Main Menu

Jonathan Wilson

Started by oistheone, Feb 05, 2014, 05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

Maybe it's the frigid weather making me long for warm, comforting sounds -- but I just cannot stop listening to Jonathan Wilson right now. The man is one of the most gifted producers out there right now, pumping out album after sonically gorgeous album for the likes of Father John Misty, Dawes and Conor Oberst. He's also a hell of a guitar player, frequently jamming with the best musicians in California. Who else can say they have Chris Robinson, Mike Campbell and Crosby and Nash on speed dial?!

But only now did I realize how lethal of a songwriting talent he is. His latest album Fanfare finally sunk in with me, and man, this album is a total stunner. Toss on some headphones and prepare to be lost in a delicious stew of soaring solos, beautiful harmonies and some of the smoothest psychedelic sounds to come outta my turntable in years.

Am I the only one blown away by this insane talent?!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykpf0-mItms

Fully

I've listened to this album quite a bit. I absolutely love it. It's beautiful, psychedelic, folky and rocks. How can one album be all of that? I don't know, but it is. It's one of my favorite musical discoveries.

Angelo

I've passively tried to listen to this album a few times and have liked what I heard but I think  I need to give it more attention.

I absolutely love what he did with the Deep Dark Woods' most recent release, one of my top 5 albums of last year and one of my favorites in their ever-growing catalog! [size=78%]That alone should demand I give this a fair shot.[/size]

oistheone

I was JUST about to add Deep Dark Woods to the list of acts that his production has taken to unreal levels. Jubilee is flat-out phenomenal. It's actually unreal in certain places how much they sound like you know who...

Jonathan Wilson is simply the master of vibe.

oistheone

Quote from: Fully on Feb 05, 2014, 06:23 PM
I've listened to this album quite a bit. I absolutely love it. It's beautiful, psychedelic, folky and rocks. How can one album be all of that? I don't know, but it is. It's one of my favorite musical discoveries.

Very well put, Fully! I love how any given JW song can start with a beautiful two-minute acoustic section before kicking into a rockin' rave-up, then become a psychedelic jam, and then right back to an acoustic coda. All with soaring harmonies, pristine sound quality and some of the best musicianship and tones I've ever heard on record.

Some of the long song lengths and "at their own pace" arrangements were a little intimidating at first, but now I'm lovin' it. Just took a little time. What JW albums lack in immediate accessibility, they make up for in supreme staying power. Feel like I'm discovering new parts every time I listen, yet it all lingers and stays with me.

And HOW ABOUT THAT?! Him and his crack band are in town next week! At my favorite bar?! And I have the day after the show off work!?! Get out the fruit preserves because it's time to JAM, baby!!

Fully

He'll be in Nashville later this month, O. I'll be there.

bigloop

He and I will be in Brighton, Mass tomorrow night.  Anyone else?

oistheone

Well, holy shit, everyone do yourself a favor and DON'T MISS THIS TOUR!

I expected musical virtuosity but I didn't expect my sky high expectations to be completely surpassed in every possible way. Jonathan Wilson and his extremely talented band laid down three hours of non-stop grooves last night at the Horseshoe, and I'm talkin' DEEP. GROOVES. These grooves were so deep, I'm still climbing out of them this morning.

I'm not used to being so blown away by sheer musical talent, I almost can't describe it. The sound was perfect, the band was cookin', the place was tiny -- and the setlist was endless! I was in heaven! These guys are going to make a LOT of new fans on the festival circuit this summer. These guys JAM with a capital J.

Here are a few videos to showcase how tasty and flavorful their jams were flowin' last night:

Jonathan Wilson - The Way I Feel - Live at the Horseshoe Tavern

Jonathan Wilson - Trials of Jonathan - Live at the Horseshoe Tavern

Angelo

Man, these videos are awesome! It's probably a long shot but I'm considering doing the Philly show this Saturday. Thanks for sharing, O!

Fully

GO ANGELO GO!!! I'm looking even more forward to this show now. Thanks for posting these videos, O!👍

Angelo

Fully I really want to! I have no one to go with is the problem. 2 hour+ drive one way, alone, sucks. I'm not ruling it out just yet though. Fancy a spur of the moment trip to PA?

Fully

I'm going solo to the Nashville show. If you and the Mrs want to zip down to Nashville for a real honeymoon, y'all can go with me.

Angelo

If only your offer had been on the table before OBH.

Fully

Angelo

This ain't happening today  :cry:
After the foot+ of snow we already got in NEPA, it's snowing again. I'm so sick of this goddamned snow! During our last storm two days ago there was a 100(!) car pileup on my route into Philly. Let us know how the show was when you get to see him, Fully.

oistheone

Damn, that's too bad Angelo! You can take some solace in the fact that he'll likely be all over the summer festival circuit, you'll get another chance to catch him for sure!

And hey, if it's cold, why not get comfortable inside and toss on some headphones for a more personal JW experience? I must confess that that's pretty much all I've done for about three weeks now.

oistheone

Did you check out that JW Grimey's in-store, Fully?

Either way, enjoy the show tomorrow! It's my birthday, so may my funky birthday vibes travel to Tennessee and possess you with the power of groove! Have a blast and report back for sure.

Fully

I didn't get to go, but the pictures looked awesome. I just found out Thirsday that I have to work at a basketball tournament Saturday night, but I should still be able to make it to the show. I'm looking forward to it. I hope you have an excellent birthday O!  I'll send Jonathan Wilson grooves up to you in Canada.

Fully

I also didn't make the show last night. The game i had to work was packed and I didn't finish counting the cash drawer until close to 11. I'm really irritated about it. The athletic director didn't tell me I had to work this game until two days previous, and when I got there I found out that someone else had backed out because he had plans.

oistheone

Theory/wish: Jonathan Wilson produces the next MMJ album.

Bo and Jonathan Wilson currently play in a band together. Jim has also immersed himself in the "new/old" LA culture that Wilson helped curate about a decade ago. He's jammed with Jonathan, and he and Tom appear to be buddies with Jonathan's guitarist Omar Velasco. Jim's also recently teamed up with other Wilson cronies and California stalwarts like the Dead crew, Joe Russo, and of course, his fellow Monster Of Folk and Wilson collaborator, Conor Oberst.

Would also explain the delay in recording the next album, as JW is one busy mofo. I would happily take the wait if this dream partnership ever materialized. I've got my fingers crossed.