Screening and Discussion of Jim Henson's THE DARK CRYSTAL

Started by CC, Jun 16, 2015, 04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

THE CAROLINA THEATRE OF DURHAM PRESENTS
FILM: ACOUSTIC WITH MY MORNING JACKET | MODERN SCHOOL OF FILM'S SCREENING AND DISCUSSION OF THE DARK CRYSTAL
Monday, July 27 | 7PM
The Modern School of Film, a popular series that invites special guests to present and discuss a favorite movie, comes to The Carolina Theatre of Durham. The Modern School of Film programs a series of screenings and discussions with the goal of bringing concentrated film-talk back into cinemas, with celebrated guests hand-picking and discussing a film which, quite simply, inspires them and their work.

http://www.carolinatheatre.org/events/film-acoustic-my-morning-jacket

Crispy

"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

subinai

buymycar

Hopefully they discuss the drinking game where you take a shot every time the word "gelfling" is uttered during the movie.

manonthemoon

Thinking of going down early just to make this, kind of an interesting idea.
Alive or Just Breathing

armando

Just to be clear, does the "acoustic" part of the title mean they'll perform in an acoustic setting or does it mean they're talking about the film?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

dontgetupset

I just called the theater. The series is called Film: Acoustic and the word is used even when a non-musician is there to discuss a film. She admitted that usage of the word "Acoustic" makes this somewhat confusing.

The band will discuss their thoughts on the film and then there will be a screening and then a discussion (IIRC). There is no guarantee that music will be played. (to me it seemed unlikely that music would be played).

Soooooooooooooooooooooo weird. So this band.

armando

Thanks for the info. Love the idea and that the guys are down. May need to head up to Raleigh a night early.

Gina

I'm going.  Anyone gone to one of these types of events before? 

Will there be any sort of merch?  Is there any chance of getting something autographed?  Just curious.  How cool would it be to have a Dark Crystal poster autographed? LOL :thumbsup:

ericm

Quote from: Gina on Jun 20, 2015, 06:06 PM

Will there be any sort of merch?  Is there any chance of getting something autographed?  Just curious.  How cool would it be to have a Dark Crystal poster autographed? LOL :thumbsup:

Nice one Gina!  :cool:  :thumbsup:

Any chance you'll have one of your great sketches to get autographed?   :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

armando

I'm going, too. Have no idea what to expect, hence it should be a super interesting night!

itrainmonkeys

I'm disappointed I don't live closer.  Jim Henson + Jim James = happy monkey trainer.

Gina

Quote from: ericm on Jun 20, 2015, 08:36 PM

The thought has crossed my mind, Eric.  I was thinking....how cool to match each guy up with a Dark Crystal character?  Or maybe just do a drawing of them.  I dunno.  Less than a month left for this.

ericm

Quote from: Gina on Jun 29, 2015, 07:37 PM
Quote from: ericm on Jun 20, 2015, 08:36 PM

The thought has crossed my mind, Eric.  I was thinking....how cool to match each guy up with a Dark Crystal character?  Or maybe just do a drawing of them.  I dunno.  Less than a month left for this.

Haha. I'm sure it did Gina!  I know if anyone can pull this off it'll be you.  Less than a month isn't much time but hopefully you can get something together. I know the guys will love your work, and appreciate the effort.   :cool:

If you do something, you have to post a pic for us.  :thumbsup:

I was also trying to somehow make that Charlotte show on my way down to St. Augustine but it looks like I'll be flying down late that week, and not driving. No worries though, we'll catch a show together one of these days.
"Where's Jim going?"

badu2fan

I saw Jeff Tweedy in May it was so cool to hear them discuss the movie and also his music from Uncle Tupelo to Wilco. He then played 5 acoustic songs. There is no guarantee that they will play but I would expect one acoustic song!!!

From watching the preview of movie looks like a psychedelic night!!!! But will be interesting why they picked that movie. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/american_movie/ this is the movie Tweedy reviewed and was interesting perspective on how successful the artist was with out every releasing a full length film. Tweedy also had his younger son (not the one who plays drums) and he joined the discussion and they talked about lots of cool life and special moments etc.
The venue is very small and usually don't sell seats in balcony. Surprised it is the entire band as other artists have done it solo. Lead Singer of Flaming Lips. A member of Arcade Fire Lucinda Williams have all hosted a movie night.
This could be a  very special night. Hope to see a few MMJheads hanging out.
:drum:

layin low

ericm

Quote from: layin low on Jul 28, 2015, 02:35 PM
Anyone that went have a report on this?

I didn't go but was told they didn't play anything. I didn't get any more deetz than that.
"Where's Jim going?"

badu2fan

fun night with band discussing Jim Henson and influences in film and music composing. Jim mentioned how his solo album was to be a sound track for film but due to the fickle business of Hollywood it has not made it yet.
Seeing them interact with each other was a treat as they are so low key. They walked together with out security to the Carolina Theater. Afterwards, I wish I gotten photo as it reminded me of  the Abby Road cover. But getting to meet Patrick Bo and Carl was cool,
they are so humble and appreciative!!

It really was a unique night seeing them with out instruments discussing life moments through film etc. They all said they needed the down time as it had been an intense week with playing with Roger and tour. It showed last night as they treated Raleigh to one of the best shows I have seen.

From other stops on tour do they use more background screens and graphic then we got in Raleigh. I noticed last year Beck didn't have his graphics on screens that he used in Charlotte stop when he played Red Hat. (it took away from his overall presentation) I wonder if Red Hat has limitations for Stage Backdrops and Screens? I haven't seen any you tube videos of other venues.

badu2fan

They also shared an old animation feature with MMJ before the band came out to speak. Unfortunately the projection stopped before it ended.

Gina

I liked listening to the guys each reflect a little on when they first recall seeing the film and what it meant for them at that time.  They talked about some other films too a little, and about the making of this one.  Bo and Tom were a little less talkative.  Patrick surprised me a bit - I wasn't expecting such deep reflections.  No disrespect.  They really wanted to talk about the "making off" extra on the DVD, but couldn't get that licensed.  In any case, I think it's incredibly cool that they shared this with us. 

There was a brief Q & A at the end too.  Overall - an enjoyable laid-back evening.  I was most surprised at how many that attended had NEVER seen The Dark Crystal.

The guys were all in good spirits, enjoying the night "off" from touring.  We got a helluva great show the next day in Raleigh and the day after in Charlotte too!

I believe Armano has a few photos from the front row.  I didn't get my camera out.  There are images here too: http://www.carolinatheatre.org/blog/filmacoustic-my-morning-jacket-gallery