Main Menu

2014 Festivals

Started by e_wind, Jan 14, 2014, 12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

What line ups are looking good so far?

Coachella's and NOLA Jazz Fest's look pretty underwhelming, but both are boasting a couple pretty great acts.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

walterfredo

I actually think NOLA looks great, would love to go the first weekend for the Santana>Phish>Clapton trifecta.

e_wind

yeah the more I look at the line up the more I like it.
I can't load the daily line up's, but if Bruce and SCI are on the same weekend, I may have to go.

Santana, Clapton, Phish in one weekend is a pretty guitar solo heavy weekend. I don't mean that in a bad way.

e_wind

i didn't even notice Isbell on the list.  :thumbsup:
I'm not sure how I feel about Public Enemy playing shows in 2014, but it could be cool.

mahg33ta

sheezh Eric you are a tough grader, my friend, if NOLA underwhelms you.   I'm with you on Coachella.

e_wind

Quote from: mahg33ta on Jan 14, 2014, 01:16 PM
sheezh Eric you are a tough grader, my friend, if NOLA underwhelms you.   I'm with you on Coachella.

yeah I take that back. I think the underwhelming part is that no matter what the line up is, I'd realistically only see about 1/5 of what I wanted to see. But I take it back either way.

MrWhippy

Quote from: mahg33ta on Jan 14, 2014, 01:16 PM

I may be biased because I am going, but it's hard for me to feel like Coachella is very underwhelming. 

It's got what is said to be the only shows by The Replacements in 2014, Outkast, and what is probably one of the very few US shows by The Knife on the first night at the top of the bill.

Saturday has one of the best hard rock bands in the world right now (Queens of the Stone Age) and Muse who put on a damn good live show.  Also Pet Shop Boys, whose 2013 tour got serious rave reviews closing out one of the tents.

Sunday has Beck, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Arcade Fire at the top of the line.

Also, tons of intersting mid-tier acts with Afghan Whigs, Motorhead, The Cult, Jagwar Ma, Superchunk, Darkside, Warpaint, Frank Turner J Roddy, and many others. 

I think alot of people are turned off by Coachella by all the cheesy EDM and pop stuff near the top of it, but those things will conveniently draw huge crowds while great acts play on smaller stages to very comfortable crowds at the same time.

I know it's not real fair to compare Coachella and Fifefly, which is a much smaller festival with probably much less resoruces for booking talent, but I feel like Firefly's lineup looks very un-diverse compared to Coachella, and it would not take lots of resources to pull together a diverse lineup.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

oistheone

Ahhh yes, I almost forgot how much this time of year excites/frustrates me!

I'll go where the lineup takes me.

Fully

I've got three that are on my list. I do like Jazzfest though I'm not going. I'm hoping Shaky Knees is a bad lineup bc I'd like to do Bonnaroo and Forecastle.

(Whippy, I wasn't impressed with Coachella until you broke it down and I thought about it.)

MrWhippy

Quote from: Fully on Jan 14, 2014, 08:37 PM
(Whippy, I wasn't impressed with Coachella until you broke it down and I thought about it.)

I feel like a big thing I look for in festivals is ones that offer something unique, that you can only experience there, instead of just a collection of who happens to be touring/available. 

Coachella didn't do as good of a job this year as they have done in some other years of securing rare things you can't see elsewhere, but they probably will have done a better job than just about any other festival when it is all said and done. 

Bonnaroo generally doesn't get many rare acts, but it is also good at offering things you can only see there, due to the superjams/collaborations, potential to see acts do late night shows, long set times, etc.

Also, in extolling the virtues of Coachella this year, I can't believe I fogot to mention Byran Ferry, GOAT, and Mogwai. 
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

mahg33ta

Mountain jam is out.  No Mmj. 

joey_rogo

Kyle where did you see it, I'm curious. Can't wait until noon haha

mahg33ta

Mountain Jam:

Gov't Mule, Pretty Lights, Bob Weir and Rat Dog, Damian Marley,  Beats Antique, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Umphrey's McGee, The Avett Brothers, Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds, Blitzen Trapper, Anders Osborne,  Antibalas,  Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Citizens Band Radio, Connor Kennedy, Dark Star Orchestra, The Dough Rollers, The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger (ft. Sean lennon & charlotte kemp muhl), Jackie Greene, Jeff Tweedy, Jonathan Wilson, Lucius, Moon Taxi, Paul Green Rock Academy, Reignwolf, Sean Rowe, Trampled By Turtles, Treetop Flyers, Valerie June, The Weeks

kintante5

Should we assume MMJ is off the festival circuit this year and maybe won't begin touring til the fall/winter?   I thought for sure they'd be at Mountain Jam

parkervb

Mountain Jam may be my jam this year!

http://mountainjam.com/

From Jambase on FB: RatDog, Gov't Mule, Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Jeff Tweedy, The Avett Brothers, Tedeschi Trucks Band announced

update: here's the JB link

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/120440/Mountain-Jam-2014-RatDog-Mule-Avetts-Tweedy-And-More
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

Quote from: kintante5 on Jan 15, 2014, 09:45 AM
Should we assume MMJ is off the festival circuit this year and maybe won't begin touring til the fall/winter?   I thought for sure they'd be at Mountain Jam

i don't think these are full lineups as of now.  I fully expect they'll be hitting a few festies
Don't you ever turn it off

joey_rogo

Quote from: mahg33ta on Jan 15, 2014, 09:15 AM
Mountain Jam:

Gov't Mule, Pretty Lights, Bob Weir and Rat Dog, Damian Marley,  Beats Antique, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Umphrey's McGee, The Avett Brothers, Sister Sparrow & The Dirty Birds, Blitzen Trapper, Anders Osborne,  Antibalas,  Chris Robinson Brotherhood, Citizens Band Radio, Connor Kennedy, Dark Star Orchestra, The Dough Rollers, The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger (ft. Sean lennon & charlotte kemp muhl), Jackie Greene, Jeff Tweedy, Jonathan Wilson, Lucius, Moon Taxi, Paul Green Rock Academy, Reignwolf, Sean Rowe, Trampled By Turtles, Treetop Flyers, Valerie June, The Weeks

Not too shabby. I STILL haven't seen Blitzen Trapper. And ever since port chester I have wanted to see Antibalas again.

Penny Lane

Quote from: kintante5 on Jan 15, 2014, 09:45 AM

that's what i'm assuming..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill