Thoughts on cameras at shows

Started by LB, May 22, 2014, 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LB

Hello all,

As a relatively young concert goer, I am interested in hearing what you all think about individuals with cameras at concerts. I don't want this to be a heated thread, just your honest opinions. Is it appropriate for someone to try and take photos/videos to remember the concert? But only if it's not blocking someone's view? I mean, once I got scolded for being tall, so I can't imagine what else bothers people lol
no you never gotta fight with me

LB

LB

I like the article in that post...thankfully I've been partially guilty of only one of them

oistheone

I bring my camera to almost every show I go to and I'd like to think I've never bothered anyone. I try to post up against a wall or pillar so I can take shots without blocking anyone's view. When that's not possible, I'll just shoot at eye level, and only a couple shots a show. Someone would have to be a real asshole to hassle someone for taking three or four shots during a show; more of an asshole than the person taking the pictures for sure.

But if you have your camera above your head and are snapping the entire show, then yes, you're an asshole.

At a Jim show last year (or whenever that tour was, feels like forever ago), I had staked out a great spot and then right before the show started, some pro photographer pushed his way right in front of me. He then plopped down a stool and stood on it to get a good two feet above everyone in the crowd for better shots. Homie don't play dat.

LB

I agree. Essentially, moderation is the answer.

parkervb

i might snap a couple of pics with the camera phone but in this day and age, there will be better pics and video on Twitter and Youtube before I wake up the next day.

oistheone put it best - But if you have your camera above your head and are snapping the entire show, then yes, you're an asshole.
Don't you ever turn it off

rincon2

I try not to do too much recording, maybe 3 songs a show, out of the 23 or so. At OBH I made the mistake of recording Dondonte. After several beers, and holding the camera at eye level for 20 minutes, there was a few times my camera brushed up against the head of the woman in front of me. I felt like a jerk. On the other hand, my video of the song OBH was worth it all.

iLikeBeer

Personally, I don't do it.  The only time I took my camera was for a MMJ show in Detroit where I was on the rail.  I pretty much sat my camera on the stage and never obstructed anyone behind me. 

I have nothing against those that don't obstruct with their picture taking.  Just don't block my view with your damn iPhone recording the whole show...

BigHerm

I dont like it but I appreciate the guys who upload to youtube.

Gina

I only use cameras with a view finder - call me old fashioned, but honestly, one has better control in keeping the camera steady with a view finder.  That being said, it means my camera is not up in the air in front of other people, but in my face up against my own eye socket.  Depending on the show and how many times I have seen the band, I may not take any photos (or very few, possibly with my phone).  I did this on the first night of MMJ at OBH, simply because it was my first time seeing them, and I wanted to fully take it all in. ;-)

Then there are concerts where I've shot over 300 pics. 

NEVER use flash, folks....it's annoying as hell and doesn't reach more than 15 feet, so all you get are the lit up heads of everyone in front of you. 

The only time my camera is blocking any view of the stage is when I can't really get a clear view of the stage.  I turn on the articulating screen and hold the camera up.  When this happens, it's usually because someone taller than 5'8" is right in front of me. This actually happens frequently....hence my desire to hit the rail if at all possible, then we are back to senario #1 with the view finder.

Dillsnufus

I do it at almost every show I go to. And when I do videos I make sure that I share that shit.
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

Murph

Quote from: Dillsnufus on Jun 05, 2014, 01:32 PM
I do it at almost every show I go to. And when I do videos I make sure that I share that shit.

And I am very thankful for those videos every time.

SaraBananaBear

The setup I've been working on for OBH2:

:thumbsup:
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

subinai

Quote from: Murph on Jun 05, 2014, 02:14 PM
Quote from: Dillsnufus on Jun 05, 2014, 01:32 PM

And I am very thankful for those videos every time.

yes

MMJ612

Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jul 19, 2014, 05:06 AM

This is HILARIOUS! I love it.   :thumbsup:

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: MMJ612 on Jul 20, 2014, 06:38 PM
Quote from: SaraBananaBear on Jul 19, 2014, 05:06 AM

This is HILARIOUS! I love it.   :thumbsup:

In truth I don't take a lot of photos, partly because I'm not very good at taking photos, but mainly because I enjoy dancing around too much. I don't mind people taking photos every now and then, but when someone next to me (close by) is recording a video I feel self-conscious of my movements (don't want to block their view) and it's not as fun.
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket