2015 - Favorite Albums

Started by Ob1jacobe, Jan 21, 2015, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

The Amazing - Picture You (just blown away by it)
Diamond Rugs - Cosmetics (maybe a stronger follow up to an awesome debut)
Phossy Live
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

Quote from: Murph on Mar 06, 2015, 10:41 AM
Yea you guys are both right.  That FJM really is one of the prettiest albums I've heard, maybe ever.  The guy is just an amazing songwriter

I can't stop listening to it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Santo

On first few listens, I'm really digging the new Bright Light Social Hour - Space is Still the Place.

Penny Lane

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 10, 2015, 02:15 PM
Yea you guys are both right.  That FJM really is one of the prettiest albums I've heard, maybe ever.  The guy is just an amazing songwriter

When it came out, he did a special session on The Loft and I'd love to track that down, that's the first time I heard his cover of Heart Shaped Box. Anyone hear that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2c9-vyCLLI
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Crispy

Quote from: Santo on Mar 10, 2015, 03:23 PM
On first few listens, I'm really digging the new Bright Light Social Hour - Space is Still the Place.

I just listened to this for the first time today and it's fantastic!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

BH

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 10, 2015, 03:33 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Mar 10, 2015, 02:15 PM

When it came out, he did a special session on The Loft and I'd love to track that down, that's the first time I heard his cover of Heart Shaped Box. Anyone hear that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2c9-vyCLLI

Nice find!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Horace Hucker

Anyone heard Will Butler's debut, "Policy?" It's short with only 8 songs, but man it's fun. That album, Father John Misty, and the Phosphorescent liver have been my tops so far.

BTW, if you haven't seen the video for Will Butler's "Anna," you should check it out. Hilarious.

dmooney99

I only have 2 albums so far  :embarrassed:

The Decemberists
The Districts

still need to get:

Hanni El Khatib
Moon Duo
Modest Mouse
Will Butler (maybe)

e_wind

I never thought I'd say this, but the new Kendrick is on point.

Fully

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 16, 2015, 10:33 PM
It's even better than his last album which was one of those perfect albums.

MusiKel Mama

Quote from: Fully on Mar 17, 2015, 05:46 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Mar 16, 2015, 10:33 PM

It's even better than his last album which was one of those perfect albums.

Wow...thank you guys for introducing me to this. This is fucking fantastic. Wild.

e_wind

It's insanely good. Between that and FJM, it's already a great year.

Come Closer

Much like his last album, I just don't get the hype. The production is definitely on point, but I just don't hear the lyrically sharp, amazing storyteller that everyone labels him as. Also, the greatest emcees of all time couldn't hold down an 80 minute album imo.

Mahgeetah34

Good Kid Maad City was the best rap album to come along since The College Dropout. His new album isn't bad, but it's not as amazing as it's being hyped to be. The production is excellent though.

Mahgeetah34

Quote from: Osistheones on Mar 17, 2015, 07:51 PM
Much like his last album, I just don't get the hype. The production is definitely on point, but I just don't hear the lyrically sharp, amazing storyteller that everyone labels him as. Also, the greatest emcees of all time couldn't hold down an 80 minute album imo.

He has great storytelling. An example being from "Money Trees." One line is when he says, " I f'd Sherane and went to tell my bros/ then Usher Raymond Let It Burn came on." Burn was the popular song at the time period that Kendrick is referencing when he about 15 years old. Its second meaning is that when he hooked up with Sherane, the neighborhood whore, he likely caught an STD from her.

Come Closer

Yeah i dunno, Ras Kass has spit those type of double entendres for 20 yrs and nobody cares about him. I just hear an emcee that shows flashes but is inconsistent and average overall to me.

e_wind

Quote from: Mahgeetah34 on Mar 17, 2015, 09:01 PM
Good Kid Maad City was the best rap album to come along since The College Dropout. His new album isn't bad, but it's not as amazing as it's being hyped to be. The production is excellent though.

It's too early for me to claim TPAB stacks up against GKMC, but the high I'm on right now makes me think its better. musically, lyrics aside, its amazing. the jazz. the funk. its all there. King Kunta is lyrically my favorite song by him as well.

Also, For Free (Interlude) is my early submission for best song of 2015.

e_wind

lyrically, King Kunta and The Night Josh Tillman Came To Our Apt. are the two early contenders for best songs of 2015. shit. both so good. I've been freaking out about both since they day they came out.

MusiKel Mama

oistheone

I don't know how anyone could not get chills at the end of "Mortal Man" on the new Kendrick album. The way the music builds while he reads his caterpillar poem and calls out to Tupac? Goddamn.

This album deserves it's own thread. This is some deep shit. Very interested to see how this plays out live!