Is Roll Call worth buying now?

Started by Coat Of Many Colors, Aug 12, 2015, 12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

walterfredo

Quote from: wcazcooper95 on Nov 04, 2015, 11:35 AM
so I'm fairly new to this forum and don't quite understand the whole roll call thing. Could one of you more experienced folk explain the pros and cons of Roll Call? Been an avid listener for years, glad i finally found where all those other fans are.

Generally speaking I think most would consider roll call to be somewhat poorly run historically, but there are definitely benefits.  You generally get first crack at tickets, although the seat availability lately has been suspect.  For some shows you get the option of early entry, and also to see the soundcheck (for an extra charge).  They do periodically have contests, I was lucky to win two this year (private show performance of the Waterfall at Mack Senett studio in LA and the Waterfall listening party with Bo and Jim, also in LA), winning those was entirely worth the cost of joining right there!

You get a shirt, poster and a laminate (used to gain early entry access). 

edit:  what parker said!

johnnYYac

Quote from: touchingmept2 on Oct 02, 2015, 05:38 PM
@johnnYYac I finally received my download code for a free live show download. What show do you recommend? I see that the site with the shows doesn't have many 2015 dates available.
Sorry, touchingmept2.  Just saw this.  I think it is safe to say that there will be a healthy slate of releases coming "soon", if you're looking for shows from this year.  That said, I have all of the shows offered through LiveDownloads.  If I had to choose just one, it would probably be 6/17/08 Montreal or 11/14/11 Amsterdam. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

pattilovesmmj

I joined Roll Call about 4 1/2 years ago and have always thought it's been well worth it each year.  Didn't know it was sold out, though.  What does that mean?  Can't I be "Grandfathered" in?  I'll have to check the forum more often.....
Pros - I've met some really righteous people thru here. Johnny Y being one of the best.  A true fan/gentlemen and a musical MMJ father figure!  My dearest pal Kelly who taught me to dance at the shows or ride the rail, and always put all my energy into the show.  I won 2 contests, one to see Jim at Grimey's and one to see the entire Waterfall record in Kentucky (which I could not make).
I have had early entry and access to some of their sound checks, the best being at Forecastle when the storm prevented them from taking the stage.  Instead, they strolled out - Jim in flip flops and sang/played to us!
The posters are unique to the roll call members and being that I'm a bit of a hippy, I love the laminates - they're cool.  Additionally OBH 2 was my fantasy come true!!

Cons - Not sure, but occasionally, feel a little goofy about writing on here as I tend to ramble on.........I absolutely love this band and hope to be writing on here for years to come!

walterfredo

Cons:  friends/family hearing that at 40+ you're a member of band fan club.

wcazcooper95

so basically no cons and its all worth it to become a Roll Call Member in 2016. @walterfredo don't feel bad my "old" parents love mmj and rock out to them with me.

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 04, 2015, 12:06 PM
Cons:  friends/family hearing that at 40+ you're a member of band fan club.
Lol I'm 54

kholl44

Who cares how old you are... I'm 24 and have met some great friends at shows this tour who are old enough to be my parents but rock out harder than most people my age!
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: kholl44 on Nov 04, 2015, 03:06 PM
Who cares how old you are... I'm 24 and have met some great friends at shows this tour who are old enough to be my parents but rock out harder than most people my age!
same here kholl - that's another reason why I love this band.  I've met young and old friends and we all have this wonderful bond in common - My Morning Jacket!

walterfredo

I think you missed my point, I really don't care about age at all.  Mine, or anyone else.  But it's still funny to explain to someone exactly how/why I was able to go to a private show with the band, or a listening party of the new album with band members and a few other people.  And it's usually my wife who is quick to blurt out..."he's in the fan club".  Trust me, I'm not embarrassed.  But it's still good for a laugh.

APR

Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 04, 2015, 04:35 PM
I think you missed my point, I really don't care about age at all.  Mine, or anyone else.  But it's still funny to explain to someone exactly how/why I was able to go to a private show with the band, or a listening party of the new album with band members and a few other people.  And it's usually my wife who is quick to blurt out..."he's in the fan club".  Trust me, I'm not embarrassed.  But it's still good for a laugh.

I can relate to all of this except for the part about winning the prizes.  Fun conversations for sure!

pattilovesmmj

Quote from: APR on Nov 05, 2015, 09:33 AM
Quote from: walterfredo on Nov 04, 2015, 04:35 PM

I can relate to all of this except for the part about winning the prizes.  Fun conversations for sure!
It makes sense, I do get it.  LOL it's kind of funny when you tell people.  I get some funny looks when I talk about roll call and concerts and loving this band so much.  I've been made fun, but that's ok.  Loud and proud roll call member!

touchingmept2

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 04, 2015, 11:56 AM
Quote from: touchingmept2 on Oct 02, 2015, 05:38 PM
@johnnYYac I finally received my download code for a free live show download. What show do you recommend? I see that the site with the shows doesn't have many 2015 dates available.
Sorry, touchingmept2.  Just saw this.  I think it is safe to say that there will be a healthy slate of releases coming "soon", if you're looking for shows from this year.  That said, I have all of the shows offered through LiveDownloads.  If I had to choose just one, it would probably be 6/17/08 Montreal or 11/14/11 Amsterdam. 
thanks bud
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

dsexauer

anyone know when the 7'' typically comes in?

slappymoe

just noticed my 18-month roll call membership ends december 19th.

anyone know if there will be a chance to renew for 2016? just like i'd hate to go thru life without medical insurance, i'd hate to be without fan club coverage.

Fully

Quote from: dsexauer on Nov 17, 2015, 07:49 PM
anyone know when the 7'' typically comes in?
Once the roofies take effect.

Real answer: End of the year or whenever they feel like sending it out. More the latter than the former.

johnnYYac

Quote from: slappymoe on Dec 06, 2015, 09:16 AM

anyone know if there will be a chance to renew for 2016? just like i'd hate to go thru life without medical insurance, i'd hate to be without fan club coverage.
Generally, you can renew anytime, and the year gets tacked on to the end date of your current membership. The only thing that would affect this is the availability of the associated swag.

EDIT looks like it is currently "out of stock".
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

justbcuzido

Quote from: johnnYYac on Dec 07, 2015, 12:15 PM
Quote from: slappymoe on Dec 06, 2015, 09:16 AM

Generally, you can renew anytime, and the year gets tacked on to the end date of your current membership. The only thing that would affect this is the availability of the associated swag.

EDIT looks like it is currently "out of stock".

Yeah I'm pretty bummed, my roll call membership expired in June, I didn't renew as I had all my tickets for the year and they told me I would be able to get the 7" since I was an active member... I spoke with Ground Control and they now tell me I will not be receiving the 7"..... Pretty bummed about that as I have all of them. If anyone knows of any extras I would love to buy one.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Cameron

Yeah, pretty stupid that we have to renew months before it expires to actually get the stuff.

ellisintransit

Same for me.  I have all the previous posters, shirts, laminates, 45s, even the stamped certificate that came the first year.  Because of that weird thing they did last year I'm a member through 2016.  In September I tried to sign up so I could get the 45 and laminate for this year, but it's been sold out since at least then.  I emailed them but it was the typical response.  I got to go to one of the Waterfall warm-up shows because of this fan club and that alone makes it worth it, but I've also been a collector for more than a decade and it sucks not having an opportunity to get the cool shit.

If anyone from the Wonderful Ground Ctrl Union or MMJ Management sees this, I have 1400 Roll Call points I've been saving up that I'll give you for one of those 45s.  Or some money.  COME ON! :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: