Main Menu

Jonathan Wilson

Started by oistheone, Feb 05, 2014, 05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

so glad this popped up in this forum. My wife and I watched the Lady Gaga doc on Netflix (pretty dang good) and I heard this amazing lil guitar melody in it, Shazam'd it and it was Desert Raven. I'd heard of Jonathan Wilson but never got around to putting any in my ears.

Would Gentle Spirit be a good place to start?
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

also looking at his wiki, he does have some production chops
Don't you ever turn it off

oistheone

Gentle Spirit is a great place to start, and then I would quickly progress to Fanfare, which is fucking amazing. I don't know if anyone else combines vibes, chops and pristine production better than JW. He's also got a new album coming out shortly. His two EPs, Slide By and Pity Trials And Tomorrow's Child are essential too! The cover of "Angel" grooves for days. All his vinyl pressings are of marvellous quality.

In fact I don't think I can find one less than stellar thing to say about any of his releases since Gentle Spirit.

Come Closer

New single. Album out 3/2. Just in time for OBH.

sillyboob

Quote from: Osistheones on Dec 05, 2017, 09:23 AM
New single. Album out 3/2. Just in time for OBH.

What's the connection to OBH?
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Come Closer

I guess the cat's out of the bag. He's sitting in.

jk. 3/2 is when OBH starts. Album can be listened to at OBH.

sillyboob

Quote from: Osistheones on Dec 05, 2017, 11:59 AM
I guess the cat's out of the bag. He's sitting in.

jk. 3/2 is when OBH starts. Album can be listened to at OBH.

Gotcha
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lucius

I've spent the last few months getting into Jonathan after seeing Dawes recommended Rare Birds and I'm absolutely in love with the guy! Just bought a ticket to see him in London at Shepard's Bush Empire, flying solo as I don't think any of my friends would appreciate his music. On the off chance anyone else is thinking of heading down I'd love some company haha, will be the first time I've been to the bush since MMJ in 2015!
it wouldn't be a party without you

Lucius

Currently trying to get into his new record "Eat The Worm" but struggling a little. I can't tell yet if the first few tracks are simply bad or just too clever and out there for me :grin: every time I think it's settling into a nice groove it jackknifes into a different universe. I must admit to skipping his last record too but still think the first three are solid.

Would love to see him live again though as he did put on a great show in 2019!

EDIT: Just hit the song "Charlie Parker". That's more like it! Definitely recommend that jam! Ridin' in a Jag also seems nice but I definitely need to come back to this album when I'm in a better mood.
it wouldn't be a party without you