Petition for an Unplugged Set at One Big Holiday

Started by alexzbik, Oct 27, 2013, 12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 17, 2013, 12:59 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on Nov 14, 2013, 03:24 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Nov 13, 2013, 10:47 AM
Quote from: rincon2 on Nov 11, 2013, 05:43 PM
If Led Zeppelin can do it in the middle of a show, then MMJ can do 30 minutes in the middle of one of 3 2.5 hour shows. Who would not be into that?

me
Just to be sure, a set of Wonderful, Bermuda Highway,Butch Cassidy, I needed it most, etc would be a bummer?

Honestly if they went into a straight up acoustic set for that long during one of these shows, yes, that will be a bummer.  I've been to JJ solo acoustic shows. They're great. But I ain't paying 2000$ to go to mexico to see JJ solo acoustic shows, I'm going to see MMJ alter my world on a beach with some face melting and soul shattering RnR.
I look at it this way. They are going to play plenty of acoustic songs over three nights, possibly 10-15, or more. Having a 4 or 5 song set, where they change the set up, maybe gather up front in a casual manner, would be something different. 20 minutes or so out of 7-8 hours combined. Something different equals something special. Having it by the pool would be either something only a limited number would get to enjoy, or a total clusterfuck. Maybe we will remain disagreeing about this.

e_wind

Quote from: rincon2 on Nov 17, 2013, 08:20 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Nov 17, 2013, 12:59 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on Nov 14, 2013, 03:24 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Nov 13, 2013, 10:47 AM
Quote from: rincon2 on Nov 11, 2013, 05:43 PM
If Led Zeppelin can do it in the middle of a show, then MMJ can do 30 minutes in the middle of one of 3 2.5 hour shows. Who would not be into that?

me
Just to be sure, a set of Wonderful, Bermuda Highway,Butch Cassidy, I needed it most, etc would be a bummer?

Honestly if they went into a straight up acoustic set for that long during one of these shows, yes, that will be a bummer.  I've been to JJ solo acoustic shows. They're great. But I ain't paying 2000$ to go to mexico to see JJ solo acoustic shows, I'm going to see MMJ alter my world on a beach with some face melting and soul shattering RnR.
I look at it this way. They are going to play plenty of acoustic songs over three nights, possibly 10-15, or more. Having a 4 or 5 song set, where they change the set up, maybe gather up front in a casual manner, would be something different. 20 minutes or so out of 7-8 hours combined. Something different equals something special. Having it by the pool would be either something only a limited number would get to enjoy, or a total clusterfuck. Maybe we will remain disagreeing about this.

I think we will have to agree to disagree, because I am not hoping or  thinking they'll play 15 acoustic songs. Maybe I'm just not remembering all the acoustic joints the played in PC last year.

Edit:
I just counted and you're correct. They played 14 songs that could be acoustically arranged if they aren't straight up acoustic. I reluctantly included a few that are acoustic but require the full band for maximum awesomeness, like At Dawn.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

gardenparty

aren't they doing an acoustic set during guest check out or something like that?  thought i heard something along those lines

rincon2

Quote from: gardenparty on Dec 11, 2013, 04:11 PM
aren't they doing an acoustic set during guest check out or something like that?  thought i heard something along those lines
Everyone will miss their plane.

Vitz

This is not about Jim singing ballads solo on a guitar.  We are talking about full band, full blown acoustic arrangements.  Nothing about this would be boring or slow.  Y'all need to go back and listen to the bridge school benefit, if you have not done so already.  That setlist included full-band acoustic versions of Circuital, Victory Dance and Harvest Moon.  The Preservation Hall show in 2010 included acoustic versions of Dondante, Mother in Law, Highly Suspicious, Carnival Time, The Way He Sings, etc., etc.  If you don't think they can rock acoustic, I don't know what to tell you.  This would be awesome and unique, and I'm all for it.

e_wind

Quote from: Vitz on Dec 12, 2013, 11:04 AM
This is not about Jim singing ballads solo on a guitar.  We are talking about full band, full blown acoustic arrangements.  Nothing about this would be boring or slow.  Y'all need to go back and listen to the bridge school benefit, if you have not done so already.  That setlist included full-band acoustic versions of Circuital, Victory Dance and Harvest Moon.  The Preservation Hall show in 2010 included acoustic versions of Dondante, Mother in Law, Highly Suspicious, Carnival Time, The Way He Sings, etc., etc.  If you don't think they can rock acoustic, I don't know what to tell you.  This would be awesome and unique, and I'm all for it.

yeah and I've seen Jim and Patrick only (Jim on bass) play OBH. It was awesome and unique, but the real deal is better. just sayin

johnnYYac

There was this gem last October, too, to give credence to the idea of some acoustic arrangements of otherwise plugged in rockers...

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 03, 2012, 01:05 PM
Jim James w/Carl Broemel, @ Colonial Theater, Keene, NH
Monday, October 1

TONIGHT I WANT TO CELEBRATE
THE RIGHT PLACE
WONDERFUL
WELCOME HOME
BERMUDA HWY
CHANGING WORLD
CARRIED AWAY
HOPEFULLY
LOOK AT YOU
WAY HE SINGS
WONDERFUL MAN
I WILL BE THERE
GOLDEN (w/Craig Finn)
GIDEON
I'M AMAZED
DAY IS COMING

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

Damn John. I didn't realize that setlist was so bad ass. Carried Away, The Right Place, Welcome Home...

Vitz

Does a recording of the Jim and Carl show circulate?

alexzbik

Quote from: Vitz on Dec 12, 2013, 11:04 AM

finally somebody gets it!
Stolen as the war begun, this time your soul is my one.

e_wind

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that wouldn't be awesome. I love Acoustic Citaouca, Acoustic Chorale, and the likes. I dream of a Jim solo show a la Newport 2008. I just think OBH carries more of a "party" atmosphere and inclination.

PC3 last year had a segment that was:
O is the one
Wonderful man
Easy mornin
Run thru

Those 4 songs back to back shattered my world and shit got crazy. I want that for 72 hours straight.

Obviously different strokes for different folks though. I'll be happy no matter what they play. Fingers crossed for a staring contest

APR

Don't forget Masterplan started that incredible segment e_wind mentioned.  My mind was blown by that night and particularly by that stretch of songs.

With that said, a little acoustic stretch of songs would be great in a three night run (but not so much if only one night).  As great as Pearl Jam's shows are, it's equally great and a different experience when they all sit down for three or four songs during the first encore and mellow out with acoustics.  Plus, I've seen MMJ about 20 times and never acoustic so I'm in for a Bridge School type stretch at some point.  I think Jim's voice would stand out in an incredible way.

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

johnnYYac

Quote from: Mr. White on Dec 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
Quote from: Vitz on Dec 13, 2013, 02:16 PM
Does a recording of the Jim and Carl show circulate?

johnnYYac posted some videos of the show in this thread.

http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,16600.msg308502.html#msg308502
Thanks for posting the link to that thread.  I just re-read the whole thing.  What an amazing time...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.