SoCal travel tips

Started by oistheone, Jul 01, 2016, 08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

I'm going to have a few days to bum around the Southern California area before Desert Trip in October. Know some of y'all are from the area so looking for any suggestions on how to spend my time!

Would love to get up to San Fran, but time and budgetary constraints will limit us to LA and anywhere within an hour or two in any direction. We're flying into LA and then eyeing down some nice-looking Air BNBs in Malibu, just to spend a day or two chillin' on Zuma+El Matador beach and in the mountains. Then maybe heading to San Diego for a night before going to Palm Springs for the fest.

Is this an okay itinerary or am I better served doin' something else? Any tips on places to see, things to do, places to eat would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

WastedLittleWeeza

Pretty great itinerary if you're looking to stay as close to the shore as possible. Where are you coming from? Do you have a budget for food?

Definitely go to In-N-Out burger. In San Diego there's a landmark Mexican restaurant called Cafe Coyote.  You can watch your tortillas being made. It's not the best food ever but pretty solid along with margaritas. If that's busy try Old Town Mexicsn it's close by.

rincon2

San Diego is GREAT, but the drive from Malibu to SD can be up to 4 hours or more.It is only about 140 miles. It is REALLY bad outside of night driving. I strongly advise Santa Barbara. 90 minutes from mid Malibu, and the most beautiful city I have ever seen in the US. Beaches are better in SD though.

brob

Both San Diego and Santa Barbara are awesome but I would probably save myself alot of driving and go to Joshua Tree which is on the way to Desert Trip.  If you do go to Joshua Tree...Pappy and Harriet's is a must for lunch/dinner or a concert before Desert Trip.  I have seen Brian Fallon, The War on Drugs, and Lord Huron there.

Shug

Joshua Tree in October is a GREAT idea, I agree.  If you are a Gram Parsons fan, a pilgrimage to Cap Rock in the park and a visit or stay at the Joshua Tree Inn is pretty cool.  Camping in the park is another option, or going on a night hike, or watching the sun rise from some remote spot up on a hill or rock is another cool.  Getting enhanced, listening to some Cosmic American music and some Exile-era Stones and even the first Eagles album while in Joshua Tree in the middle of the night or at dawn is an excellent thing to do, for me.  There are some really funky and arty cabins and places to stay all around the Joshua Tree area, but also some really ugly places in the nearby towns, so you have to do some research, but its a haven for eccentric artists who want to live out in the desert so you want to avoid the towns and get out into the country when you are there.  Pappy and Harriet's in Pioneertown is rad, I agree.

Its damn near impossible to find unspoiled coastline in So Cal unless you are super rich and have access to a private beach estate, but Malibu sounds cools.  In San Diego, you might like Encinitas and Leucadia but doing too much driving in So Cal is not fun at all like rincon said, so its best to find a good spot, get there and stay there for a day or two and try to not get in the car too much.  Encinitas would be good for that.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Shug

If you are a craft brew guy, San Diego is just overrun with high quality craft brewing everywhere you turn.  I'm more into cocktails and SD is not as happening for that as LA is, but if you like beer, SD is heaven these days.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

walterfredo

yeah, if you want some brewery advice, let me know, I can definitely help you with that for SoCal

paddlingout0

Quote from: oistheone on Jul 01, 2016, 08:07 PM
I'm going to have a few days to bum around the Southern California area before Desert Trip in October. Know some of y'all are from the area so looking for any suggestions on how to spend my time!

Would love to get up to San Fran, but time and budgetary constraints will limit us to LA and anywhere within an hour or two in any direction. We're flying into LA and then eyeing down some nice-looking Air BNBs in Malibu, just to spend a day or two chillin' on Zuma+El Matador beach and in the mountains. Then maybe heading to San Diego for a night before going to Palm Springs for the fest.

Is this an okay itinerary or am I better served doin' something else? Any tips on places to see, things to do, places to eat would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
In San Diego make sure to watch a show at the Belly Up Solana beach. Great venue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk