Wonderful (The Way I Feel) chords?

Started by Bart, May 03, 2010, 01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart

Does anyone know the chords to the Jim James tune, "Wonderful (The Way I Feel)"?

I can't find it anywhere on the interweb.

Bart

AWESOME!!!  Thanks!!!

If anyone stumbles on this thread, here's a cut and paste from the link above:

I don't understand tabs all that well.  I'm musically illiterate and can't seem to get past a limited repetoire of chords (GCDA) and very slow changes.  I guess that's what you get when you only pick up yer guitar once or twice a year.

Recently, I got into the Omnichord and own two models.  Wonderful was one of the first tunes I learned on this very easy instrument.  I don't remember where I got this, but its just the chords and very simple.  I'm sure there's more detailed versions around.  

You can check out a rough recording of Wonderful (an instrumental) using the QChord on my website: http://johnnyyac.tripod.com/

Wonderful (The Way I Feel)

C
I feel so wonderful
G
Wonderful
C                  D            G
Wonderful the way I feel

C                          G
Doesn't matter to me
C                              G
I could take it or leave it
C                               G
I could live without wind
     Dm
And still live right now

C                         G
Like a tropical forest
C                           G
Like a cop on the beat
When hours get older
            Dm
You get lost in the beat

Chorus (2x)

C                   G
It matters to me
C                                   G
Took a long time to get here
It would have been easy
            Dm
I would not have cared
C                                     G
With the sun on my shoulders
With the wind at my back
I will never get older
           Dm
At least not in my mind

Chorus (2x)
C                G
So Wonderful

Chorus (1x)
C                                            G
I'm going where there ain't no fear
C                                           G
I'm going where the spirit is real
C                                         G
I'm going where the living is easy
                                        Dm
And the people are kind, a new state of mind
C                                                  G
I'm going where there ain't no disease
C                                                 G
I'm going where there ain't no police
I'm going where there ain't no need
                                        Dm
To escape from what is, only spirits at ease

OhhhhhoooOOOOOHhhhhhhhhhh

johnnYYac

QuoteAWESOME!!!  Thanks!!!

If anyone stumbles on this thread, here's a cut and paste from the link above:

I don't understand tabs all that well.  I'm musically illiterate and can't seem to get past a limited repetoire of chords (GCDA) and very slow changes.  I guess that's what you get when you only pick up yer guitar once or twice a year.

Recently, I got into the Omnichord and own two models.  Wonderful was one of the first tunes I learned on this very easy instrument.  I don't remember where I got this, but its just the chords and very simple.  I'm sure there's more detailed versions around.  

You can check out a rough recording of Wonderful (an instrumental) using the QChord on my website: http://johnnyyac.tripod.com/

C
I feel so wonderful
G
Wonderful
Wonderful the way I feel

[highlight]C                          G
Doesn't matter to me[/highlight]
I could live without wind
     Dm
And still live right now

Like a tropical forest
Like a cop on the beat
When hours get older
            Dm
You get lost in the beat

Chorus (2x)

C                   G
It matters to me
C                                   G
It would have been easy
            Dm
I would not have cared
With the wind at my back
I will never get older
           Dm
At least not in my mind

Chorus (2x)
C                G
So Wonderful

Chorus (1x)
I'm going where the spirit is real
C                                         G
                                        Dm
                                        Dm

Hey, that's me!  Note the lines I've bolded are really the chorus.  The song starts abruptly with the line highlighted above.  I also question the first verse's accuracy, after listening to YY's 10/1/09 performance.  It seems there he switches the two verses as I have them above.  I'll research this and get back to this when I get home.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

SaraBananaBear

I hear him singing:

It matters to me
If it would have been be easy
I would not have cared
Like a tropical forest
Like a cop on the beat
When all is in order
You get lost in the heat

and

Doesn't matter to me
I could learn from way back when
And still live right now
And the wind in my back
I will never grow older
At least not in my mind

But then again, my native language is Swedish, so maybe it's totally coucou?  :o
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI hear him singing:

It matters to me
If it would have been be easy
I would not have cared
Like a tropical forest
Like a cop on the beat
When all is in order
You get lost in the heat

and

Doesn't matter to me
And still live right now
And the wind in my back
I will never grow older
At least not in my mind

But then again, my native language is Swedish, so maybe it's totally coucou?  :o

Thats what it is.   :)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

Grandpaboy

I guess there are several versions of this song, but I've made a few corrections to Johnny's adaptation based on Jim's performance at Newport '08 with Montgomery Ward (this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AlrEcEdt40)
> This version also matches SaraBanana's lyrical changes. Here goes:

C                  
I feel so wonderful
Bm
Wonderful
Wonderful the way I feel

C
I feel so wonderful
Bm
Wonderful
Am                  D            G
Wonderful the way I feel

C                     G
It matters to me
C                               Bm
If it would have been easy
    Am
I would not have cared  
Like a tropical forest
Like a cop on the beat
C                     Bm      
When all is in order
           Am
You get lost in the heat

Chorus (2x)

C                   G
Doesn't matter to me
C                                   Bm
           Am
And still live right now
With the wind in my back
C                          Bm
I will never grow older
          Am
At least not in my mind

Chorus (4x)

I'm going where the spiri is near
C                                            Bm
                               Am                         D

C                                              Bm
                                 Am                     D

Erik26

This would fit well into the 'easy tabs' section.
The fact that my heart's beating,
Is all the proof you need

johnnYYac

QuoteThis would fit well into the 'easy tabs' section.

Yeah, maybe admin can move this thread to the Tabs section.  

I don't know why the lyrics are switched and can't remember where I got that version.  I'll have to try G'paboy's version with Bm in place of G.  EDIT: I think I prefer my version, which is also simpler.  However, see below...  

Also, note the song never opens with the chorus, it always opens with "It matters to me."  I've listened to every version of the song I have on the way home from work (about a dozen, mostly from MoF shows).  OCD here!

EDIT:  I think we're all a bit off on these chords.  I just listened to the Nasville version from this tour and from a MoF show.  I don't know if its tuning or capo or what (remember, me no musician), but from the get-go, its not right.  I'm using the OM-84 (Omnichord), which I can usually play along with MMJ, MoF, or YY perfectly well.  

Grandpaboy

QuoteI don't know if its tuning or capo or what  
Yeah, if you were on a guitar, you could just put a capo on the first fret, and you would be in tune with Newport, Nashville, Merriweather or wherever. Instead, you need to transpose everything up by one semitone if you want to play along with Jim. In other words, you'll be dealing with these chords (in order of appearance):

C > C#
Bm > Cm
D > Eb
G > G#
Am > Bbm.

As far as I understand, this isn't really a big deal on an Omnichord – it may even have a transpose function which let's you play C# by pressing C? Some synths do. Anyway, apart from this little obstacle, the chords should be fine. You're right about the intro though; I just listened to the versions from this tour, and Jim no longer starts off with the chorus like he used to do. (By the way, the new arrangements on those versions are pretty sweetpickles. I have always kind of considered this song Jim's attempt to rewrite "Everybody's Talkin'", and that impression is strengthened by the addition of the strings and the little hi-hat beat. Insha'Allah, we shall receive an official version of this song before long.)

johnnYYac

QuoteI don't know if its tuning or capo or what  
Yeah, if you were on a guitar, you could just put a capo on the first fret, and you would be in tune with Newport, Nashville, Merriweather or wherever. Instead, you need to transpose everything up by one semitone if you want to play along with Jim. In other words, you'll be dealing with these chords (in order of appearance):

C > C#
Bm > Cm
D > Eb
G > G#
Am > Bbm.

As far as I understand, this isn't really a big deal on an Omnichord – it may even have a transpose function which let's you play C# by pressing C? Some synths do. Anyway, apart from this little obstacle, the chords should be fine. You're right about the intro though; I just listened to the versions from this tour, and Jim no longer starts off with the chorus like he used to do. (By the way, the new arrangements on those versions are pretty sweetpickles. I have always kind of considered this song Jim's attempt to rewrite "Everybody's Talkin'", and that impression is strengthened by the addition of the strings and the little hi-hat beat. Insha'Allah, we shall receive an official version of this song before long.)

Thanks, GPB.  I'll have to check this out.  My kids are asleep, so no Omnichord tonight.  

If you listen to the recording I posted on my site (http://johnnyyac.tripod.com), you'll hear an early version I did using the straight C-G-C-G-C-G-Dm (verse)/C-G-C-D-G (chorus) version posted above.  It may not match Jim's guitar, but I'm happy with it and don't expect I'll be joining Jim on stage anytime soon.  By myself, I can fool most people.

Grandpaboy

QuoteIf you listen to the recording I posted on my site (http://johnnyyac.tripod.com), you'll hear an early version I did using the straight C-G-C-G-C-G-Dm (verse)/C-G-C-D-G (chorus) version posted above.  It may not match Jim's guitar, but I'm happy with it and don't expect I'll be joining Jim on stage anytime soon.  By myself, I can fool most people.

Nice website, sir. I gotta get me an omni. Do you know if Jim's model is the OM 84? When I listen to your recordings, the sound of the 84 seems more MMJ-ish than the Q-Chord. But I can tell from your photos section, that there are several other models. Would you happen to know which one Jim uses?
As for your recording of "Wonderful", I'm sure you can probably fool most folks with a G chord in place of the Bm. That's because those two chords have quite a few notes in common. However, there's an old saying in Tennessee or Texas which goes something like this: "Fool me once ... Shame on you ... If you fool me you can't get fooled again". Take another listen to the chord change from G to Dm; it brings the harmonies in a direction which is untravelled in Wonderful. There's no Dm in the song. That's not to say your version doesn't sound good. It does. It's just more your own composition than a cover during those changes. Which is awesome, if you ask me. My suggestions for corrections were aimed at Bart, who asked for the chords to begin with. However, that dude seems long gone, so he's probably happy with the C-G-Dm version too. And as long as you guys are happy, I'm happy too.
By the way, this deserves to be lifted out from your website and posted here too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtO712SCVc
> Pretty damn impressive.

johnnYYac

QuoteIf you listen to the recording I posted on my site (http://johnnyyac.tripod.com), you'll hear an early version I did using the straight C-G-C-G-C-G-Dm (verse)/C-G-C-D-G (chorus) version posted above.  It may not match Jim's guitar, but I'm happy with it and don't expect I'll be joining Jim on stage anytime soon.  By myself, I can fool most people.

Nice website, sir. I gotta get me an omni. Do you know if Jim's model is the OM 84? When I listen to your recordings, the sound of the 84 seems more MMJ-ish than the Q-Chord. But I can tell from your photos section, that there are several other models. Would you happen to know which one Jim uses?
As for your recording of "Wonderful", I'm sure you can probably fool most folks with a G chord in place of the Bm. That's because those two chords have quite a few notes in common. However, there's an old saying in Tennessee or Texas which goes something like this: "Fool me once ... Shame on you ... If you fool me you can't get fooled again". Take another listen to the chord change from G to Dm; it brings the harmonies in a direction which is untravelled in Wonderful. There's no Dm in the song. That's not to say your version doesn't sound good. It does. It's just more your own composition than a cover during those changes. Which is awesome, if you ask me. My suggestions for corrections were aimed at Bart, who asked for the chords to begin with. However, that dude seems long gone, so he's probably happy with the C-G-Dm version too. And as long as you guys are happy, I'm happy too.
By the way, this deserves to be lifted out from your website and posted here too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtO712SCVc
> Pretty damn impressive.

Jim James has used the OM-84 in the past, but currently favors what I believe is the OM-100, which I will get eventually.  They run well over $200, sometimes over $300 on eBay.  

I have seen video of JJ with the OM-84 but recent video freeze-framing shows what might be an OM-200 or 300 (more dials above and to the left of the chord keys).  

I emailed JJ through his management to ask what Omnichord he favors and asking him to visit my website.  Who knows if he ever saw it.  My dream is to have him add vocals to my cover "Bermuda Hitchhiker".

FiddleCastro

I think Jim uses a 200/250, it's a darker one, and it now glows in the dark around the edges!
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Grandpaboy

Hmmm, well that all sounds a bit confusing. I'm probably just gonna try to get my hands on the cheapest model I can find. If it's true that Jim uses all these different variants, then they must have a quite similar sound and the difference between would then lie in the functions - with the exception of the Q, which does sound quite different from the Omni in Johnny's recordings. Does that make sense?
Oh, and good luck with the Jim project, Johnny. In the meantime, how about doing the vocals yourself? That would be nice to hear.

johnnYYac

QuoteHmmm, well that all sounds a bit confusing. I'm probably just gonna try to get my hands on the cheapest model I can find. If it's true that Jim uses all these different variants, then they must have a quite similar sound and the difference between would then lie in the functions - with the exception of the Q, which does sound quite different from the Omni in Johnny's recordings. Does that make sense?
Oh, and good luck with the Jim project, Johnny. In the meantime, how about doing the vocals yourself? That would be nice to hear.

You haven't heard me sing.  Also, I need a decent mic.  Definely avoid the Qchord if you want the MMJ-style Omnichord sound.  Going back too far (OM-27 or OM-36) might also disappoint.  I'd suggest the OM-84 as a good starting point, but people are getting over $200 on eBay.  I lucked out, finding mine on Craigslist in Utah for $150, including shipping.  

Bart

Is that D chord in the chorus correct?  It sounds a little off to me, but I don't know what sounds better.  

Does anyone else feel that way, or is my ear malfunctioning (again)?

aMillionDreams

I agree with GrandpaBoy's version, I'd just add the intro part which is:

G  Bm  C  D  G (walk up on the bass notes G-A-B)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]