Main Menu

Alabama Shakes

Started by BigHerm, Feb 10, 2015, 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigHerm

Never thought it would happen but we have new music from them.

Album out late April; "Sound and Color"

New Single; "Don't Wanna Fight"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x-5OX7CO26c

IMeMine

'what you like, what I like
why can't we both be right?'

That's a great line.

Everything passes...Everything changes...Just do what you think you should do

davymac

I'm digging the new track and can't wait for the full album! Thanks for sharing  :beer:

ffghtrs

Cannot wait to pick that up. WHY OH WHY GOD IS APRIL SO FAR AWAY?!?!?!?!
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Jacket Fanatic

Vinyl has been pre-ordered!

Woldie

Alabama Shakes, along with opener Songhoy Blues, absolutely rocked us here in Milwaukee last night!  (For those who have been to shows here, Milwaukee does NOT dance, but these two bands got people shakin'!)  What a fantastic way to celebrate the advent of warm weather and festival season!  Do yourself a favor and get to a stop on this tour!   :cheesy:
"The owls are not what they seem."

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: Woldie on Mar 16, 2015, 11:11 AM
Alabama Shakes, along with opener Songhoy Blues, absolutely rocked us here in Milwaukee last night!  (For those who have been to shows here, Milwaukee does NOT dance, but these two bands got people shakin'!)  What a fantastic way to celebrate the advent of warm weather and festival season!  Do yourself a favor and get to a stop on this tour!   :cheesy:
I completely agree!  The show was fantastic!  I hear she doesn't like to be compared to Janice Joplin, but heck you can't help but think it.  :thumbsup:

lpkell2145

I am so excited about their new album. I got to see them at the GA Theatre back in January and the show was incredible! They are showing such growth in their music and I really like the experimental direction they're going with it.
20 times I wish you'd understand...

ffghtrs

I saw them at the Paramount in Seattle, great venue, anywho they killed it.  just song after song after song kicking ass taking names...anywho after wards some guy was being a dick about the way Brittany was putting on an act in a few songs.  I walked up to him and said dude that girl has the pipes to do a James Brown R & B show anytime she feels.  he had nothing to say in return.  I'm quite a large dude so i think he was scared.  i didn't mean to be a dick but man that just grinded my gears.  I hate people hating especially when that kind of talent is being displayed ever so amazingly.  i love Brittany, i want to jam with her. 
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

Mr. White

Saw them on Letterman a while back and really liked the new song they played. Can't wait for the album!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

Mr. White

rincon2

Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Mar 16, 2015, 02:39 PM
Quote from: Woldie on Mar 16, 2015, 11:11 AM
I completely agree!  The show was fantastic!  I hear she doesn't like to be compared to Janice Joplin, but heck you can't help but think it:thumbsup:
That reminds me of Tracey Chapman saying she did not like being compared to Joan Armitrading. If you try to describe Tracey to someone who has never heard her, that is the best starting point for reference. Brittany is not Janis, for better or worse, but there are most definatly similarities.

justbcuzido

Here's the album streaming..

Just about to give it my first listen. What do y'all think of it?

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/12/398068310/first-listen-alabama-shakes-sound-color#playlist
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

rincon2

No sophomore slump here. The first album sounded like a Brittany solo album compared to this. This is truly a band album, and a very smart move on their part.

justbcuzido

Quote from: rincon2 on Apr 21, 2015, 12:19 PM
No sophomore slump here. The first album sounded like a Brittany solo album compared to this. This is truly a band album, and a very smart move on their part.

I agree with you for the most part, though I do think she is too good for her band. And if she had a better band she would sound even more out of this world... Not to say her band is horrible, they just aren't a top level band at all.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Penny Lane

Quote from: justbcuzido on Apr 22, 2015, 10:01 AM

I agree with you for the most part, though I do think she is too good for her band. And if she had a better band she would sound even more out of this world... Not to say her band is horrible, they just aren't a top level band at all.

I agree with that to some extent, I also think they are just starting out and haven't really gotten the songwriting thing down. I think there's a huge difference between having a distinct soul sound but they need to translate it into more songs. They can kill covers and she's so talented as a singer, and I like that this album is branching out into some 'shoegaze' and other directions, but despite their quick notoriety, I think they're right where they need to be. They'll get there but everyone else jumped ahead and put them where they maybe hadn't gotten to yet? Not sure if that makes sense..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

parkervb

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 22, 2015, 10:50 AM
Quote from: justbcuzido on Apr 22, 2015, 10:01 AM

I agree with that to some extent, I also think they are just starting out and haven't really gotten the songwriting thing down. I think there's a huge difference between having a distinct soul sound but they need to translate it into more songs. They can kill covers and she's so talented as a singer, and I like that this album is branching out into some 'shoegaze' and other directions, but despite their quick notoriety, I think they're right where they need to be. They'll get there but everyone else jumped ahead and put them where they maybe hadn't gotten to yet? Not sure if that makes sense..

i think it makes perfect sense. They've had a really quick ascension & the band will catch up to the force of nature that is Brittany Howard.
Don't you ever turn it off

e_wind

I just listened to the new album for the first time, and I'd have to say that it is far superior to the first, IMO.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Mr. White

I got the album late last night and am just now having a good listen. Two songs to go and I'm liking it real well. I've gotten to see them twice now in concert and feel they will only get better with time (hoping they stay together and the music industry doesn't start whispering solo record deals in Brittany's ear). They need time to develop their talents and stage presence a bit more, in my opinion.