New Album Speculation

Started by wamsankas, Jul 19, 2015, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonndown27

Quote from: jcc0065 on Oct 02, 2015, 12:51 PM

Quote from: justbcuzido on Oct 02, 2015, 10:32 AM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Oct 01, 2015, 10:34 PM
Ohhhh ok I getcha now...goddamn that'd just fucking suck. I feel very privileged just to be able to see them twice!

That is why whenever people complain about set lists, I think, one day you people are going to wish you could see them on stage playing "I'm Amazed" or Black Metal. That's why I cherish it no matter what's played or not played, because one day, it will all end either for me or the band. So in the meantime, I shall enjoy it all

im never one to complain, as i pretty much enjoy all mmj songs no matter what. Thats being said, i wish they would get to the point where they could play very different setlists night in and night out, but the fan support is simply not there YET, but it will be sooner rather than later.

Look at Widespread Panic (who im not really a fan of btw, but respect the hell out of them), they dont play the same song twice in a row ever. I know they are more of a jam band and have been around way longer, but how great would that be later in MMJ's career?!?

I second what you said though, one day when theyve decided to hang it up we will all wish we could hear songs like those!

great greeeeat points from both of you! I hope for rarities on 10/07 SLC, like Come CLoser, I WIll Sing You, Rollin Back, Oxen etc and i doubt it'll happen but as long as they play one or two and blow my face off and at least give us a little something new (considering they HAVE played more or less the same songs the last four times they've been here).
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

WinstonLegthigh

I think, one day you people are going to wish you could see them on stage playing...Black Metal...
This song would suck even if Jesus tried covering it.

jcc0065

Quote from: WinstonLegthigh on Oct 04, 2015, 03:38 AM
I think, one day you people are going to wish you could see them on stage playing...Black Metal...

justbcuzido

That's like, your opinion, man!
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

tippitoes22

I'm gonna have to agree with Winston(great name by the way-RS,RR circus)
When they play it I'm usually stoked cuz Holdin on to Black Metal=
I'm holdin onto a full bladder. It's a great piss song and you gotta have em. But yes Jesus himself couldn't get me interested in that song. The only version I like is the original, Thai or Cambodian song it's based off of. If someone could post that version on this thread I'd appreciate it.

And as far as saying, someday I'll wish I could see them onstage playin HOBM...
NOPE, that day will never come, EVER. Wanna know how I'm certain...? Because from the first time I heard it on their website before "Circuital" came out til this second, I have never wanted to hear it again. I think they(MMJ) likes playin it or Jim likes singing it, and there's a large fan contingent who likes hearing it too, which is fine. It is just absolutely, positively, not my jam AT ALL. Never has been, never will be. Evan with Prez hall or Antibalas on horns. It's a GREAT piss song and that's all it will ever be for me.

And to answer justbecuaseido's comment about Widespread Panic...Full disclosure, I'm a recovering WSP Fan. Working the steps, one day at a time. I Saw of 75-100 WSP shows.
Hi my name is TIPPITOES and I'm a Widespread fan (used to be). But here's the difference btween these 2 bands
1) WSP hasn't written a good song since 1998. It started with their album "Don't tell the band"
    Which should've been called "Don't tell the band, their new lp SUCKS!"   
2)And they're fans got to be Soo Bad! Southern frat boys on too much Molly,does not for a good show make.
3)Also I got tired of shelling out big $ to see talented musicians butcher covers of some of my Favorite bands songs. Just shitting out terrible covers so bad that it was embarrassing.

I don't think we'll have that problem with MMJ. The have that almost "Willie Nelson" like quality of covering a song and doing it justice and making it their own. And if and when that day comes, that they decide to hang up their hats it will be a sad day indeed, but I refuse to believe that if this great band we all love so much decides to call it quits, I seriously doubt it will be with the caveat that " We're done playin live, except for HOBM..."

As I've typed this I realize more than half of it is subjective and kinda goofy, but fuck em if they can't take a joke. (Them being EVERYONE)

All The Best,
Tippy

PS- I've seen ppl speculating about doing something like Wilco did, or MMJs new thing might be something Wilco did this one time. I just wanna go on the record and say I hope they don't do anything resembling anything Wilco's every done. I wish this for selfish reasons and I wish it for everyone who hasn't realized that Wilco sucks yet...yet

PPS-Sorry if I've offended any Wilco fans(not really, it's an empty apology.They suck)

PPPS- I think the new record is gonna have an underlying dub ICP vibe, with a Sugar Ray meets 311+Sublime, Meets Hoobastank feel. So stoked. Jugaloos 4 LYFE+lame So Cal feel, sounds like a dream come true...? LP Title "Peaceful Greazy Feelin' " :)
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

Lonndown27

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Oct 17, 2015, 12:00 AM

I'm gonna have to agree with Winston(great name by the way-RS,RR circus)
When they play it I'm usually stoked cuz Holdin on to Black Metal=
I'm holdin onto a full bladder. It's a great piss song and you gotta have em. But yes Jesus himself couldn't get me interested in that song. The only version I like is the original, Thai or Cambodian song it's based off of. If someone could post that version on this thread I'd appreciate it.

And as far as saying, someday I'll wish I could see them onstage playin HOBM...
NOPE, that day will never come, EVER. Wanna know how I'm certain...? Because from the first time I heard it on their website before "Circuital" came out til this second, I have never wanted to hear it again. I think they(MMJ) likes playin it or Jim likes singing it, and there's a large fan contingent who likes hearing it too, which is fine. It is just absolutely, positively, not my jam AT ALL. Never has been, never will be. Evan with Prez hall or Antibalas on horns. It's a GREAT piss song and that's all it will ever be for me.

And to answer justbecuaseido's comment about Widespread Panic...Full disclosure, I'm a recovering WSP Fan. Working the steps, one day at a time. I Saw of 75-100 WSP shows.
Hi my name is TIPPITOES and I'm a Widespread fan (used to be). But here's the difference btween these 2 bands
1) WSP hasn't written a good song since 1998. It started with their album "Don't tell the band"
    Which should've been called "Don't tell the band, their new lp SUCKS!"   
2)And they're fans got to be Soo Bad! Southern frat boys on too much Molly,does not for a good show make.
3)Also I got tired of shelling out big $ to see talented musicians butcher covers of some of my Favorite bands songs. Just shitting out terrible covers so bad that it was embarrassing.

I don't think we'll have that problem with MMJ. The have that almost "Willie Nelson" like quality of covering a song and doing it justice and making it their own. And if and when that day comes, that they decide to hang up their hats it will be a sad day indeed, but I refuse to believe that if this great band we all love so much decides to call it quits, I seriously doubt it will be with the caveat that " We're done playin live, except for HOBM..."

As I've typed this I realize more than half of it is subjective and kinda goofy, but fuck em if they can't take a joke. (Them being EVERYONE)

All The Best,
Tippy

PS- I've seen ppl speculating about doing something like Wilco did, or MMJs new thing might be something Wilco did this one time. I just wanna go on the record and say I hope they don't do anything resembling anything Wilco's every done. I wish this for selfish reasons and I wish it for everyone who hasn't realized that Wilco sucks yet...yet

PPS-Sorry if I've offended any Wilco fans(not really, it's an empty apology.They suck)

PPPS- I think the new record is gonna have an underlying dub ICP vibe, with a Sugar Ray meets 311+Sublime, Meets Hoobastank feel. So stoked. Jugaloos 4 LYFE+lame So Cal feel, sounds like a dream come true...? LP Title "Peaceful Greazy Feelin' " :)

fucking awesome post...I love Black Metal's live versions but only in doses and traces, like when Im getting sick of listening to the Rollin Backs etc, i go to a dose of hit-ivity from MMJ like a Wordless or Black Metal version i've never heard before, and usually they always knock me socks off.
But I love your opinion and how you expressed it .
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

RobRoy286

tippitoes22

Wail

a prolonged high-pitched cry of pain, grief, or anger.
"Christopher let out a wail"
synonyms:   howl, bawl, yowl, cry, moan, groan; More

Agreed, RobRoy286.
HOBM IS  a high pitched cry of pain(usually from my bladder),
grief (:cry: they played HOBM, again), anger (they could have played any other song than HOBM!)

Again just not my jam. Love the band, just not HOBM :)  :beer:

Just one guys opinion  :thumbsup:

Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

ericm

Quote from: tippitoes22 on Oct 20, 2015, 10:34 PM
Wail

a prolonged high-pitched cry of pain, grief, or anger.
"Christopher let out a wail"
synonyms:   howl, bawl, yowl, cry, moan, groan; More

Agreed, RobRoy286.
HOBM IS  a high pitched cry of pain(usually from my bladder),
grief (:cry: they played HOBM, again), anger (they could have played any other song than HOBM!)

Again just not my jam. Love the band, just not HOBM :)  :beer:

Just one guys opinion  :thumbsup:

You can add me to the list.  Not my jam either. Never was, and never will be.

Ftr, I've been a big Springsteen fan for 40 years and he's got a few tunes I can't stand too.
"Where's Jim going?"

jcc0065

dont get the hate on black metal here. been one of my favorites

gardenparty

I didn't care for Black Metal when it was played every night on the Circuital tour but it was such a surprise and absolutely rocking in Vegas. Bring it on!

I wish they'd give Circuital a night off. 

Lonndown27

anybody hear anything new?

millerjustin

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Oct 21, 2015, 01:25 AM

Tom and Bo spent some time with people outside SF shows - sounds like lighter touring schedule in 2016 (but with some gems in May - stay tuned) - maybe album late year, but most likely 2017 with OBH3
What's in here won't disappear

Lonndown27

Quote from: millerjustin on Oct 21, 2015, 05:23 PM

Tom and Bo spent some time with people outside SF shows - sounds like lighter touring schedule in 2016 (but with some gems in May - stay tuned) - maybe album late year, but most likely 2017 with OBH3

Gems in May huh??? ohhhhhhh Millerjustin, its Millertime!

justbcuzido

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Oct 22, 2015, 12:05 AM
Quote from: millerjustin on Oct 21, 2015, 05:23 PM

Gems in May huh??? ohhhhhhh Millerjustin, its Millertime!

All the shows are gems :)

Now I wonder if that means Jim will still release a solo record in 2016?

wheelhousetunes

QuoteNow I wonder if that means Jim will still release a solo record in 2016?

If it's anything like his last one, I hope not.

justbcuzido

Quote from: wheelhousetunes on Oct 22, 2015, 11:20 AM

I personally really liked it and it was great to see live. But to each their own. I also like Holding Onto Black Metal, so what do I know

Mr. White

I love Jim's solo album! The tour he did for it was killer! I saw him 4 times on that tour (front row for 3 of the 4 shows) and thought the energy and intimacy of the venues was fantastic! Plus, his backing band members are all very skilled professionals. I can't wait for his next album/tour!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

wheelhousetunes

I personally really liked it and it was great to see live. But to each their own. I also like Holding Onto Black Metal, so what do I know

My expectations for it was massively high. I should probably give it a few more listens.

GO4IT

Quote from: Mr. White on Oct 22, 2015, 01:58 PM

I love Jim's solo album! The tour he did for it was killer! I saw him 4 times on that tour (front row for 3 of the 4 shows) and thought the energy and intimacy of the venues was fantastic! Plus, his backing band members are all very skilled professionals. I can't wait for his next album/tour!
Mr. White is right on the money here.  He was a few seats away from me up front, and there was a good contingent of forum folks including Fully, Sara, ..., at the Louisville hometown show at the Brown Theater, to kick-off the second leg of this tour.

Thanks again for getting me the ticket for this show and I wish I was able, like you, to see more of this tour!