Red Rocks 5/28-29/2016

Started by parkervb, Dec 14, 2015, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardedwonder

Night 1. Got to venue at 5:45 pm. Waited out the hail. Decided to hike up to venue instead of taking VIP bus. Hiked up the far right thru a security check point. Just told them we were VIP. Didn't know where to go for early access just assumed we were in right spot. We were 4th & 5th in some random line and I could see the stage. Walked in (didn't run) and got 2nd row dead center. No questions asked. Wow.

Night 2. Assumed/hopefull we could do the same routine. Showed up at 5:30pm. Walked up big hill and got to the front of the gate. Unfortunately, this time the guard then proceeded to guide us to the actual roll call line which we had to do the super long walk of shame thru and go to the bottom of the ramp. Haha. Bummer. But, we ended up sitting in our roped off VIP seats. Probably 10-12 rows up just right of soundboard. Not as good a view/feel as night 1 but sound was better.

Overall, I'm super pumped my friend and I spent our afternoons hiking/eating in Boulder rather in roll call line and still had stellar seats both nights. And the VIP poster is awesome too. 

What a bad ass experience with y'all and the best band of the last decade and today!
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

tippitoes22

Quote from: walterfredo on May 30, 2016, 03:49 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 30, 2016, 03:23 PM
Had they covered Easy and/or Peaceful Easy Feeling before last night??

Not to my knowledge. Or knocking on heavens door from N1.

MMJ
"Easy" Bears place Fayetteville, AR 1/23/02
"Peaceful Easy Feeling" Theater Romein (Netherlands) 4/6/00
"Knockin on Heavens door" OBH I (Mexico, Playa Riviera) 1/26/14

Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

Lonndown27

Quote from: tippitoes22 on May 30, 2016, 08:18 PM

MMJ

hahahahha tippitoes kicks all our asses!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

rkwedge

Sitting in the Denver Airport getting ready to head back to reality.
What a magical weekend of MMJ. I'm not going to tell you how great these shows were because I know you all already know. All I have to offer is Saturday night was Carl night and Sunday night was Jim night and they were both spectacular  :thumbsup:
Love Red Rocks
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

tippitoes22

"Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is the best..."

-F. Zappa (Joe's Garage)  :thumbsup:

Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

Varitek

Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 30, 2016, 08:31 PM

MMJ

Knockin' On Heaven's Door 2013-08-04 Shoreline Amph-Mtn. View, CA
"Did he just put on a cape?"

Lonndown27

Quote from: Varitek on May 30, 2016, 09:06 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on May 30, 2016, 08:31 PM

MMJ

Knockin' On Heaven's Door 2013-08-04 Shoreline Amph-Mtn. View, CA

AHHHHHH TO THE FIFTH POWER!!!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

GO4IT

Back home now and thinking about what to say about these shows.  Maybe the first thing is I'm pretty sure I never saw a better 2-show set by this band but I've missed a lot; and I've seen a lot.
The set lists on both nights were awesome, only one or two each night I could have taken a pass on and many great tunes.  I thought last night was extra special.  They made every song sound incredible (including Easy :rolleyes:).  Jim and the band seemed to be at a level above the amazing place they usually are.  Lots of explorations and Jim showing off his lead guitar skills more so than usual.  Last night was one of their best shows ever, IMHO.

walterfredo

I did find it a little odd that JJ never made mention of J Quaid either night (or did I miss it?)

GO4IT

Quote from: walterfredo on May 30, 2016, 11:16 PM
I did find it a little odd that JJ never made mention of J Quaid either night (or did I miss it?)
I didn't hear any mention of him either although I figured it out pretty quickly the way he was acting - not exactly like a guest.

Maybe everyone else has figured this out already but I wonder if the re-issue of It Still Moves this weekend, where Johnny, of course, is the guitarist, had anything to do with him showing up at RRs.

manonthemoon

Quote from: GO4IT on May 30, 2016, 10:56 PM
Back home now and thinking about what to say about these shows.  Maybe the first thing is I'm pretty sure I never saw a better 2-show set by this band but I've missed a lot; and I've seen a lot.
The set lists on both nights were awesome, only one or two each night I could have taken a pass on and many great tunes.  I thought last night was extra special.  They made every song sound incredible (including Easy :rolleyes:).  Jim and the band seemed to be at a level above the amazing place they usually are.  Lots of explorations and Jim showing off his lead guitar skills more so than usual.  Last night was one of their best shows ever, IMHO.

Amen, and throwing Quaid in the mix on a bunch of songs was really awesome.  For me the War-IWSYS-Bear might have been my favorite stretch ever for the band and then the PWW-Dance-OBH was incredible as well.  I went into night 2 saying I wasn't sure how they could top the first night, but they did that and then some IMO.
Alive or Just Breathing

GO4IT

Here is my video of the opening tune on night two last night - Compound Fracture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ7371k9als

ruralt

Carl should pick up the Tele more often.

Mr. White

Here's my video of Dondante. The sound isn't all that great during the loudest parts, but the video is pretty wild.

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

CC

MMJ

the other way around ;)

Easy
2000-04-14 Burgerweeshuis - Deventer, The Netherlands   
2000-04-16 Theater Romein - Leeuwarden, The Netherlands   
2001-06-09 All Ears Record Store - Bloomington, IN   

Peaceful Easy Feeling
2002-01-23 Bear's Place - Bloomington, IN   

Knockin on Heaven's Door
2013-08-04 AmericanaramA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA
2014-01-26 Hard Rock Hotel - Riviera Maya, Mexico   

parkervb

Sunday Roll Call Line...in front of me, behind me and the line after it wrapped around the corner. Nutso.
Don't you ever turn it off

Mr. White

Here's my video of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door".

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

dontgetupset

Clarkwork

Quote from: beardedwonder on May 30, 2016, 05:08 PM
Night 1. Got to venue at 5:45 pm. Waited out the hail. Decided to hike up to venue instead of taking VIP bus. Hiked up the far right thru a security check point. Just told them we were VIP. Didn't know where to go for early access just assumed we were in right spot. We were 4th & 5th in some random line and I could see the stage. Walked in (didn't run) and got 2nd row dead center. No questions asked. Wow.

Night 2. Assumed/hopefull we could do the same routine. Showed up at 5:30pm. Walked up big hill and got to the front of the gate. Unfortunately, this time the guard then proceeded to guide us to the actual roll call line which we had to do the super long walk of shame thru and go to the bottom of the ramp. Haha. Bummer. But, we ended up sitting in our roped off VIP seats. Probably 10-12 rows up just right of soundboard. Not as good a view/feel as night 1 but sound was better.

Overall, I'm super pumped my friend and I spent our afternoons hiking/eating in Boulder rather in roll call line and still had stellar seats both nights. And the VIP poster is awesome too. 

What a bad ass experience with y'all and the best band of the last decade and today!

Yeah you can thank us in the roll call line that got the shaft the first night for fixing it on night two.  We told band management and they assured us no other entries for night 2.  Don't blame you for doing it, but it screwed a lot of people who waited there all day.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Come Closer

That was a fun weekend. I went solo, but still had a great time. Sat 10th row Jim side on Saturday and 6th row Carl side Sunday. Ended up right next to Patrick's brother on Sunday. Really nice guy. He turned to me after one of the songs and said, "I've never seen them do anything like that before." It was pretty early on, maybe after Spring or It Beats. I felt it too, there was just something extra going on. It was evident from the get go.