Main Menu

2015 Festivals

Started by APR, Nov 17, 2014, 04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

Quote from: Murph on Jan 07, 2015, 09:20 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Jan 07, 2015, 08:57 AM
Here's Jacket's first festie announcement.  What a lineup

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/governors_ball_confirms_the_black_keys_ryan_adams_my_morning_jacket_tame_impala_war_on_drugs

Lineup is incredible, really hoping War on Drugs plays same day as MMJ

Stellar!!  Depending on who plays when, I'm in for a day or two or three.

millerjustin

Quote from: parkervb on Dec 12, 2014, 02:03 PM
Quote from: Murph on Dec 12, 2014, 10:45 AM
Black Keys headlining Mountain Jam... kinda lame

Gov't Mule doing Dark Side of the Mule.  Not lame. So they've got that going for them which is nice.

Black keys also at govs ball, which I hope means that mmj will also do mountain jam....and maybe a BK mmj co-headlining summer tour????
What's in here won't disappear

EverythingChanges

Quote from: millerjustin on Jan 07, 2015, 08:27 PM
Quote from: parkervb on Dec 12, 2014, 02:03 PM
Quote from: Murph on Dec 12, 2014, 10:45 AM
Black Keys headlining Mountain Jam... kinda lame

Gov't Mule doing Dark Side of the Mule.  Not lame. So they've got that going for them which is nice.

Black keys also at govs ball, which I hope means that mmj will also do mountain jam....and maybe a BK mmj co-headlining summer tour????

You want a boring band like the black keys to co headline a tour with jacket? Unfortunately the Keys are much bigger than Jacket, so they would be the closers. Not to mention, that would greatly reduce the set MMJ would play. Also, the Keys would have a hard time following MMJ.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

oistheone

A Black Keys/MMJ co-headlining tour is not gonna happen this summer. However I think it's extremely likely that they end up at a lot of the same festivals.

oistheone

Roo lineup is out in five days! Unreal!

Bonnaroo Lineup Announcement Megathon | 2015 Promo

Earliest Roo lineup release of all time.

parkervb

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 08, 2015, 09:34 AM

i feel like it's a lock that Jacket will be there. 
Don't you ever turn it off

Derek713

Quote from: parkervb on Jan 08, 2015, 11:25 AM
Quote from: oistheone on Jan 08, 2015, 09:34 AM

i feel like it's a lock that Jacket will be there.

Sounds like a safe bet. I would guess that they will be back at ACL too.

oistheone

The optimist in me thinks MMJ will be on the farm, but in reality, I'm torn. I could see AC Entertainment wanting to hold out MMJ for an exclusive blowout Forecastle performance. Then again, maybe there was a change of plan and the boys will play Forecastle next year and Roo this year. Realistically, they're gonna be touring next year and very rarely do festival performers play the same fest back-to-back years. Or who knows, maybe they'll play everywhere both this summer and next.

Another greatly insightful take brought to you by oistheone.

Derek713

ACL Fest just tweeted a pic from MMJ's 2007 set........hmmmm??????

APR

I like these early lineup releases.   It allow for more time in between a band's non festival shows announcement and when those proper shows take place.  And therefore more time for fans to decide, make travel plans, etc. MMJ probably won't have their own show in NY anytime close to early June, but they could do a few Philly or Boston or MPP shows since NYC is kind of in that neighborhood and those cities won't compete with the NYC area.

EverythingChanges

Quote from: oistheone on Jan 08, 2015, 11:41 AM
The optimist in me thinks MMJ will be on the farm, but in reality, I'm torn. I could see AC Entertainment wanting to hold out MMJ for an exclusive blowout Forecastle performance. Then again, maybe there was a change of plan and the boys will play Forecastle next year and Roo this year. Realistically, they're gonna be touring next year and very rarely do festival performers play the same fest back-to-back years. Or who knows, maybe they'll play everywhere both this summer and next.

Wasn't jacket at bonaroo and forecastle in 2012? I'll be pretty bummed if they aren't at Forecastle this year.

oistheone

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Jan 08, 2015, 02:58 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Jan 08, 2015, 11:41 AM

Wasn't jacket at bonaroo and forecastle in 2012? I'll be pretty bummed if they aren't at Forecastle this year.

No, they were at Roo in 2011 and Forecastle in 2012. Of course, Forecastle and Roo DID share Jack White last year. So who knows.

But by all reports, these Roo headliners are going to be pretty damn weak. Looks like Billy Joel, Kendrick Lamar, Mumford & Sons, Florence + The Machine, Deadmau5. No one seems to know what to expect as to MMJ, but it IS Roo so I'd expect a solid undercard.

I think reports that 2015 would be a "down" year in terms of big-name headliners may prove to be accurate. I could definitely see AC Ent putting their eggs in other baskets. Roo is already an established brand, they don't need to spend the huge bucks on talent and they'll still sell 80,000+ tickets. They've still got Big Ears, Forecastle and THREE other new festivals they're putting on, and that's just one effin' company. Haven't even talked about other major players like C3 (Lollapalooza, ACL) and Goldenvoice (Coachella, Firefly) among many others. There's a lot of festivals to book and not a lot of big name talent to go around.

In conclusion I expect MMJ to be at a shitload of these festivals, but Roo is a definite toss-up.

parkervb

man, JW3 set the bar pretty damn high last year for his 'Roo set. Going to be hard to match that power again.
Don't you ever turn it off

oistheone

Quote from: Murph on Jan 08, 2015, 04:35 PM
Just heard on the radio, Jack White is one of the headliners

For Roo? For Forecastle? Not gonna happen.

But for a handful of other festivals that he didn't headline last summer? Definitely.

Like many around here, I prefer a great undercard to headliners any day. NOTE TO BOOKERS: give me MMJ and D'Angelo and you've got my money.

EverythingChanges

So far the headliners this year seem lame. They're usually lame anyways. Jack White and Beck were awesome last year, but TBK, Outkast, Drake, Florence, Lana, Mumford, and so on are super bad headlining acts. Most of them haven't even been around long enough to justify being headliners. It's too bad they are such radio hits. None of them could comfortably follow mmj, jack white, or any other heavy hitter like that. They're real bands, not some radio fad.

dmooney99

Quote from: APR on Jan 07, 2015, 08:10 PM
Quote from: Murph on Jan 07, 2015, 09:20 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Jan 07, 2015, 08:57 AM
Here's Jacket's first festie announcement.  What a lineup

http://www.relix.com/news/detail/governors_ball_confirms_the_black_keys_ryan_adams_my_morning_jacket_tame_impala_war_on_drugs

Lineup is incredible, really hoping War on Drugs plays same day as MMJ

Stellar!!  Depending on who plays when, I'm in for a day or two or three.

Actually Governor's Ball looks better than Coachella this year, IMO

Firefly should be announcing their line-up in February.

cbalc73

Seriously though...MMJ deserves a spot as a Bonnaroo headliner. I mean these guys are Bonnaroo legends, they are what Bonnaroo is all about (or according to some folks, what Bonnaroo was all about). If anybody was lucky enough to see them in 2008, that was amazing. I could see them headlining one night and just pulling out all the stops to make it a truly wonderful experience.

EverythingChanges

Jack White could be showing up with the Dead Weather this year right?

oistheone

Mannnnnn oh man, Shakey Knees is lookin' niiiiiice!

EverythingChanges

Is built to spill going to tour? I've noticed them on Coachella's lineup too. I would love to see them play a show near me.