New Album Speculation

Started by wamsankas, Jul 19, 2015, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wamsankas

Is it early to start wondering about when the 2nd album will arrive? They are touring pretty hard for the rest of the year but maybe give us a Wilco type surprise christmas release???

CountSA

I could be totally making this up but I thought I heard April.

amskinz

I feel like I read April somewhere also.
But wondering about the release date isn't the kind of speculating I was hoping for.  Now what will this new album sound like, that's what I want to get in to. Will it be a mellow continuation of The Waterfall? Did they hold over all the heavy grooves? Who cares, it's just gonna add to their outstanding body of work regardless.
Now, back to your regularly scheduled posts...
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

justbcuzido

Quote from: amskinz on Jul 20, 2015, 06:47 PM
I feel like I read April somewhere also.
But wondering about the release date isn't the kind of speculating I was hoping for.  Now what will this new album sound like, that's what I want to get in to. Will it be a mellow continuation of The Waterfall? Did they hold over all the heavy grooves? Who cares, it's just gonna add to their outstanding body of work regardless.
Now, back to your regularly scheduled posts...

I think I remember Jim saying that the next album was gonna be more "dancey"
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

PJAMVedder

I can already dance to most of their stuff anyway

TheRoof

I, think, I remembered an interview and Jim saying - early 2016

Don't give too much credence to a faulty memory though...and I've bumped my head hard a few times.  :smiley:
You Are Everything

kholl44

They recorded ~20 songs all at once at Stinson Beach- 10 ended up on the Waterfall with 2 bonus tracks- I think I remember Jim saying recently they have just a little more work to do for the new album. But yes, he also said that it would be more funky-dance-spacey... Different from the Waterfall for sure!

I just hope this means they'll go on another massive tour next summer :)
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand

gardenparty

hopefully soon.  I have a feeling it will be longer than they originally eluded to but ya never know.

My hope is that it will be two spring releases in a row.

parkervb

Quote from: gardenparty on Jul 22, 2015, 11:35 AM
hopefully soon.  I have a feeling it will be longer than they originally eluded to but ya never know.

My hope is that it will be two spring releases in a row.

i definitely think the April release timeline was optimistic.  I imagine the way they feel about some songs will change, they might have some new ideas for songs.  So, while it will be '16. I imagine it might be closer to June.  Just speculating...
Don't you ever turn it off

jimsflyingv

I hope that after all the touring they are more in the mood for more little for more rock rather than dancey songs

SplatSplatSplat

I wouldn't be surprised if it's delayed til 2017. Especially if they come up with some new stuff while touring and, as mentioned, they reevaluate the songs they've recorded and maybe decide to change them up a little. Time changes your perspective on stuff like that.

There is a downside to 2 new LPs in such a short time: if they do release it next spring and then go on tour, the setlists could be almost all new stuff, with little room for the oldies. Judging by their current setlists, they are playing anywhere from 6 up to 10 Waterfall songs in a 22 song set.  Imagine if they kept that ratio for the new LP's tour - there wouldn't be much room left for anything pre-Circuital. I'm sure they would work some in, but I'd have doubts about getting any truly deep cuts. I already have that nowadays unless I'm attending a multi night run. Then again it's just the nature of the beast, supporting your new LP.

I'd really like to see them tour independent of an LP and go crazy without feeling they have to play the new stuff. Those type shows, those have craziest, best set variations
You need it.  That's for sure.

getinthevan

Let me preface this by saying that I love wildly speculating.   :grin:

It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that MMJ could be the backing band on an upcoming Roger Waters tour, possibly in support of his new album which could also feature MMJ.  This would probably delay the release of the next MMJ album.  Either way, I think I would be surprised if their next album actually came out in the spring.  An EP or even a series of EP's could be cool though... 

Or they pull a Wilco and just drop a new album without warning.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Lonndown27

Quote from: getinthevan on Jul 25, 2015, 02:01 PM
Let me preface this by saying that I love wildly speculating.   :grin:

It doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that MMJ could be the backing band on an upcoming Roger Waters tour, possibly in support of his new album which could also feature MMJ.  This would probably delay the release of the next MMJ album.  Either way, I think I would be surprised if their next album actually came out in the spring.  An EP or even a series of EP's could be cool though... 

Or they pull a Wilco and just drop a new album without warning.

I'd be really annoyed with them for doing a Roger Waters backing tour, A) Jim needs his back to be rested when not on tour with MMJ, touring with MMJ is hard enough  B) Why let him get hurt more from overwork when they could be chilling from December to late Spring or early Summer even to flesh out the new songs and relax and hopefully build up the strength to again play 3 hour shows or at least 2 hour 40 minute ones. You just cant get enough Jacket in only 21 songs guys, lets be honest. And I'd sorta be bummed to see a show that say had 28 songs and i was all excited thinking wow we're gonna get at least 12-13 deep cuts / white whales and then bam! its 8 from The Waterfall, 10 from the New One and 8 more warhorses like Wordless, Lay Low, OBH, and then maybe 2 songs a night being truly rarely played.....I mean its really really really fucking hard to be angry or annoyed or even bummed about any show MMJ play.

A surprise release would be interesting, considering MMJ love to play up the mysticism and zany part of their legend.

I just hope we get an album thats:
1. Weird and not afraid to go over the edge
2. Lots of Guitars :)
3. Lots of Carl backing vocals
4. Jim wailing away
5. A couple epic songs
6. Maybe some prog rock mixed with trance sound in the bourbon flavored Jacket way :)
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

rincon2

It was initially hinted for April 2016. There were other hints it might be released in the fall of 2015. More music for shows is a double edged sword, as it dilutes the old stuff/covers live, but there is no real downside to new MMJ. I think a specifically dance oriented album is fantastic.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: rincon2 on Jul 25, 2015, 08:22 PM
More music for shows is a double edged sword, as it dilutes the old stuff/covers live, but there is no real downside to new MMJ. I think a specifically dance oriented album is fantastic.

^^^^^^^^^^
Nailed it

buymycar

http://mymorningjacket.net/index.php/topic,19265.0.html

LEO: From the sessions from "The Waterfall," you guys have another record in the bag, right?
JJ: Yeah, about 70 percent of one.

LEO: Is this next record related to "The Waterfall" conceptually in any way or will it completely stand on its own?
JJ: It's completely different. I have a ton of demos and we kind of went into ["The Waterfall" sessions] with no goal, no timeframe, no conceptual idea. We just wanted to go somewhere and start playing songs and let the chips fall where they may.

millerjustin

March/April 2016 - more heavy touring, hitting the markets and fests they missed this year, then OBH3 finish line Jan/Feb 2017.  and then a nice vacation for these hard working dudes!!!
What's in here won't disappear

BH

I think they should call it "The Evaporation" to continue the circuital theme.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Crispy

Quote from: BH on Jul 27, 2015, 04:50 PM
I think they should call it "The Evaporation" to continue the circuital theme.

Yes! So then there would HAVE to be two more albums: "The Condensation," followed by "The Precipitation"!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Lonndown27

hahahahah what the fuck Crispy and BH? you guys are craaaaaazy!

i think the album will be very trippy and use a ton of effects as iconic moments, like a delayed keyboard part begins swirling around the listener slowly (like the omnichord on Touch Me II), stuff like that. I'm hoping dancy means COBRA style insanity, not really a re-tread of Touch Me II and that era. they already have dance songs, and they happen to get better night after night with the new jams!

something in the middle of long guitar majesties like Only Memories / I Will Sing U / Rollin Back / Steam Engine / Phone would be awesome, and add a little soul and a little prog and you cut out the acoustic ditty novelties and we'll be perfect!

but really whatever they do...WILL BE
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018