Main Menu

Spanish Gold

Started by Crayton09, Aug 21, 2013, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

now this is a fun track:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/spanish-gold-reclaim-spirit-of-classic-mtv-on-out-on-the-street-20140224

"Spanish Gold consists of My Morning Jacket drummer Patrick Hallahan, ex-Grupo Fantasma guitarist Adrian Quesada and guitarist/vocalist Dante Schwebel of Hacienda. The trio's debut, South of Nowhere is out May 27th via BMG/Del Mar Records; the group self-produced the release with the help of Collin Dupuis (Jeff the Brotherhood, Bombino)"
Don't you ever turn it off

Clarkwork

Liking the song a good bit, great sound to it
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Fully

There's already a thread for this band, but it might be called Spanish Bombs because that was the first name for them. I went and saw them back in the fall. There are a couple of live videos of them.

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php?topic=17877

parkervb

Quote from: Fully on Feb 24, 2014, 08:46 PM
There's already a thread for this band, but it might be called Spanish Bombs because that was the first name for them. I went and saw them back in the fall. There are a couple of live videos of them.

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php?topic=17877

my bad, i searched for Spanish Gold but didn't see a thread, if JY or someone can move this, that'd be cool.
Don't you ever turn it off

CC

Angelo

I listened to this a bunch yesterday. Very curious to hear how the rest of the album sounds.

Fully

I hope we get a bit of a tour from them when the album comes out. Since MMJ doesn't seem to be touring this summer, surely we will.

manonthemoon

Quote from: Fully on Feb 26, 2014, 05:15 AM
I hope we get a bit of a tour from them when the album comes out. Since MMJ doesn't seem to be touring this summer, surely we will.

I was thinking the same thing with the release date being May, would like to catch a Carl solo show as well.
Alive or Just Breathing

oistheone

Man, this new tune grooves in all the right ways. Dante is the man. Patrick is the man. Adrian, I admittedly don't know all that much about, but I really enjoyed the Grupo Fanstasmo show I saw in 2008, so you know what, he's the man too. Really hope there are some shows lined up for the early summer. Would love to funk the night away with some of my favorite musicians!

Crayton09

Quote from: oistheone on Feb 27, 2014, 03:42 AM
Man, this new tune grooves in all the right ways. Dante is the man. Patrick is the man. Adrian, I admittedly don't know all that much about, but I really enjoyed the Grupo Fanstasmo show I saw in 2008, so you know what, he's the man too. Really hope there are some shows lined up for the early summer. Would love to funk the night away with some of my favorite musicians!

Trust me, Adrian is the funkin' MAN! Check out his other bands Brownout, Ocote Soul Sounds(Martin Perna from Antibalas is also in the band), and Money Chicha. Adrian also recently quit Grupo Fantasma by the way.

APR

I finally got a chance to listen to their single a few times, and it is awesome.  I'm really looking forward to their album and seeing them play.

When the lyrics kick in at the beginning of the song, it sounds similar to an old song (I think by Rockwell).... "I always feel like, somebody's watching me.  And I get no privacy."

timescaper

Free show in Louisville for Waterfront Wednesday on 5/28!

Waddy Peytona

Quote from: timescaper on Mar 11, 2014, 11:43 AM
Free show in Louisville for Waterfront Wednesday on 5/28!

Along with The Broken Spurs. That's going to be a fun show!

capt. scotty

Digging the single more and more with each listen, but I really like those live songs Fully recorded especially the second one (those 2 remain the only material SG has on youtube at the moment!)

Excited for this release, wish it wasnt - seemingly - so far away. Has the sounds of a great summer album. Definitely hoping for a tour as well.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

johnnYYac

Our roving reporter (or should it be "raving"?), Penny Lane, reports in from Austin and SXSW Festival with her photo and video document of Spanish Gold at SXSJ.  They sound great!  Can't wait for Forecastle!

Penny Lane ran into justbecuzido at Deer Tick!

Spanish Gold @ SXSJ 2014

Spanish Gold @ SXSJ 2014 #1

Spanish Gold @ SXSJ 2014 #2

Spanish Gold @ SXSJ 2014 #3

Spanish Gold @ SXSJ 2014 #4
Do I hear Omnichord?

Spanish Gold @ SXSJ 2014 #5
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

APR

Yac doesn't recognize the Spanish Gold drummer (see above)...... he's the guy that toured with Auerbach of the Black Keys a few years ago.

In all seriousness though, thanks for the vids Penny.  They and the pics are great.   I have listened to Out on the Street countless times on Spotify.  I love that song!   Rolling Stone said that it sounds like Rockwell (maybe they read my earlier post as it came out well before their blurb).  It sounds like Spanish Gold are doing a lot of work in Austin.  Hopefully they'll tour when the album is out.  Any word on that?

Mr. White

Thanks for sharing the videos, Penny (and John). I like the last song best.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Penny Lane

Thanks for posting for me, John! They were terrific---Wish it could have been a whole show but the sets at SXSW at so short (showcase type things).
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Fully

From their Instagram. They seem to be shooting a video.

GO4IT

Well that should be an interesting video :shocked:

My favorite radio station, WTMD out of Baltimore, mercifully surprised me (once again!) by playing Out on the Street on my commute in this morning - pretty much the highlight of my crappy day.