a theme night that I can recall at OBH2 but there were several people in various costumes anyway. Ok betting on a pretty decent amount of participation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robb

Quote from: DayDrinkin on Jan 11, 2017, 08:36 PM
They didn't really have a theme night that I can recall at OBH2 but there were several people in various costumes anyway. Ok betting on a pretty decent amount of participation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it was a twin peaks night at obh2.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

DayDrinkin

Quote from: robb on Jan 12, 2017, 01:24 PM

it was a twin peaks night at obh2.

Right you are......totally forgot, partly because I don't think there was much participation. Twin Peaks is pretty niche.

Pierce2089

I feel like such a tool asking this, this is my first year going (couldn't be more excited) but I was just wondering how easy it is to get bud or meet molly down there?

slappymoe

Quote from: Pierce2089 on Jan 12, 2017, 04:20 PM
I feel like such a tool asking this, this is my first year going (couldn't be more excited) but I was just wondering how easy it is to get bud or meet molly down there?
how fitting that you posted this at 4:20.

Just 3weeks!

hoojack

Never been to OBH but in my experience traveling to resorts like this is it is not that hard.  Cabbies, bell hops and pool guys will usually ask if you have everything you need wink wink nod nod.

piton87

Anyone have any speculation on set lists? I am pretty stoked and dont even know what I am in for. RR16 had a pretty wide assortment of everything and Lockn was great too. Im hoping for a good amount of covers Suspicious minds is at the top of my list. Anyone whose been to OBH 1 and 2 have any thoughts?
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

matto77

Because MMJ plays 3 nights without repeating a song means we get treated to a all kinds of deep cuts/covers with the usually hits.  Last year the Phone Went West/Bob Marley medley and the Ferris Bueller's Day Off Donkashane/Twist and Shout covers were epic!  I am wondering if we might get a Pink Floyd cover or two considering the boys have been backing Rodger Waters recently?

There has always been a "surprise guest" (Bob Weir in OBH 1 and Conor Oberst in OBH 2).  What is interesting about this year is the Avett Bro's are having there own festival at the Hardrock right after OBH with Band of Horses, Brandi Carlile, and others: http://avettsatthebeach.com/  Since BOH are good buds with MMJ and Brandi Carlile joined Jim James on stage in Seattle I am thinking there is a good chance we might see them at OBH...

18 Days!!! :cheesy: :beer: :shocked:

dondantears

I would love to know more details on this from someone who has been to an OBH before.

Quote from: matto77 on Jan 16, 2017, 01:33 PM
Because MMJ plays 3 nights without repeating a song means we get treated to a all kinds of deep cuts/covers with the usually hits.  Last year the Phone Went West/Bob Marley medley and the Ferris Bueller's Day Off Donkashane/Twist and Shout covers were epic!  I am wondering if we might get a Pink Floyd cover or two considering the boys have been backing Rodger Waters recently?

There has always been a "surprise guest" (Bob Weir in OBH 1 and Conor Oberst in OBH 2).  What is interesting about this year is the Avett Bro's are having there own festival at the Hardrock right after OBH with Band of Horses, Brandi Carlile, and others: http://avettsatthebeach.com/  Since BOH are good buds with MMJ and Brandi Carlile joined Jim James on stage in Seattle I am thinking there is a good chance we might see them at OBH...

18 Days!!! :cheesy: :beer: :shocked:
Great call on the timing of the Avett Bros' fest. Would be awesome to have BOH join em for something. Gosh, I can't wait for this!

werduga

A short cab ride into playa del Carmen can find most items that any tourist would be looking for, but I'm sure those same things can be found at the resort too. I think the probably of BOH showing up the last night is very good!

piton87

Is it difficult to get posters. Will there be a huge line at the merch tent then they will sell out when im about to purchase one. Happened at RR16 dont know if I can go through that again.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

slappymoe

Quote from: piton87 on Jan 25, 2017, 04:07 PM
Is it difficult to get posters. Will there be a huge line at the merch tent then they will sell out when im about to purchase one. Happened at RR16 dont know if I can go through that again.
yes, it's impossible to get a poster, you probably shouldn't even try. :evil:

seriously, someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i seem to remember (through the alcohol-induced haze) they still had posters for sale in the lobbies on the second and third days. t-shirts went quickly, but posters were abundant.

odelljaj

Does anyone know if they do a livestream? i doubt they do and I really don't know why they don't start. Phish has it down pat and MMJ would def get $$ from it.

millerjustin

Quote from: piton87 on Jan 25, 2017, 04:07 PM

the merch is sold at tables in the lobbies (not tents) and you shouldn't have any problem at all getting a poster
What's in here won't disappear