2013-2014 College Basketball

Started by Mr. White, Nov 02, 2013, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Jaimoe

Go Orange (and I'll be keeping an eye on next year's NBA No.1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins' one-and-done season with the Jayhawks)!

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 03, 2013, 07:15 AM
Go Orange (and I'll be keeping an eye on next year's NBA No.1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins' one-and-done season with the Jayhawks)!

And he's not beating around the bush about being one and done either:

Andrew Wiggins likely one-and-done

I'm not a big fan of Kansas, but I am glad Wiggins is there as opposed to UK...

Jaimoe

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 05, 2013, 11:09 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 03, 2013, 07:15 AM

And he's not beating around the bush about being one and done either:

Andrew Wiggins likely one-and-done

I'm not a big fan of Kansas, but I am glad Wiggins is there as opposed to UK...

When you get favourably compared to LeBron (in terms of raw talent and hype), then he's got to be one-and-done. On an aside, I'm very excited about Team Canada's men's basketball team in the future with these rising stars: Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph (he's rightly being brought along slowly with the Spurs), Kelly Olynyk along with several really promising NCAA up-and-comers such as SU's Tyler Ennis, Baylor's Brady Heslip and Michigan's Nik Stauskas. None of these guys are even 23 yet.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 05, 2013, 04:25 PM
When you get favourably compared to LeBron (in terms of raw talent and hype), then he's got to be one-and-done. On an aside, I'm very excited about Team Canada's men's basketball team in the future with these rising stars: Anthony Bennett, Andrew Wiggins, Andrew Nicholson, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph (he's rightly being brought along slowly with the Spurs), Kelly Olynyk along with several really promising NCAA up-and-comers such as SU's Tyler Ennis, Baylor's Brady Heslip and Michigan's Nik Stauskas. None of these guys are even 23 yet.

I wish Anthony Bennett would start living up to his potential for the Cavs...  :undecided:

As for Team Canada, that is a ton of young talent you guys are breeding up there.  But, basketball is to Canada what hockey is to the USA.  We have our share of good to great hockey players here in the US, but we don't have near the talent and depth Team Canada produces on the ice.  Same goes for Canada and hoops...

Jaimoe

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 06, 2013, 09:38 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Nov 05, 2013, 04:25 PM

I wish Anthony Bennett would start living up to his potential for the Cavs...  :undecided:

As for Team Canada, that is a ton of young talent you guys are breeding up there.  But, basketball is to Canada what hockey is to the USA.  We have our share of good to great hockey players here in the US, but we don't have near the talent and depth Team Canada produces on the ice.  Same goes for Canada and hoops...

I wouldn't worry about Bennett, yet. He was hurt during the summer and only had a few pre-season games to adjust. He's still more raw than developed, so he'll take time. Having fellow-Canuck Tristan on the team should help him.

I know where you are coming from with your basketball-hockey comparison, but I have to respectfully disagree to your points, to an extent. Basketball is a big sport in Canada, especially amongst the youth, but we have a small population of 37 million. Right now, many, including scribes in the US and in Europe, think Canada is entering the Golden Age of basketball, and they are right. Some think Canada will be the world's No. 2 team by the end of the decade. There's tons more good young players being developed right now, including some that don't leave to the States on a scholarship. We know we'll never be the top team, but we'll certainly be able to offer the US good competition soon. The cool and exciting thing is that we are no longer developing NBAers that become only bench warmers and minor role players (see: Mike Smrek, Bill Wennington).

Don't sell your US hockey program short. The US is going through a mini-Golden Age right now. Your 2014 Men's Olympic Hockey Team will be really solid and are a legit gold medal contender. Just because the NHL is the fourth big pro sport in the US, doesn't mean your grassroots programs aren't successful. Hockey is booming in several states including Colorado, Minnesota (of course) and California (thanks to the Great One's era with the Kings and the recent Cup win). The US can roll three big lines and should have a solid defense and great goaltending. Heck, Popeye Jones' kid should make the team as an 18-year-old.

iLikeBeer

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Mr. White.   :beer:

I am a bit superstitious about posting good things about Michigan in here.  Seems like every time I do, they go and lose.  But now that the conference play has ended, I thought I'd throw out props to UofM for bringing home their first outright Big 10 regular season championship since 1986!!!

I gotta say, with the loss of Trey Burke and Hardaway Jr. To the NBA Lottery and pre-season All-American, Mitch McGary to a season ending injury and stumbling to a 6-4 start, thoughts of just making the NCAA Tournament seemed like it would be a stretch let alone competing for a conference championship!

After coming within a missed layup last year vs IU for a share of the conference, I'm really hoping they make Tom Creen watch us raise the banner when we play IU on Saturday in the regular season finale and follow that up with a nice beatdown of the Hoosiers for the perfect icing in the cake of this regular season...  :cool:

Jackets N Pones

Quote from: Mr. White on Mar 05, 2014, 10:42 PM
Hey Jackets N Pones,
I moved your quote from the 2012-2013 thread to this one.

Quote from Jackets N Pones March 5, 2014

"Cards and PONES tonight!!! SMU home winning streak is on the line! Can't wait."

That was a pretty good game. SMU came out strong. They had Louisville by 14 in the 1st half. If it weren't for Russ Smith turning it on with all the 3's in the second half, SMU would have taken it. Good game.

Also, I love your coach, Larry Brown. I have been a 76rs fan since the early 1980's when Dr. J was finishing out his carrier. He did a great job with them when Iverson was playing. I also liked Detroit a little back in the early 2000's when Prince played for him. (I also love UK and all their former players who made it in the NBA.)

It's too bad not more people want to talk/post more about college basketball this year. I guess Facebook is just too much of a draw and just too easy for most to use these days...

Thanks Mr. White! Sorry for the delayed response. That was a great game but Russ Smith was just on a different level. Wish we could have gotten that one to put us over the top for a spot in the dance as dropping our last three definitely hurt our chances. I am definitely proud of the Stangs as the timing of the Larry Brown hire/coliseum renovation/conference re-alignment seems to be shaping up. Also expectations will be high with this Emmanuel Muddiay kid arriving next year. Looking forward to our upcoming showdown vs. LSU in the NIT and good luck to all of you Cards fans in the tourney!

Have fun watching the games everybody!
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

e_wind

Gotta give it to UK for finally playing like the team they're supposed to be. That being said, Let's go Wisconsin!
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Come Closer

Jackets N Pones

Great season Ponies. Turns out the NIT gave our squad some good post-season experience so hopefully we can build off of this year and make some noise next year.
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Come Closer

Yeah good game, UK's luck ran out. FTs killed them and I didn't really agree with letting UConn run down the shot clock down four points and under a minute left. Even though UConn is a great FT shooting team, you have to extend the clock in that case in my opinion. But as a UConn fan I was happy he took that approach. I didn't think Kemba's run in 2011 could be topped, but this might have been the most fun I've had watching a tourney. 99 is right there too.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Mr. White on Apr 08, 2014, 12:12 AM
Those 5 starting freshmen at UK are still some of the best college players to ever start a Championship game.

No where close to being some of the best college players to start a Championship game.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Mr. White on Apr 08, 2014, 08:38 PM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Apr 08, 2014, 08:30 PM
Quote from: Mr. White on Apr 08, 2014, 12:12 AM
Those 5 starting freshmen at UK are still some of the best college players to ever start a Championship game.

No where close to being some of the best college players to start a Championship game.

What I meant to say (type) was "SOME of the best college FRESHMEN players to start a Championship game", but I fucked it up by being sleepy, frustrated, sad, and being told by my wife to come to bed. Anyway, nothing ever seems to be acceptable to you, Tracy 2112, when it comes to the thoughts and opinions of others in regard to sports teams, so...FUCK OFF...respectfully yours...

Edit: I forgot to emphasize the word SOME! That is a qualifying term meaning FUCKING SOME...SOME...SOME, DUMB FUCK!!!

I responded correctly to your original post. Take a Xanax.

BTW, you can just call me Tracy; no need for formalities with the 2112 part.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.