what should you do when your new significant other doesn't like MMJ?

Started by ffghtrs, Sep 07, 2015, 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffghtrs

Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

johnnYYac

The doctor is in!

My wife, Michele. likes MMJ pretty well.  She attended my first show in Boston in 2008, another show in Boston in 2011, and their appearance at Newport Folk Festival in 2012. 

She is not a huge fan of live music, not into the scene at all.  She likes MMJ and puts up with the amount of their music I play, at home, in the car, everywhere.  That said, I see my MMJ obsession as my hobby, something I enjoy and do on my own.  She can have her own interests and, at times, we share in each other's experiences.  However, it is nice that she puts up with it and will go to a show once in a while.  Note: of the 30+ MMJ shows I've seen, she's been to 3.

I'd say its less important that your "significant other" like My Morning Jacket and more important that she supports your love of MMJ.  If she doesn't offer you that support, there will be a lot of resentment festering between you.

Good luck!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

APR

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 07, 2015, 03:39 PM
The doctor is in!

My wife, Michele. likes MMJ pretty well.  She attended my first show in Boston in 2008, another show in Boston in 2011, and their appearance at Newport Folk Festival in 2012. 

She is not a huge fan of live music, not into the scene at all.  She likes MMJ and puts up with the amount of their music I play, at home, in the car, everywhere.  That said, I see my MMJ obsession as my hobby, something I enjoy and do on my own.  She can have her own interests and, at times, we share in each other's experiences.  However, it is nice that she puts up with it and will go to a show once in a while.  Note: of the 30+ MMJ shows I've seen, she's been to 3.

I'd say its less important that your "significant other" like My Morning Jacket and more important that she supports your love of MMJ.  If she doesn't offer you that support, there will be a lot of resentment festering between you.

Good luck!

That last paragraph is spot on. 

There is nothing wrong with (and it could be argued that it is healthy) to not have perfectly overlapping interests with a significant other.  Nothing wrong with doing your own thing at times as long as it's just at times instead of all the time.

ffghtrs

yeah she pretty much said don't play them in front of her in an argument the other day...i left planning on not going back and she begged me to come back.  so i don't know....i'm fed up...but that's just my girl problems.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

walterfredo

LBSUNFLWR

I think both people need to compromise. My bf and I both love MMJ so that's never an issue...but there's plenty of other bands I love that he probably never would have gone to see if not for me and vice versa.
But I go along with him and enjoy the show and he does the same for me! You won't find me listening to Widespread Panic too often on my own, but I just spent a weekend in Nashville seeing them for 2 nights and it was pretty damn fantastic. And he will probably never listen to Josh Ritter or Gregory Alan Isakov but he really enjoyed their shows.

for us, I guess we still both have somewhat similar taste and both love live music so much that it's never going to be a struggle to go along for a show.

He does play plenty of music in the car that I don't like and I go along with it. For your gf to say NEVER play a band you love so much in front of her..that's kind of difficult. Good luck, hope things work out for the best.

johnnYYac

Quote from: walterfredo on Sep 08, 2015, 11:11 AM
JY, thought your wife was at OBH 2 as well??
Oh yeah.  True dat.  That trip became a whole lot less about MMJ, so I kinda forgot about it.

johnnYYac

I will say that, at times, my love for My Morning Jacket got extreme.  I spent a lot of time and money on the band, touring, the Forum, etc.  If you go too far in terms of time and money spent on anything, at the expense of time with family, you're gonna cause serious problems.  I learned to reel it in quite a bit.  Her extreme reaction (no MMJ ever) may have been in response to your extreme obsession (all MMJ all the time).  Balance is key, especially since she isn't into them like you are.