New Album Speculation

Started by wamsankas, Jul 19, 2015, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justbcuzido

Quote from: ruralt on May 13, 2016, 01:42 AM
Quote from: Human Sauce on May 12, 2016, 11:42 PM
I'm loving the ACL version of Throwback. Got a Neil Young vibe to it. I'll be stoked if this is the direction they're heading for a new album.

Funny you say that. I heard the song a few times waiting for the OKC show, and heard it during the show, but despite that, when I watched the ACL performance I still didn't know it was that song... During the intro on ACL I said, "What's this? It sounds like Neil Young."

Saw it tonight thanks to some generous soul on Periscope, and I have to say, the more I hear it, the more I like it. The jam in the song is definitely contributing to that. We didn't get that in OKC.

Funny you say that, cause in Houston we didn't get treated to that nasty jam either. I'm glad to see this song evolve and get better in my opinion. The ACL performance sold me.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Mr. White

While getting dressed and ready for the day this morning, I found myself whistling "Throwback". I guess I must like it.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Stevie

I've come to repent...  I can't find my post, but I originally stated that I "hated" Throwback.  I didn't even really like it when they played it in Louisville.. but then on my way home a melody got stuck in my head, and it turned out to be Throwback.. so i brought up the ACL version of it and instantly it clicked.  I really can't get enough of it now. 

I think the problem was that I wanted and expected one thing and got something completely different.. when i let the song be the song, i started to appreciate some really cool aspects of it..  this tends to be my experience with most new Jacket stuff, except that i usually don't hate it i just don't really know how to feel about it. 

Anyway.. Throwback kicks ass and I can't wait to hear it again at Red Rocks. 

rincon2

Quote from: Stevie on May 16, 2016, 01:49 AM
I've come to repent...  I can't find my post, but I originally stated that I "hated" Throwback.  I didn't even really like it when they played it in Louisville.. but then on my way home a melody got stuck in my head, and it turned out to be Throwback.. so i brought up the ACL version of it and instantly it clicked.  I really can't get enough of it now. 

I think the problem was that I wanted and expected one thing and got something completely different.. when i let the song be the song, i started to appreciate some really cool aspects of it..  this tends to be my experience with most new Jacket stuff, except that i usually don't hate it i just don't really know how to feel about it. 

I think what you are describing is exactly what Evil Urges did to long time fans when it first came out. Not what was anticipated, yet really chock full of ear worms. (Circuital remains worm free to me)

Stevie

Quote from: rincon2 on May 16, 2016, 11:41 AM
Quote from: Stevie on May 16, 2016, 01:49 AM

I think what you are describing is exactly what Evil Urges did to long time fans when it first came out. Not what was anticipated, yet really chock full of ear worms. (Circuital remains worm free to me)

Definitely!  And totally agree on Circuital.  Although Slow Slow Tune is an extremely powerful song live. 

mancityzens

I've got to say....it's been 6 weeks since Red Rocks.  I've listened to each night of the live recordings probably a dozen times.  Throwback is a damn jam!! As with most, I wasn't digging it the first time I heard it.  After the ACL show, my buddy and I were like "wait....that is the same song?! It's so good!" I listen to the RR version multiple times per week (along with War Begun & Picture of You  :cheesy:)...

Not sure it meshes well with Magic Bullet from a "new album" perspective, but I'm not sure we should read too much into that at this moment.  Both of these songs are excellent jams.  Can't wait to hear how the band breaks down Magic Bullet at Lockn.  It should be a powerful few minutes.  It's got a haunting sound about it...

Stevie

has an extremely similar feel to Only Memories Remain.  I wonder if they toyed with the idea of keeping OMR for the second album and creating a real spacey, easy listening kind of album.  Would have been interesting.