johnnYYac surgery update

Started by johnnYYac, Sep 15, 2014, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Greetings! Many of my friends and family have reached out recently, as I was scheduled to have major open-heart surgery tomorrow, Sept. 16. Just to keep you informed, the surgery has been postponed, per the surgeon. No new date has been set. It could be days, weeks, or months. We are very unhappy with this sudden change in plans and unclear as to the reason for the delay, despite some assurances from the surgeon's office. Its a long story, but suffice it to say a lot of wonderful people who are rearranging their lives to provide support to me and my family during the post-op recovery period are being greatly inconvenienced by this and I am sorry. I will let you know when surgery is rescheduled and appreciate all the positive vibes sent my way.

For those unaware, we have been monitoring an aortic aneurysm for the past few years and it is finally large enough to warrant surgery to replace the root portion of the ascending aorta. I will also have my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve, as it is defective (bicuspid, though working fairly well). This 6-8 hour surgery will have me in ICU for a day or two, then another 3-6 days in recovery before heading home. It will be another 3-6 weeks before I'll be able to return to "normal" daily life (work, driving, etc.).

Stay tuned...
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EverythingChanges

Best of luck with rescheduling the operation. I hope the hospital can rework the operation to fall on a day soon enough, so you will be more than recovered and ready to enjoy OBH. I hope everything goes well for you and your family, and I wish you great health and a speedy recovery!
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

YimYodd

Hang in there, John. Good luck! :beer:
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

ericm

Thanks for the update John, I was thinking over the weekend of your upcoming surgery. I hope the delay is short,and the angst it's causing you, and those wonderful people helping you out, is only temporary.

Be sure to keep us informed, and know I'm keeping you,and your family in my thoughts.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

APR

The silver lining could be that you're now able to catch Pearl Jam in Moline.

But in all seriousness, good luck and I'm sure your inconvenienced family just wants what is best in regards to the timing of your surgery...... as long as it doesn't conflict with OBH.  Positive vibes headed your way for a smooth recovery.

johnnYYac

Thanks, guys.  A bit more detail has come to light.  The surgeon had eye surgery recently and received new loupes (magnifiers).  He doesn't want my surgery to be the first time he uses them, so it looks like we're going with Tues., Sept. 23rd now, a week from tomorrow.  Hopefully, he can see what he's doing...

ericm

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 15, 2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks, guys.  A bit more detail has come to light.  The surgeon had eye surgery recently and received new loupes (magnifiers).  He doesn't want my surgery to be the first time he uses them, so it looks like we're going with Tues., Sept. 23rd now, a week from tomorrow.  Hopefully, he can see what he's doing...

:grin:

Great to see you have kept your great sense of humor through this.  :cool: No doubt he's using some great common sense here, and good to know you got some answers. Hopefully that'll put you at ease a little bit, because for me it's always better knowing why than wondering why.

Good luck next week, and check in when you can.

"Where's Jim going?"

GO4IT

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 15, 2014, 06:40 PM

As Ms GO4IT and I related a couple of days ago, that surgeon better have a REALLY good reason for postponing so good to know he did and that the reschedule is not far off.  Yeah, you definitely want your surgeons eyes to be working well so it's good to know he'll have a chance to get them adjusted before he works on you :thumbsup:.

Best of luck next week.  We'll be thinking of you and waiting to hear the good news that you're all patched up and ready to hit the concert trail in 2015! :beer:

Mr. White

Good luck John. I hope everything goes well and you are back to rockin' out on the front row of shows in the coming months. Just think to yourself, "Mexico awaits!"
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

weeniebeenie

Will be thinking of you on Tuesday. As we say in Oz, she'll be right. (It means everything's going to be okay)
How loud can silence get?

davymac

I will be thinking about you as well.  I hope the surgery goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery!  :beer:

woodnymph

JohnnyY I'm sending you as many positive vibes and speedy recovery vibes as I possibly can (and that is a LOT of vibes, by the way!!!!)  I wish you and your family a smooth transition through the process.  Here's to a healthful recovery!   :bath:
Lots of love!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Crispy

Lots of healing vibes headed your way and more tomorrow, and high hopes for a quick and easy recovery!  :beer: :beer: :beer:
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

vespachick

Hang Tough Yac!  Think about all that sea air we'll be getting soon(ish).  Happy recovery!!

And never forget: #CortezinPlaya
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

johnnYYac

Surgery Update

Postponed again, at least 2 weeks. Came down with a head cold on Thursday. Doctors don't want to risk complications, even though I'm mostly over it.

<insert long string of angry profanity here>

Mom and stepdad driving back to NH until further notice. Thanks for the well-wishes. I'll bank 'em for whenever this gets done.

Sigh.

mgobugsy

BOL, my friend.  While having to give pause may be difficult, this is very much a situation where you "measure twice and cut once".   :thumbsup:

gardenparty

just seeing this thread.   Hoping all goes well Johnny!

Will stand by for any updates

johnnYYac

Heading out in about an hour for pre-op tests and xrays.  If all goes well, the surgery is tomorrow.  Thanks for all the well wishes and positive vibes!

pattilovesmmj

Good Luck John - here's to a speedy recovery and and a strong heart that "beats for you" LOL
Looking forward to seeing you in Mexico!

markcel

My thoughts are with you and a speedy recovery.