PonoMusic - My Morning Jacket Artist Edition

Started by wonderfulman, Mar 12, 2014, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Quote from: GO4IT on Dec 08, 2014, 09:39 PM
Got the following e-mail message today about my MMJ-edition Pono player:

"We've got some great news for you today! Your PonoPlayer has shipped and should be arriving shortly."

Woo hoo!! :thumbsup: :cheesy:

Same here, GO4IT! I have UPS My Choice, and it went from an estimated delivery of Dec. 15th to Dec. 10th. It should be here in less than 48 hours! I hope all goes well with the shipments. It would not be cool if a couple of the 96 or 97 Players pledged for had some sort of issue in delivery or were damaged/defective. So far, I've read on the Pono Community that a few people have already received their MMJ LE Players. Steve Carman is testing his out for the first time right now and said Circuital is in 96 kHz/24 Bit vs. the promised 48/24. Hopefully, Okonokos will be that high in kHz as well.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

jmoney

Received my player today!  I got #89 out of 94.  Looks very nice!  Giving it a charge now.

I took a few pics, but I can't figure out how to post them here from my iPad.

GO4IT

Mr. White

Thanks for the wonderful photos, GO4IT. I got my Player today too! I'm #16 of 94. Okonokos is sounding pretty killer right now!

APR

For you audophiles and vinyl fans with the good sound systems (that's you Mr. GO4IT), how does it sound?  Are you using headphones?  The photos look cool.

GO4IT

Quote from: APR on Dec 11, 2014, 02:20 PM
For you audophiles and vinyl fans with the good sound systems (that's you Mr. GO4IT), how does it sound?  Are you using headphones?  The photos look cool.
I've only used earbuds so far since I don't have high-end headphones.

By Sat I should have the cable I need to hook it to my stereo and I will do a comparison vs vinyl for Circuital and Okonokos Sat night.  That's a tough test given how great my vinyl pressing of these two albums are.  You are welcome to join me for the test and some libations. :beer:

APR

Quote from: GO4IT on Dec 11, 2014, 10:07 PM

By Sat I should have the cable I need to hook it to my stereo and I will do a comparison vs vinyl for Circuital and Okonokos Sat night.  That's a tough test given how great my vinyl pressing of these two albums are.  You are welcome to join me for the test and some libations. :beer:

Great idea....that is a test I wouldn't mind taking!   I got high-end headphones about three years ago and don't know what took me so long to get them.  Good potential Christmas gift from Mrs. GO4IT.

GO4IT

Quote from: APR on Dec 12, 2014, 09:57 AM
Quote from: GO4IT on Dec 11, 2014, 10:07 PM

Great idea....that is a test I wouldn't mind taking!   I got high-end headphones about three years ago and don't know what took me so long to get them.  Good potential Christmas gift from Mrs. GO4IT.
Well bring your headphones over tomorrow night and we'll have a three-way comparison!

buymycar

I really wish I could hear 24-bit Okonokos. I hope Pono adds it to their store soon. Those who have had it for a few weeks now, how is it?

Mr. White

Quote from: buymycar on Dec 27, 2014, 01:35 PM
I really wish I could hear 24-bit Okonokos. I hope Pono adds it to their store soon. Those who have had it for a few weeks now, how is it?

Yeah buymycar, I keep checking the Pono Store for more High-Resolution releases, but there are absolutely zero albums available on there right now from MMJ. (It is still in the Beta form and only available to those who pledged for a Player or donated some money to the original Kickstarter campaign, but it is really taking a long time.)

I have always been very impressed with the mix and production of Okonokos. I have never gotten the opportunity to listen to it on vinyl, but I can say the higher-resolution version does sound fantastic. The even higher-resolution of Circuital sounds really good too. I don't listen to the original album all that much (I much prefer the live versions of the Circuital songs), but I almost thought they had gone and re-mastered it for the Pono Store. However, I think it is really my new ears via my Pono Player paired with my Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear headphones making that jump. I hope GO4IT gets back to us with a report after his Okonokos vinyl vs. High-Resolution test he was going to conduct with the help of APR.

buymycar

Thanks for your thoughts, Mr. White. I can't believe there are only 94 of these MMJ Pono Players in existence! Makes me wish I had ponied up for one. I did ask for and receive the new Sony NWZ-A17 Hi-Rez digital audio player for Christmas (retails for $300), and it sounds amazing (with the few Hi-Rez files I have). I really wish I could put some Hi-Rez MMJ on there, though! I wonder how the sound of the Sony compares to the Pono sound.

GO4IT

Quote from: Mr. White on Dec 27, 2014, 10:09 PM
Quote from: buymycar on Dec 27, 2014, 01:35 PM

Yeah buymycar, I keep checking the Pono Store for more High-Resolution releases, but there are absolutely zero albums available on there right now from MMJ. (It is still in the Beta form and only available to those who pledged for a Player or donated some money to the original Kickstarter campaign, but it is really taking a long time.)

I have always been very impressed with the mix and production of Okonokos. I have never gotten the opportunity to listen to it on vinyl, but I can say the higher-resolution version does sound fantastic. The even higher-resolution of Circuital sounds really good too. I don't listen to the original album all that much (I much prefer the live versions of the Circuital songs), but I almost thought they had gone and re-mastered it for the Pono Store. However, I think it is really my new ears via my Pono Player paired with my Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear headphones making that jump. I hope GO4IT gets back to us with a report after his Okonokos vinyl vs. High-Resolution test he was going to conduct with the help of APR.

Hey, sorry for the delay in my review of Pono vs vinyl.  I have been diligently working on it, including the first weekend I mentioned when I had a couple of old friends over to help me with the review and I want to get it right.  Given that it was my absolute first time playing tracks with the Pono, there was some operator error, including plugging the lead into the headphone jack instead of the line out jack which made a big difference in a not so good way. Not sure why that is.  Hold the jokes about not being able to get it in the right hole :embarrassed:

Based on listens so far after these first hiccups, I feel I need to go to side-by-side comparisons, that is switching back and forth between vinyl and Pono during the songs to really discriminate.  That should tell you something.

Family, work, and holidaze have slowed my evaluation but I will post it by the end of the long New Years weekend when guests have moved on and I can do some tests at the proper volume without waking them up :cool:

Stay tuned and I hope everyone is enjoying their holidays :beer:

buymycar

For those that have the MMJ LE Pono, does the Hi-Rez version of Circuital come with the different colored "eye" artwork for each song? I'm just curious because I had forgotten that we received a lossless copy (16/44.1 in ALAC) from the Circuital download if we preordered the album from the website. I always thought it was cool that each song had a different color for its artwork.

Mr. White

Quote from: buymycar on Jan 05, 2015, 12:19 AM
For those that have the MMJ LE Pono, does the Hi-Rez version of Circuital come with the different colored "eye" artwork for each song? I'm just curious because I had forgotten that we received a lossless copy (16/44.1 in ALAC) from the Circuital download if we preordered the album from the website. I always thought it was cool that each song had a different color for its artwork.
No. They,re all green.

buymycar

Quote from: Mr. White on Feb 03, 2015, 11:00 PM
Quote from: buymycar on Jan 05, 2015, 12:19 AM
No. They,re all green.

Thanks. It wouldn't be too hard to change the artwork, I suppose, so no big deal.

Still waiting on MMJ's additions to the Pono store. The split EP with Songs:Ohia is up there, but only in CD quality.

buymycar

Circuital is now in the Pono store, but only in 44.1kHz/16 bit? What is going on here?

Mr. White

Quote from: buymycar on Feb 05, 2015, 07:42 AM
Circuital is now in the Pono store, but only in 44.1kHz/16 bit? What is going on here?

Doesn't make any sense, does it? There's been several albums from other artists that also started out as 44/16 and later got upgraded, but many have not...so far. I think Pono is having issues dealing with the big record companies. It's got to be money. They started out at really inflated prices and later some came down in price a bit. Many people are sort of waiting for the pricing and the resolution issues to play out/settle out and become somewhat stablized. Others are buying and hoping for upgrades later (Kickstarter Pledgers with the LE Players are supposed to be guaranteed free upgrades if and when a higher resolution version becomes available). I'm pretty ill that they haven't gotten ALL of My Morning Jacket's albums in the Store by now. I hope it gets straightened out soon.

Derek713

I saw the standard yellow Pono in a Fry's ad today for $399.00 with a free $50 gift card with purchase for anyone wanting one.