Red Rocks 5/28-29/2016

Started by parkervb, Dec 14, 2015, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardedwonder

Although not a ski town, my personal favorite is boulder. its like a cleaner, hippy version of new orleans! easy access to rocky mtn national park and only 45 min north of denver.

[/quote]

Im coming in early from MA. Going to rent a place in Boulder for 3 nights. Never been. Cant wait. Hopefully head into Rockies/Estes for at least 2 day trips.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

jcc0065

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jan 02, 2016, 11:30 PM

Although not a ski town, my personal favorite is boulder. its like a cleaner, hippy version of new orleans! easy access to rocky mtn national park and only 45 min north of denver.

Im coming in early from MA. Going to rent a place in Boulder for 3 nights. Never been. Cant wait. Hopefully head into Rockies/Estes for at least 2 day trips.
[/quote]

youre gonna love it. if you get a chance, i highly recommend driving along "Sunshine Canyon Drive"....just heavenly

Crispy

Quote from: Bulldog on Jan 02, 2016, 11:15 PM
Soooo for those of us who have not been to CO before and are thinking of taking a couple days after to explore the area, any ideas?

Were thinking of heading to Steamboat or somewhere "up in the mountains" for a couple days, maybe do the white water rafting thing or something.

More than receptive to any insight any locals may have. Staying in Evergreen for the shows and the day after.

You might check out Salida for a good river trip and not-ski-area type place, an easy jaunt down 285 from Evergreen. It's a very cool little town on the Arkansas River.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

beardedwonder

Quote from: jcc0065 on Jan 02, 2016, 11:33 PM

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jan 02, 2016, 11:30 PM

youre gonna love it. if you get a chance, i highly recommend driving along "Sunshine Canyon Drive"....just heavenly
[/quote]

Oh ya. That's def in the plan. I've also heard good thinks about Salida.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

Bulldog

Thank you all for the advice, MUCH appreciated looking forward to it and the shows !!

APR

The weather is very unpredictable and a lot of the rivers depend on snow melt so later in the summer is better for many rivers.  I'm hoping a mountain is still open for skiing...... Arapahoe Basis, which isn't too far from RR, stays open into July if there is enough show.  Skiing followed by MMJ show would be a dream day for me.

RobRoy286

Quote from: Soulshine on Dec 29, 2015, 10:22 AM
Quote from: talltyson on Dec 28, 2015, 09:05 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on Dec 25, 2015, 06:58 PM
Red Rocks first timer here. I got a GA for night 2, but saw that night 1 GA was sold out. Assuming it won't be hard to find a ticket on stubhub or whatever, even if I have to pay a little extra?

Also, how easy will it be to get close? As in, first 30ish rows.

GA is row 1-24 and 61-69.  You need to be at venue when gates open to get rows 1-24.  If you really want good, like center, rows 1-15 seats you need to get in line before doors open.  For getting secondary tickets, i would wait till week of show.  With two shows, i'm guessing there are going to be some tickets floating around.  And you may even find some at list on this board.

Agreed. Please dont buy tickets off stubhub, esp for a little extra. I would wait to see what you can find as it gets closer, esp here. I know its nerve-wracking to wait until day of show, but I'm sure there will be some in the lot as well. If I still have an extra I will sell it to you face + fees.
Wow - thanks to you and everyone else. Officially ISO 2 GA's for Night 1 :)

Jbpats

Starting to consider Red Rocks.
Couple of questions for those who have been before (i'd be coming from Boston).

Is there anywhere to camp nearby? Would that be a crazy idea? Not sure if it would still be too cold in May.
And if it is too cold, is there still skiing that late in the season? Obviously its dependent on snow, but I guess is it typical for late May/Early June?

talltyson

Quote from: Jbpats on Jan 13, 2016, 10:41 AM
Starting to consider Red Rocks.
Couple of questions for those who have been before (i'd be coming from Boston).

Is there anywhere to camp nearby? Would that be a crazy idea? Not sure if it would still be too cold in May.
And if it is too cold, is there still skiing that late in the season? Obviously its dependent on snow, but I guess is it typical for late May/Early June?

It can snow in May, seen it snow as late as graduation weekend (typically the weekend before Memorial day).  It has snowed at least 2 mothers day weekends in my 8 years, i live in se Denver, far from the foothills which is colder and sees more snow, which is where Red Rocks is and your camping options.  Its hard to say.  I would say 50% chance of freezing weather at night.  Then again, i could be perfect 50 degrees at night, but count on at least lower 40 degrees at night, at least.  It would be hard for me to count on camping as an option unless you are "tuff".  I'll let someone else talk about camping options, there are some fairly close, but you will be driving to venue for sure, nothing that close.  A-Basin is probably your best bet for skiing in May, they can stay open till the 4th of July depending on snow.

talltyson

per email i got today, Fruit Bats are opening on Saturday, Barr Brothers on Sunday.  Anyone know about these bands?

bschulze1726

The Barr Brothers = Good Stuff

talltyson

Quote from: Crispy on Jan 03, 2016, 01:06 AM
Quote from: Bulldog on Jan 02, 2016, 11:15 PM
Soooo for those of us who have not been to CO before and are thinking of taking a couple days after to explore the area, any ideas?

Were thinking of heading to Steamboat or somewhere "up in the mountains" for a couple days, maybe do the white water rafting thing or something.

More than receptive to any insight any locals may have. Staying in Evergreen for the shows and the day after.

You might check out Salida for a good river trip and not-ski-area type place, an easy jaunt down 285 from Evergreen. It's a very cool little town on the Arkansas River.

Salida is a cool town, go to the brew fest every year in July.  The river will not be in prime season for rafting in May.  And Monarch will be closed for skiing in april, which is only 30 miles away.  I would avoid mountain towns during this time period, not a whole lot going on, good rates but kind of boring.  Its a transition period, no snow and too cold and wet to do anything else. 

Soulshine

Quote from: johnnYYac on Dec 31, 2015, 06:09 PM
Quote from: ericm on Dec 30, 2015, 04:13 PM
Quote from: Soulshine on Dec 30, 2015, 09:46 AM

I don't do F book,

Ahh a kindred spirit.  :cool:

Hey, Soulshine!  You, Eric, and Walter. 

I'm bummed so many great old timers from the Forum gave up on this place for Facebook (or less online time, which is a good thing).  I think folks like having one social media site for all their interests.  Others didn't like when new members showed up.  Of course, the Forum occasionally gets stupid with in-fighting and insults, unlike Facebook...    :tongue:

johnnYYac!!!!! Less online time.... Even when I'm not around I'm always thinking about all of you! I will be bringing plenty of water for Red Rocks!  :thumbsup: Cant wait to see you again!  xoxoxo
Because we're all in this together...

ALady

Quote from: talltyson on Jan 18, 2016, 06:57 PM
per email i got today, Fruit Bats are opening on Saturday, Barr Brothers on Sunday.  Anyone know about these bands?

Fruit Bats opened the SF run. They were pretty good (shout out to Keyboard Dad!) but I'm not all that stoked to see them again.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

bluesky

Quote from: Soulshine on Jan 19, 2016, 06:22 PM

I don't do F book,

I'm bummed so many great old timers from the Forum gave up on this place for Facebook (or less online time, which is a good thing).  I think folks like having one social media site for all their interests.  Others didn't like when new members showed up.  Of course, the Forum occasionally gets stupid with in-fighting and insults, unlike Facebook...    :tongue:

johnnYYac!!!!! Less online time.... Even when I'm not around I'm always thinking about all of you! I will be bringing plenty of water for Red Rocks!  :thumbsup: Cant wait to see you again!  xoxoxo

I just deleted my Facebook, at least for a month. The fan page is full of newbies who wold do well to read the catalog that is this forum. And a private group that I am a member of is now full of people I do not know. FB moves much faster and I don't think people speak as freely (maybe they only do to like minds) I always felt the forum allowed me to get to know so many other fans based on their thoughts, ideas, knowledge, obsession and excitement.

Soulshine, I don't think RR is in the cards for me this spring. There is gonna be too much going on at work then. Will miss being there and seeing your smiling face!

Soulshine

Quote from: bluesky on Jan 20, 2016, 08:56 AM
Quote from: Soulshine on Jan 19, 2016, 06:22 PM

I don't do F book,

I just deleted my Facebook, at least for a month. The fan page is full of newbies who wold do well to read the catalog that is this forum. And a private group that I am a member of is now full of people I do not know. FB moves much faster and I don't think people speak as freely (maybe they only do to like minds) I always felt the forum allowed me to get to know so many other fans based on their thoughts, ideas, knowledge, obsession and excitement.

Soulshine, I don't think RR is in the cards for me this spring. There is gonna be too much going on at work then. Will miss being there and seeing your smiling face!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I will miss you Valerie! I will be hoping something changes!  :cry:

I read every thread on the forum before I ever joined. I totally agree with this:  I always felt the forum allowed me to get to know so many other fans based on their thoughts, ideas, knowledge, obsession and excitement.
Because we're all in this together...

Crispy

Quote from: Soulshine on Jan 21, 2016, 05:27 PM
I read every thread on the forum before I ever joined. I totally agree with this:  I always felt the forum allowed me to get to know so many other fans based on their thoughts, ideas, knowledge, obsession and excitement.

Oh shit, you read all of that embarrassing stuff I wrote before you joined and so I started holding back when I knew you were reading it? Terrible!  :wink:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jbpats

Thought I saw somebody mentioned they got a shuttle for the shows but can't seem to find the post, maybe I dreamt it.

Do people typically drive to RR? Coming from Mass I can't see anybody willing to play DD for a MMJ Red Rocks show in my group.
It'd be sweet if we got a party bus filled with MMJ fans. That kind of thing come together around here often?

Derek713

Quote from: Jbpats on Jan 22, 2016, 12:02 PM
Thought I saw somebody mentioned they got a shuttle for the shows but can't seem to find the post, maybe I dreamt it.

Do people typically drive to RR? Coming from Mass I can't see anybody willing to play DD for a MMJ Red Rocks show in my group.
It'd be sweet if we got a party bus filled with MMJ fans. That kind of thing come together around here often?

This one has been recommended by a few......  http://bustoshow.org/

DayDrinkin

Here's another one:

http://www.cidentertainment.com/events/cid-colorado-shuttles-to-red-rocks/

There's still a thread here somewhere by mentos who I believe is still in the process of organizing.