Main Menu

Sturgill Simpson

Started by BigHerm, May 07, 2014, 09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

subinai

parkervb

he was also on Joe Rogan's pod.  Great convo...long, 3 hours.  He said he's only doing 5 albums and he's got them mapped out
Don't you ever turn it off

subinai

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 29, 2014, 11:17 AM
he was also on Joe Rogan's pod.  Great convo...long, 3 hours.  He said he's only doing 5 albums and he's got them mapped out

that was a great podcast. it was my first time listening the series. really enjoyed the DMT talk.

gluvmiller

Saw Sturgill at the Bluebird in Denver last night and WOW, he is good! The man has soul. I couldn't recommend him more. The time to see him is now. The Bluebird ended up adding last night after the first night sold out and last night sold out as well. Tickets were $15 at the box office and then were $135 on stubhub. If you don't have his albums, get them now. I like both equally.

parkervb

Quote from: gluvmiller on Dec 01, 2014, 09:47 AM
Saw Sturgill at the Bluebird in Denver last night and WOW, he is good! The man has soul. I couldn't recommend him more. The time to see him is now. The Bluebird ended up adding last night after the first night sold out and last night sold out as well. Tickets were $15 at the box office and then were $135 on stubhub. If you don't have his albums, get them now. I like both equally.

Sturgill is our house's Artist of the Year for sure.  We're seeing him in a small club next February.  Pro Tip if you have a special lady in your life: at home, put on The Promise from Metamodern and slow dance. 

JerseyDan

Shug

yeah, the hype right now for Sturgill is huge.  All these small venues are selling out and lots of forum folk across the country have been shutout, including me here in Phoenix last month.  those of you seeing him in the clubs are scoring, that is for sure.

FYI, there is already a thread on Sturgill going here.  http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,18416.msg349197.html#msg349197
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Shug

bumping the first thread.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

gluvmiller

Quote from: parkervb on Dec 01, 2014, 10:10 AM

Sturgill is our house's Artist of the Year for sure.  We're seeing him in a small club next February.  Pro Tip if you have a special lady in your life: at home, put on The Promise from Metamodern and slow dance.

:thumbsup:

gluvmiller

Quote from: Shug on Dec 01, 2014, 10:36 AM
yeah, the hype right now for Sturgill is huge.  All these small venues are selling out and lots of forum folk across the country have been shutout, including me here in Phoenix last month.  those of you seeing him in the clubs are scoring, that is for sure.

FYI, there is already a thread on Sturgill going here.  http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,18416.msg349197.html#msg349197

Thanks. I scrolled a little, but not that far before making my post. And yeah, felt VERY lucky to have gotten to see him in such a small venue.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

e_wind

Quote from: parkervb on Dec 01, 2014, 10:10 AM

That cover is what made me love SS.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Willard1979

Listening to samples on iTunes right now.  All I can say is...WOW!  I HATE country music, but this is just good stuff!  I think my roommate, who lives for country music, will also enjoy this.  :thumbsup:

gluvmiller

Quote from: Willard1979 on Dec 01, 2014, 05:13 PM
Listening to samples on iTunes right now.  All I can say is...WOW!  I HATE country music, but this is just good stuff!  I think my roommate, who lives for country music, will also enjoy this.  :thumbsup:

It's what country music is supposed to be. I read somewhere that Waylon Jennig's son (I think it was Shooter) said Sturgill is the closest thing he's ever heard to his dad. True outlaw country!

Dillsnufus

If any one has an extra tix to the Boston show let me know. Bummed its sold out
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

bigloop

If anyone has a second extra for the Boston show, I'd be grateful.  Thanks.

woodnymph

Very very excited to be seeing him in February in Philly!   :cheesy:  I have ALady to thank for discovering him. Her post on facebook a few months back mentioned the "cosmic american" theme, and I had to click + have been hooked ever since.  Wish I had a ticket for the Asheville show, but it would be tricky to make it to both at this point!  Can't wait!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ericm

Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 25, 2015, 12:36 AM
Very very excited to be seeing him in February in Philly!   :cheesy:  I have ALady to thank for discovering him. Her post on facebook a few months back mentioned the "cosmic american" theme, and I had to click + have been hooked ever since.  Wish I had a ticket for the Asheville show, but it would be tricky to make it to both at this point!  Can't wait!

WOODY!!!  :thumbsup:

Sorry for going off topic but will you be in Chicago for the July 3rd-5th shows?   :smiley:
"Where's Jim going?"

woodnymph

Quote from: ericm on Jan 25, 2015, 12:53 AM
Quote from: woodnymph on Jan 25, 2015, 12:36 AM

WOODY!!!  :thumbsup:

Sorry for going off topic but will you be in Chicago for the July 3rd-5th shows?   :smiley:

Eriiiiic!!!!   :cheesy: :cheesy:

Sadly, I will not.   :embarrassed:  I am not a super happy camper about the choice of lead guitar   :rolleyes: :embarrassed:  A sad state of affairs, but geez I'm sorry to miss you!!!  I hope to see you sooner than later, please!!! 
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

parkervb

so incredibly bummed about the recent show cancellations. I hate that he & the band are sick, but to cancel the show and then announce the "make up" show is at a venue that is 10x the originals size is not cool IMO.  Not to mention, he's listed as the opener for OCMS at that date. 

It just seems like they took advantage of a bad situation to rebook at larger venues for more $$$.  I know a band's got a right to make a buck, doesn't mean I can't be bummed about missing them play a 350 seat venue.