Good places to eat locally

Started by LB, Jun 10, 2014, 11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LB

I'm a man that enjoys my food. That being said, when I venture to other cities I'm not familiar with, I don't always get to experience the real "dives" with delicious food. Since there's not much activity, I thought I'd start this thread so that you may share some great eateries you know of. That way, when I catch an MMJ show in said random area, I'll know where to go.  :thumbsup:

for Birmingham, AL:

Saw's BBQ
El Barrio (great hip mexican food place)
Surin West (Thai)
Flip Burger (My favorite "gourmet" burger joint)  :happy:
Pita Stop (very good Middle-Eastern)

Wanna catch a drink?  :beer: Try:

The J. Clyde (JJ stopped here before his B'ham show in '13)
Good People Brewing Company
Avondale Brewing Company
41st street (that's the name)
The Collins Bar (no actual liquor menu, the bartender makes you something based off of what you already like)

Anyway, hope this catches on
no you never gotta fight with me

MarkW

Nice idea, LB.  I'll give it some thought.  I spend quite a lot of time out and about in Malaga, London and Liverpool.  Sure I can come up with a definitive G&T guide to Europe!
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Jaimoe

I have favourite local Toronto neighbourhood haunts. I'll think about it and write something up soon.

ericm

The way this thread title reads on the main page, my initial thought was a a Grateful Dead show.  :wink:
"Where's Jim going?"

ffghtrs

West End Pub and Grill in Tacoma, Wa

as well as 1111 (eleven eleven) and the Top of Tacoma.  dying for some food right now.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

LB

thought i'd give this thread some life for the new tour.

any NOLA or ATLANTA natives out there that can give me the lowdown on delicious places to eat??

Sassbox

Quote from: LB on Mar 10, 2015, 12:03 PM

any NOLA or ATLANTA natives out there that can give me the lowdown on delicious places to eat??
NOLA...give me some idea of what you'd like and I can make some recs!
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

LB

SASSBOX
any good dessert places???? preferably ice cream....have you heard of creole creamery?
best po-boy in town
something that screams new orleans
really cool bar?

jeaux

Quote from: Sassbox on Mar 10, 2015, 12:26 PM

Truth! You eat WAY better here than I do.

Creole Creamery is where it's at for ice cream. Sucre is fine, but stuff is generally prettier than it tastes. Angelo Brocato's in Mid City is also a classic.

But here goes...
By Neighborhood:

Close to show:
Luke (happy hour oysters) very close
Dominica (happy hour pizza always packed then)
Johnny Sanchez (bougie mexican, but good) very very close
Cellar Door (shhhhh)
Balise (re:sassbox, just opened where Ditcharos was. good stuff)

Warehouse District:
Peche (very hyped and very deserved. get the crudo, no get two! no really, eat here.)
Couchon Butcher (sandwiches)

Mid City:
Parkway Bakery (poboys and roast beef cheese fries, closed on tuesdays. I ate a whole fried shrimp last night. I should quit that.)
Chickie Wah Wah (good music nightly and bbq. very good smoked wings. brisket eggrolls too)
Toups Meatery
Katies
Ruby Slipper (I prefer a liquid breakfast, but folks seem to like this place. There are several in town.)
Finn Mcchools (pub of the Irish variety, a good one at that)
Banks Street Bar (Finn's in on Banks too. Dive. Real nice guy just started cooking seafood in the kitchen. Jambalaya cheese fries? Yes please. He's boiling too, unsure about what if anything then though)

LGD:
Avenue Pub (one of the best beer bars in the south)

Uptown:
Stein's Deli (sandwiches and beer)
Atchafalaya (good brunch spot, bloody mary bar)
Coquette (i think the most underrated in town)
Casamentos (but it closes for the summer so you can't)
Shaya (Israeli, new, good)
Snake and Jakes (if you're here it's either really late or really early and everything and everyone is really weird)
Maple Leaf (music. institution)

FQ:
Coops (post show eats, or anytime I suppose)
Sylvain (good cocktails and food)
The Corner Pocket (jk, lol, but maybe not. i can't recommend anything on the menu though)
Yo Mommas (late night burgers. I think they have the best gumbo in town. Tequila.)
Lafittes Blacksmith Shop (I start every day out with a purple drank)
Carousel Bar at the Monteleone (It rotates, but not fast enough to make you dizzy.)

Hipsters, Hipsters everywhere:
Red's Chinese (different, good)
Bacchanal (never mind, too hot. but awesome on mondays for helen gilet)
The Country Club (you can go swimming here, but now you have to wear clothes.)

Frenchman Street: Only if you have a Delorian

Sassbox

Quote from: jeaux on Mar 10, 2015, 04:44 PM
Quote from: Sassbox on Mar 10, 2015, 12:26 PM

Truth! You eat WAY better here than I do.

Creole Creamery is where it's at for ice cream. Sucre is fine, but stuff is generally prettier than it tastes. Angelo Brocato's in Mid City is also a classic.

But here goes...
By Neighborhood:

Close to show:
Luke (happy hour oysters) very close
Dominica (happy hour pizza always packed then)
Johnny Sanchez (bougie mexican, but good) very very close
Cellar Door (shhhhh)
Balise (re:sassbox, just opened where Ditcharos was. good stuff)

Warehouse District:
Peche (very hyped and very deserved. get the crudo, no get two! no really, eat here.)
Couchon Butcher (sandwiches)

Mid City:
Parkway Bakery (poboys and roast beef cheese fries, closed on tuesdays. I ate a whole fried shrimp last night. I should quit that.)
Toups Meatery
Katies
Ruby Slipper (I prefer a liquid breakfast, but folks seem to like this place. There are several in town.)
Finn Mcchools (pub of the Irish variety, a good one at that)
Banks Street Bar (Finn's in on Banks too. Dive. Real nice guy just started cooking seafood in the kitchen. Jambalaya cheese fries? Yes please. He's boiling too, unsure about what if anything then though)
Lolas (paella and garlic shrimp and garlic in general. kissing is not on the list after a visit here. but it's good.)

LGD:
Avenue Pub (one of the best beer bars in the south)

Uptown:
Stein's Deli (sandwiches and beer)
Atchafalaya (good brunch spot, bloody mary bar)
Coquette (i think the most underrated in town)
Casamentos (but it closes for the summer so you can't)
Shaya (Israeli, new, good)
Snake and Jakes (if you're here it's either really late or really early and everything and everyone is really weird)

FQ:
Coops (post show eats, or anytime I suppose)
Sylvain (good cocktails and food)
The Corner Pocket (jk, lol, but maybe not. i can't recommend anything on the menu though)
Yo Mommas (late night burgers. I think they have the best gumbo in town. Tequila.)
Lafittes Blacksmith Shop (I start every day out with a purple drank)
Carousel Bar at the Monteleone (It rotates, but not fast enough to make you dizzy.)

Hipsters, Hipsters everywhere:
Red's Chinese (different, good)
Bacchanal (never mind, too hot. but awesome on mondays for helen gilet)
Uh...I have nothing to add.

Balise is Devillier's place, right? Gotta put that on the schedule for next week.

LOL at Bacchanal "too hot." You forgot termite swarms.

jeaux

Termites are just a little protein lagniappe! I don't even know if Bacchanal will be open then. So many places close up shop for a few weeks around then.

Yeah that's the place.

I forgot about Latitude 29. Have you been? Tiki bar/restaurant.

I don't know what screams New Orleans. I guess the Parkway and Coops? OH! Mandinas. You can't get much more NOLA than that.

LB

jeauxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :thumbsup:

NOICE

I will definitely indulge in plenty of these. Thanks for that badass list

LB

Also for any ATL venturers, I suggest going to Murphy's for brunch.

:cheesy: their honey cinnamon butter with those biscuits were amazing

Sassbox

Yes, gotta hit Parkway for po-boys and maybe Luke for happy hour before the show, depending on pit line or if there's a soundcheck option, for me.

I have not been to Latitude.

jeaux

I'm not sure oysters + alcohol + oppressive heat + the rail is a viable option for me between sound check and the show. I was thinking more along the lines of Cellar Door. They've got a happy hour too. But there's plenty of time to figure this out, providing we don't get eaten by alligators in the meantime. I think there's several new places set to open between now and then as well. I just hope they schedule the sound check to account for afternoon rain. It's not like there's a freeway they can stick us under.