Bonnaroo 2015?

Started by itrainmonkeys, Jan 08, 2015, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: wonderfulman on Mar 19, 2015, 11:49 AM
Any idea when they announce the late-night acts? If they do get a late-night, I might make the move.

Rumor right now is they aren't late night. Someone talked to band members either at OBH or the airport right after and they said they weren't sure when they were playing but it likely wouldn't be late night. Something along those lines. That doesn't make it 100% but I've been running with the idea that MMJ plays main stage before Mumford and then at night we get the Superjam (which could possibly feature some New Basement Tapes stuff since Mumford, Rhiannon, and Jim are there the same day And Dawes can stick around from the day before.

It's disappointing they won't have another marathon set for Late Night. Maybe next year following the next album release we get a killer Late Night Which set like 2008. For now I'm hoping for at least 2 hours main stage like before Arcade Fire a few years ago

shawncoolman

They're officially NOT playing a late-night set this year: http://www.bonnaroo.com/news/late-night-sets

Guess I won't be journeying up to The Farm after all.

dookie shoot bandit

I'm guessing super jam is something with Jim

oistheone

That D'Angelo addition has me questioning everything I thought I knew!!!

I had planned to sit this Roo out, now I don't know if that is going to be possible. All of a sudden this looks like one of the best lineups of the summer.

MMJ, D'Angelo, Gary Clark Jr., The Superjam, Bahamas -- all in one day?!? Good lord. Having said that, could definitely see D'Angelo and the Superjam conflicting.

Also, I'm betting they still haven't booked a Superjam. I remember reading that these things are often a last-minute scramble, and I get the feeling this might be one of those years.

ellisintransit

So, 7:00-8:30 on What, pre-headliner before Mumford and Sons, much like the pre-Arcade Fire spot from 2011.  To look at the schedule and see Mumford and Sons playing right after, unopposed and with 30 more minutes...does not sit well with me.  That's not a judgement on Mumford's music (I'm ambivalent towards them) but I fear a rehash of the 2011 show with Waterfall tracks replacing Circuital ones.  The MMJ-Belle and Sebastian-Atomic Bomb conflict is my worst in years at Roo.

Of course, when I'm in the pit and the beauty begins those quibbles will be long since past.   :thumbsup:

PS- Major score with the Superjam and D'Angelo barely overlapping.

bhyman

Quote from: ellisintransit on Apr 22, 2015, 02:43 PM
So, 7:00-8:30 on What, pre-headliner before Mumford and Sons, much like the pre-Arcade Fire spot from 2011. 
Except MMJ had a 2 hour set in 2011. Not sure what's happening with the schedule at Bonnaroo this year. Fewer bands and shorter sets. That 30 minutes makes a big difference in a MMJ set.

ellisintransit

Holy crap you're right.  :angry:  This whole schedule is depressing as hell to me.  This is to be my 11th Bonnaroo, and I can't remember ever being disappointed with the schedule drop.  There have always been and always will be conflicts, and those are generally easy solves when in the moment, but there's a fair amount of weirdness on this thing I just can't get over right now.  Typically schedule-drop day is a celebration of daydreaming and scheming but today I'm like "whut?"

All of this will be forgotten in June when I'm there having a blast, I know.  But man.

itrainmonkeys

The scheduling this year is bonkers.

They always have a few questionable decisions. But this year seems insane.

More long gaps between sets, later start times, shorter sets. I don't get it.

MMJ went from 2 hours on the main stage in 2011 to 1.5 hours on the main stage in 2015. How does that happen?

That's the most disappointing part. The 2011 show felt too short. The 2015 show will be like 10 songs.

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: ellisintransit on Apr 22, 2015, 03:45 PM
Holy crap you're right.  :angry:  This whole schedule is depressing as hell to me.  This is to be my 11th Bonnaroo, and I can't remember ever being disappointed with the schedule drop. 

Same here. I've been going since 2005 (only missed 2010) and I never feel this way about the schedule. So many things are just confusing or frustrating. I don't even have a ton of conflicts....everything about the schedule just seems weird.

Mahgeetah34

Not only is the lineup crap this year, but the scheduling sucks too. How do you give MMJ only 90 minutes when they have such a deep history with the festival? I'd prefer that they not even play and just wait to put them on the lineup when they can get the proper Sunday closer set or late night again.

Stevie

Damn....  I was just starting to get excited for this and thought i might pull the trigger but 1.5 hours? 

When you take into account about 6 Waterfall tracks that leaves you with room for about two lesser played songs and one will be a New Basement Tapes selection.  Was reallyhoping for something unique to happen there but i just dont think its mathematically possible now.  May just skip it.

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: Mahgeetah34 on Apr 22, 2015, 05:22 PM
Not only is the lineup crap this year, but the scheduling sucks too. How do you give MMJ only 90 minutes when they have such a deep history with the festival? I'd prefer that they not even play and just wait to put them on the lineup when they can get the proper Sunday closer set or late night again.

Not that it makes it any better but some are thinking Jim may once again be involved with the Superjam. So if that's the case I could see them going light on MMJ if he's going to play a late night Superjam. But I'm not banking on that.

1.5 for MMJ feels like an insult. Like....I'm sure they don't mind but when I think back to MMJ/Bonnaroo I think about epic long sets that destroy people's minds. With 1.5 I feel like they'll just get into a groove and have to wrap it up.

Stevie

Im really trying hard not to be negative about this but i cant help but wonder what in the world they were thinking.  Americanarama set times were about 1:15, so thats sort of a reference.

Either Jim is heavily involved in the super jam or they are really trying to rest up after chicago.

itrainmonkeys

Was really hoping for a late night 3 hour set. Maybe next year after the next album comes out?

Stevie

With the Waterfall being as good as it is, if they put out another one that's also pretty darn good before next summer i'll be baffled if they don't get an outright headlining slot. 

At that point, what else do you they gotta do? 

Fully

The entire schedule is like this. Why did they shorten set times so much... My guess is money. It isn't like the festival industry isn't getting lackluster enough without this bullshit. This may be my last Bonnaroo. I've never had a year where I've had fewer conflicts than this year. I'm considering selling my ticket.

Mahgeetah34

Quote from: itrainmonkeys on Apr 22, 2015, 07:44 PM
1.5 for MMJ feels like an insult. Like....I'm sure they don't mind but when I think back to MMJ/Bonnaroo I think about epic long sets that destroy people's minds. With 1.5 I feel like they'll just get into a groove and have to wrap it up.

AC have lost their minds this year. I like how in their reddit interview when asked about the poor headliners they say that it's due to the market of music festivals being oversaturated, but then they go and create like 5 more festivals this year on top of what they already have.

scosby2

and for these exact reasons I did not purchase a ticket to Bonnaroo...nor will I ever purchase another ticket to Bonnaroo unless MMJ plays at midnight

itrainmonkeys

Bonnaroo loves MMJ (I would think) so part of me feels like there's something up their sleeve.

Holding out hope (but not necessarily expecting) that they do a bit of collaboration between MMJ/Mumford for New Basement Tapes on What. Or that Jim and Carl are in Superjam again or MMJ does one of the traveling parade sets. I can't imagine that the ONLY music Jim and others will play is 1.5 on the What stage. There HAS to be something more.....right? RIGHT?

I'm sure they'll still kick ass. I just know they can do so much more with extra time.

oistheone

FYI MMJ's set just got extended and bumped back slightly -- they're now playing 8-10!