Main Menu

Ben Sollee

Started by Mr. White, Aug 16, 2013, 10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

This is a new song from Ben that he performed with some help from interpretive dancers from the Actors Studio in Louisville. My camera work isn't all that special, but the sound is pretty good.

Performance from the Bomhard Theater in the Kentucky Center For The Performing Arts in downtown Louisville on Sunday, November 2, 2014.

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

MusiKel Mama

Saw Ben last night at City Winery in Chicago with this young female-led group named the Accidentals. The Accidentals were from Traverse City, Michigan, and were led by two female string players, who were so stoked to be playing with Ben...they both kept saying that it was the greatest moment in their respective lives to play with their hero, which was such an unbelievable thing to witness. And Ben's new material from the new album is fucking incredible. I don't know how he keeps getting better and more sincere in his writing...but I was brought to tears on several occasions. And he's doing this awesome new thing of recording these sound bites from his life and incorporating them into his story telling, which is just such a beautiful addition to his already legendary storytelling. I love him. He is just such an extraordinary soul. And really do check out The Accidentals when you get a chance...they're going to do great things.

BH

Quote from: MusiKel Mama on Mar 06, 2015, 10:12 AM
Saw Ben last night at City Winery in Chicago with this young female-led group named the Accidentals. The Accidentals were from Traverse City, Michigan, and were led by two female string players, who were so stoked to be playing with Ben...they both kept saying that it was the greatest moment in their respective lives to play with their hero, which was such an unbelievable thing to witness. And Ben's new material from the new album is fucking incredible. I don't know how he keeps getting better and more sincere in his writing...but I was brought to tears on several occasions. And he's doing this awesome new thing of recording these sound bites from his life and incorporating them into his story telling, which is just such a beautiful addition to his already legendary storytelling. I love him. He is just such an extraordinary soul. And really do check out The Accidentals when you get a chance...they're going to do great things.

Glad you bumped this thread, I still don't have his new album and I need to get on that!   There really is nothing like him which is just ONE of the things I love about him.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MusiKel Mama

Quote from: BH on Mar 06, 2015, 10:14 AM
Quote from: MusiKel Mama on Mar 06, 2015, 10:12 AM

Glad you bumped this thread, I still don't have his new album and I need to get on that!   There really is nothing like him which is just ONE of the things I love about him.

I don't think the NEW new one is out yet...he just performed like 3/or 4 songs from it last night, but Jesus, dude, it was mind blowing. Jordan Ellis got snowed in in Lexington, so it was the first time I saw Ben all by his lonesome...and it was one of my favorite. Everyone I was with was seeing him for the first time and just left amazed. (That is secretly my favorite feeling in the world...) I am praying that audio from this will show up because he and The Accidentals did a gnarly version of Electrified...have you heard any of the archive.org shows of his?

MusiKel Mama

https://archive.org/details/bensollee2014-11-19.spc4.hypers.flac16

Forgotten and Loving Memory are new. Loving Memory is one of the most beautiful tunes I've ever laid ears on.

MusiKel Mama

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=2d1cc730a2bb5fb5748688493&id=5ccb7c0607&e=17d30c5f20

New material...I swear by all that's holy my mouth was agape and I had tears streaming down my face when I heard Pretend. I am so fucking stoked that these 3 tracks are available.

Mr. White

I got to see Ben Perform a few songs yesterday at 4th Street Live in Louisville, Kentucky. Here are the last two songs, "Something, Somewhere, Somehow" & "Wild World" (Cat Stevens cover).

(The camera settles out after about 50 seconds. The sound isn't all that good, but it's not terrible.)

Mr. White

Ben Sollee performed with The Louisville Orchestra yesterday, July 4, 2015 on the Great Lawn at Waterfront Park in Louisville, Kentucky. Teddy Abrams conducted the Orchestra. This song is "Electrified". (I recorded this from the second row at the end of Ben's set.)

getinthevan

Does anyone know if a recording ever surfaced from his set at Forecastle in 2012?
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Mr. White

The encore to last night's show at the Brown Theatre in Louisville, Kentucky (Sunday, October 11, 2015). This is the improvised song called, "Iron Jam". It takes a bit to get going, but it's pretty wild toward the end.

Mr. White

Ben Sollee at Churchill Downs - City Song

Mr. White

Ben Sollee performed his song, "Letting Go", at the Actors Theater in Louisville, Kentucky on Tuesday, January 17, 2017.