Llaf Retaw Discussion

Started by oistheone, Apr 05, 2015, 02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

The whole album is incredible, but I'm having trouble moving on from the amazingness of "The Waterfall" and "Only Memories Remain".

"The Waterfall" is fascinating. Might be MMJ's most ambitiously structured song. So many parts comin' and goin'. Jim and Carl killin' it is almost to be expected at this point, but Bo absolutely slays it with the "Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am"-esque synth lines. [Sidenote: Bo is the secret star of this album]

And of course "Only Memories" is otherwordly. Jim and Carl in perfect harmony with those licks. It sounds like it could have been recorded with Neil during the On The Beach sessions. Possibly the most epically chill tune MMJ has ever laid to tape. Seeing this live will be complete bliss.

getinthevan

I was very pleasantly surprised by the album.  It's beautiful.  The opening of the album totally caught me off guard and really let my mind be open to everything that was to follow.  It's more cohesive than Evil Urges and I think that overall it's better than Circuital (not that I dislike Circuital).  They've ventured into new territory and attached their signature to it. 
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

e-stone

Quote from: getinthevan on Apr 06, 2015, 10:06 AM
I was very pleasantly surprised by the album.  It's beautiful.  The opening of the album totally caught me off guard and really let my mind be open to everything that was to follow.  It's more cohesive than Evil Urges and I think that overall it's better than Circuital (not that I dislike Circuital).  They've ventured into new territory and attached their signature to it.

really well put - i agree with everything you've said here.

the two standouts upon first few listens for me are "Like A River" (that breakdown...jesus) and "Thin Line" (i can already feel how those opening guitars will sound at Red Rocks this summer)

even "Big Decisions" sucks a little less sandwiched in the album  :wink:

i've not been this excited about new Jacket tunes in a long while.  it's nice.

CountSA

Just got to listen one time through on the commute home (and once more as quiet background music on the home system)
First quick impressions:
Believe - Lyrically uplifting, didn't really grab my attention though.

Compound Fracture - immediately started bobbing head, a great jam.

Like A River - I like it, I think I like it a lot.  Musically great, it doesn't sound like any other MMJ song yet strangely familiar.  Almost like a forgotten acousticy Zeppelin b-side

In Its Infancy - my top 1 or 2 on the album.  The vocal breakdown in the middle gave me chills.

Get the Point - good 'old stripped down acoustic MMJ.

Spring - better mixed in with the album than on its own.

Thin Line - cool trippy intro, wasn't really feeling this except for the guitar breakdown at the middle-end is AWESOME, wish that was longer.

Big Decisions - this one's really grown on me over the past month.

Tropics - I think Walterfredo described this sounding like Bon Jovi Dead or Alive but in a good way - spot on.  Really cool guitar picking(?) going on.

Only Memories Remain - as good as everyone hoped/felt from the OBH video. 

sweatboard

Let's just call this what it is.....This Album Blows.

At least the OBH bootlegs kill!!!!
There's Still Time.........

Fully

I disagree,  sweatboard. I really love this album. It took me about four listens but then it hit me me hard.

LBSUNFLWR

agreed, after 3-4 listens I really started to love it. Tracks 5-10 especially.
so excited to hear some of these songs live this summer!

sweatboard

I've listened to this album straight through about 12 times and it still isn't doing it for me.  The songs just aren't there for me.  I still Love the band but this album just seems to lack guitar and lyrics for me.  Plus it's just kind of depressing.....it's like a break up album without a lot of pure emotional power.   
There's Still Time.........