Main Menu

Israel Nash Gripka

Started by rincon2, Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon2

Thank God for modern tech. Driving home from work I heard this awesome tune on KCRW, the LA NPR station. I Soundhounded it and it was some artist I never heard of. Israel Nash Gripka, the song Rain Plans. I downloaded the album on Rhapsody. I think it is the first time since I saw Okonokos, which was my MMJ discovery, that I heard an album from the beginning and knew I had a new top tier favorite. The best way to describe it in 2 albums is some kind of mix of Harvest and It Still Moves. I did a search on this forum to see if he was discussed, and he was mentioned,  only twice, ironically by 2 members I have actually met in person. If they see this, they know who they are.

Come Closer

I could've sworn I've posted about him, but I guess not. Maybe it was the album pic in the vinyl thread. Anyways, Barn Doors and Concrete Floors is also worth checking out. Excited to see what his next project sounds like.

Ob1jacobe

Funny,  I discovered him on rdio last week.  He is listed as just Israel Nash and i have already recommended to a friend.  great stuff  :thumbsup:

headhunter

Saw him at The Mercury Lounge in NYC earlier this year and he was fantastic.  Great presence and energy.    Rain Plans is just and awesome album.   Definitely try to catch him next time he comes around. Before he gets too big.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

ruralt

Love Israel Nash. Rain Plans is beautiful. I think he's recording a new album right now with one of the guys from Midlake. They built one of those quonset hut buildings out in the Texas hill country and put a studio in that. :cool:

Come Closer

The new album is great.   :thumbsup:

MMJ_fanatic

I really dig this guy--on a MMJ love level.  I nominate him as their next opening act for sure.  If you're a fan please comment--if you don't know him then just try not to be a fan after listening to this pedal steel drenched biscuit at max volume:

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

headhunter

He's awesome.

Saw him in NYC at the Mercury Lounge not to long ago.

Agreed, he would be an awesome opener for MMJ
was some shakin' and some record playin'

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

joey_rogo

Rain Plans is in my car. Listen to it all the time.

Come Closer

Not to be that guy, but yeah there's a post about him/them still on the first page. Ok cya.

WickedMessenger

Good stuff. Recommendations like these are why I come here.
The singing in places reminds me of some 70's music like Seals & Crofts (a good thing) but then the songs blast into rocking guitar solos.

CHIMMJFAN

Thanks to all that started and participated in this thread. I purchased Rain Plans on Thursday night and have been listening all weekend.

So far I have become a big fan of War on Drugs, Strand of Oaks, and now Israel Nash via threads in "other music" thank you all!

CHIMMJFAN
"He got tired of walkin' a tightrope"

ruralt

Quote from: CHIMMJFAN on Nov 23, 2015, 03:20 AM
Thanks to all that started and participated in this thread. I purchased Rain Plans on Thursday night and have been listening all weekend.

So far I have become a big fan of War on Drugs, Strand of Oaks, and now Israel Nash via threads in "other music" thank you all!

CHIMMJFAN

When I perused the Other Music section of this forum for the first time, it was weird seeing threads on so many artists that I also enjoyed.  It was like, "yeah... these are my people."  Love the War on Drugs and Strand of Oaks too.

And the new Israel Nash album is FANTASTIC. Him opening for MMJ would be so awesome. I'm still fuming over all the Strand of Oaks opener shows being too far away for me to attend.

ChiefOKONO

Anyone heard his new one - Lifted yet?  It is really good!!  Digging it!

MMJTX

Anytime

APR

Thanks for the reminder that this is now out.  I like seeing the two positive reviews above!

LBSUNFLWR

We got tickets to see him in September. 👍🏻