Trying to Make Sense of Jam Bands

Started by EverythingChanges, Feb 04, 2014, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOWJO8185

Quote from: Shug on Feb 10, 2014, 10:36 AM
Try Built To Spill.  NOT a jam band, but an indie rock band that sometimes jams with a psychedelic sensibility.  They are probably more purple and blue than red and orange, I think!  :rolleyes:    Lots of guitars.  Matthew and Amy Jones can certainly recommend some specific stuff better than I can, but they do have a good live album from 2000 and they still tour a lot. 

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/1013-live/

Built to Spill Live at Union Transfer (full complete show in HD) - Philadephia, PA - 11/2/2013

I just came in here to recommend their live album. Well done, sir, well done.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Feb 10, 2014, 11:16 AM
Quote from: Shug on Feb 10, 2014, 10:36 AM
Try Built To Spill.  NOT a jam band, but an indie rock band that sometimes jams with a psychedelic sensibility.  They are probably more purple and blue than red and orange, I think!  :rolleyes:    Lots of guitars.  Matthew and Amy Jones can certainly recommend some specific stuff better than I can, but they do have a good live album from 2000 and they still tour a lot. 

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/1013-live/

Built to Spill Live at Union Transfer (full complete show in HD) - Philadephia, PA - 11/2/2013

I just came in here to recommend their live album. Well done, sir, well done.

Yep, this is what I want!  The Cortez cover is amazing!  Tracy tried showing these guys to me before, but I didn't latch on then.  Glad I am now.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I appreciate all of the help.  :thumbsup:

Now to find this sucker on vinyl.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

LBSUNFLWR

my vote would also be for Widespread Panic, of the bands mentioned. Lots of Soundboards out there you can find.
I really don't know what you categorize as a "jamband" bc to me WSP is a rock band just as much as The Black Crowes are a rock band. They both have amazing guitars, and very extended solos, and do some incredible covers.  I'd go for either of those 2.

I have seen Tea Leaf Green many times and they are very fun live. Don't really listen to them on album ever, but if you can find a soundboard or they're coming your way I would definitely check them out live!

but if you aren't already familiar with the Grateful Dead then you shouldn't be avoiding them!! That's what you should seek out. The Winterland 77 Boxset is some of my favorite stuff. The Dicks Picks series is pretty fantastic. There's enough live material out there and it shouldn't matter that you won't get the chance to see them play. Go on archive.org and start listening to GD soundboards.  :thumbsup:

and as for current and upcoming stuff, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood is jammy and delicious. New tour dates just announced for this Spring with many more to come...

iLikeBeer

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Feb 10, 2014, 03:14 PM

and as for current and upcoming stuff, the Chris Robinson Brotherhood is jammy and delicious. New tour dates just announced for this Spring with many more to come...

Thanks for the heads up on CRB tour dates!  :beer:  I'm hoping they add some midwest dates over the summer!  I missed them the last time they rolled thru my neck of the woods and I'm not going to make that mistake again...

geekfreak

wow where to start. Gov`t Mule CRB The Black Crowes Phish ABB Ben Haper moe or widespread panic these are all well worth checking out... :drum:
welcome to the cosmos of peace, love and ????

e_wind

I'm not that into Jam bands, but you could try to original jam band...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcX8es_P2bo

That is my favorite GD/Jerry song, hands down. Also, some of GD's studio albums are perfect, making the transition into GD easier.

Also, despite having the worst name ever, String Cheese Incident is my favorite current jam band. They've played some of the best shows I've ever seen. WSP is pretty good, too. Both SCI and WSP seem to be bands that non-jam fans get int. WSP more so, probably.

UM is my least favorite. Their show is a giant panic attack.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ffghtrs

There are a lot of great suggestions here.  Grateful Dead.  Jonathan Wilson is great.  and Tedeschi Trucks BAND! HOLY FUCKING SHIT.  ook ok ok ok....so go buy Everybody's Talkin' by Tedeschi Trucks Band.  And check out the live version of Midnight in Harlem.  That is a funky, soulful fucking jam. I saw them this past summer, BLEW MY FUCKING MIND OUT OF MY FUCKING HEAD.  so true. and and nadnand MMJ FOR THE RETURN IN 2015!

P.S.  i was thinking that as long as i get to see some Wilco and MMJ in the next year i'll be happy with my concert going experiences through the local attractions in Seattle.  But the problem i have in Seattle is i really only enjoy the Punk bands here.  I like the folky rock stuff like head and the heart but seriously Success! a band in Seattle blow my mind every time i see them.  and Honey Badger Seattle and Western Settings.  Some great musicians getting some angst out but in a very stylish way.  Also the Jam Band Flowmotion is pretty good but i kind of can't stand Jam Band other than the Dead, String Cheese Incident (at times) and Phish (when they aren't on too many drugs).  any who i'm off to write a literature review for class. LOVE YOU ALL! 
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

MMPJ6306

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Feb 04, 2014, 04:23 PM
Maybe I'm looking at jam bands, when I should be looking at bands who jam occasionally. 
"I have also stumbled upon Yo La Tengo, but they are... too quiet for what I want."

YLT wouldn't have been my first thought but if you love Built To Spill I'd recommend taking another look. they do share a lot with traditional jam bands- they tour relentlessly, they have a HUGE cover repertoire (like way bigger than MMJ or any band I listen to), and they do one or two 'epic guitar freak outs' every show- but its more Velvet Underground or Crazy Horse than the Dead or Phish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HPW3jLZUaQ
and check out their other songs "Blue Line Swinger" "Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind" "Stupid Things" and "The Story of Yo La Tango"

or also maybe check out Pearl Jam live? they "jam occasionally."
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

ffghtrs

Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

ruralt

Kind of an old thread so I apologize if this place has a thing about bumping older threads.

I have a very hard time with jam bands too. I like the Dead but they're in another realm all together to me. Umphrey's is sort of cool but their vocalist is a deal breaker for me.

Been combing the interwebz tonight giving this scene another shot and came across this band called Tauk and they are pretty damn awesome, imo. They're instrumental  - not a drawback to me but might be for others. I dunno how to describe their music - jammy, jazzy, fusion prog rock, I guess.

Don't know what they sound like live but their two studio records are sounding good so that is a good sign, as most bands in this scene I've come across tend to have below average studio offerings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVLbfqt3-0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sl33NP3pEc

ffghtrs

i vote for Widespread panic

and TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND  EVERYBODY's TALKIN'

parkervb

Quote from: ruralt on Jun 16, 2015, 11:29 PM
Kind of an old thread so I apologize if this place has a thing about bumping older threads.

I have a very hard time with jam bands too. I like the Dead but they're in another realm all together to me. Umphrey's is sort of cool but their vocalist is a deal breaker for me.

Been combing the interwebz tonight giving this scene another shot and came across this band called Tauk and they are pretty damn awesome, imo. They're instrumental  - not a drawback to me but might be for others. I dunno how to describe their music - jammy, jazzy, fusion prog rock, I guess.

Don't know what they sound like live but their two studio records are sounding good so that is a good sign, as most bands in this scene I've come across tend to have below average studio offerings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVLbfqt3-0g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sl33NP3pEc

I've seen Tauk twice now and these dudes kill. Their drummer is HIGH ENERGY.
Don't you ever turn it off

SixProudWalkers

90% of shows I see are jammy so I'll try to help here. First off go listen to the Dead, they built the foundation over which other jam bands play.

If MMJ is what stands between the Indie and jammy scenes, Perpetual Groove falls somewhere between MMJ and the jammy scene. They were on hiatus but they're actually touring again a bit, hopefully they'll be back in full swing. This would be my number 1 jam band recommendation to a MMJ fan I think
Check this P groove song out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZHE9I8GmEQ

Other bands...
Umphrey's is shit IMO, they're skilled musicians but their lyrics suck and frankly they just play too metally for me. I've also tripped too many times at their shows for whatever reason, and they're not really a band to see on acid.

String Cheese Incident is great, some meh lyrics/songs but overall great. If you can dig the bluegrass aspect Railroad Earth has some great newgrass/Americana.

Tedeschi Trucks band is outstanding for a more southerny sound. Along with them is WSP which is great, Gov't mule which I don't like too much.. Tea Leaf is wonderful

I fucking love Twiddle, but they're straight jammy so I'm not sure how much you'd like them. Lots of goofy songs, lot of noodling but I love it. The Werks kind of fall into this category too

Phish is great...

Alex Bleeker & The Freaks also fall in between MMJ/Jammy, he's the bassist for Real Estate, great shit.

Jam Bands are an acquired taste. Jam bands are all about the flow of their concert, and you'll only familiarize yourself with that flow by seeing them live or listening to a concert online. What I'm getting at though is that it takes quite a bit of work to really get into a jam band, but it pays off. When I found the Dead I literally didn't listen to any other band on my own for months. I just listened to a new concert every day. My brother gave me a ton of shit about it until he found Phish and listened to them for months in a row too..

Go listen to Perpetual Groove!

Edit: Your biggest friend in this journey is archive.org. The Dead have their own archive section, that's how I got into them. It has live concerts of pretty much every jam band imaginable, and actually quite a few My Morning Jacket concerts too. https://archive.org/details/MyMorningJacket

Angelo

Am I out of bounds by making the generalization that hardcore jam band fans aren't too interested in albums? I've got jam band friends that are my age, mid 30s, that don't seem to give a shit about albums but they're really big fans of music and they go to a good amount of shows.

LBSUNFLWR

I rarely to never listen to Grateful Dead albums. there's just so many soundboards out there and I absolutely think live music is better! with just about all bands. If you're no good live then you're no good.

I do still play MMJ albums but the live shows are way more exciting.

parkervb

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jun 30, 2015, 09:45 AM
I rarely to never listen to Grateful Dead albums. there's just so many soundboards out there and I absolutely think live music is better! with just about all bands. If you're no good live then you're no good.

Workingman's Dead. You should work that into a rotation of albums. I can't seem to find live recordings that match some of the vocal harmonies on that album.
Don't you ever turn it off

LBSUNFLWR

Angelo

I wasn't referring to just GD albums. Just albums in general. Or maybe just new albums?

Jaimoe

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 30, 2015, 10:00 AM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jun 30, 2015, 09:45 AM

Workingman's Dead. You should work that into a rotation of albums. I can't seem to find live recordings that match some of the vocal harmonies on that album.

And American Beauty. The Dead have a number of good studio albums. Phish does too, although I've soured on them and the post-Dead jam scene for the most part.

adam_pliskow

Chris Robinson Brotherhood is simply amazing.