Red Rocks 5/28-29/2016

Started by parkervb, Dec 14, 2015, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DayDrinkin

Quote from: Osistheones on May 31, 2016, 11:15 AM
That was a fun weekend. I went solo, but still had a great time. Sat 10th row Jim side on Saturday and 6th row Carl side Sunday. Ended up right next to Patrick's brother on Sunday. Really nice guy. He turned to me after one of the songs and said, "I've never seen them do anything like that before." It was pretty early on, maybe after Spring or It Beats. I felt it too, there was just something extra going on. It was evident from the get go.

I spent a lot of time focusing on Patrick Sunday night. My God, he is amazing. The energy he puts out is unreal. He was so fired up about how great the crowd sang after one of the songs (maybe Easy).

walterfredo

Quote from: Osistheones on May 31, 2016, 11:15 AM
That was a fun weekend. I went solo, but still had a great time. Sat 10th row Jim side on Saturday and 6th row Carl side Sunday. Ended up right next to Patrick's brother on Sunday. Really nice guy. He turned to me after one of the songs and said, "I've never seen them do anything like that before." It was pretty early on, maybe after Spring or It Beats. I felt it too, there was just something extra going on. It was evident from the get go.

My wife, who has been to about 20-25 MMJ shows, was pretty much saying the same thing after we were driving back from the sunday show and also on our flight home yesterday, she kept saying "they always kill it, but this weekend was just something more, something different and incredible".  I can't remember her exact words but she was asking me if I noticed the difference too.  Quite impressive weekend of music!

BigHerm

Quote from: Clarkwork on May 31, 2016, 11:12 AM
Quote from: beardedwonder on May 30, 2016, 05:08 PM
Night 1. Got to venue at 5:45 pm. Waited out the hail. Decided to hike up to venue instead of taking VIP bus. Hiked up the far right thru a security check point. Just told them we were VIP. Didn't know where to go for early access just assumed we were in right spot. We were 4th & 5th in some random line and I could see the stage. Walked in (didn't run) and got 2nd row dead center. No questions asked. Wow.

Night 2. Assumed/hopefull we could do the same routine. Showed up at 5:30pm. Walked up big hill and got to the front of the gate. Unfortunately, this time the guard then proceeded to guide us to the actual roll call line which we had to do the super long walk of shame thru and go to the bottom of the ramp. Haha. Bummer. But, we ended up sitting in our roped off VIP seats. Probably 10-12 rows up just right of soundboard. Not as good a view/feel as night 1 but sound was better.

Overall, I'm super pumped my friend and I spent our afternoons hiking/eating in Boulder rather in roll call line and still had stellar seats both nights. And the VIP poster is awesome too. 

What a bad ass experience with y'all and the best band of the last decade and today!

Yeah you can thank us in the roll call line that got the shaft the first night for fixing it on night two.  We told band management and they assured us no other entries for night 2.  Don't blame you for doing it, but it screwed a lot of people who waited there all day.
Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vadermaul

This was my 15th or 16th Jacket show (need to do a recount).  My first show was in 2002 when they opened for the Doves so I've seen this thing grow. 

This was my 2nd favorite Jacket show(s).  Number one being the 2012 Red Rock shows.  But this weekend was nothing short of amazement.  Both nights were epic and I was lucky enough to be front row for the 2nd night. 

Seeing 'Easy Morning Rebel' & 'Dancefloors' up close was a life time achievement.  Especially with Johnny Quad.  My first headline Jacket show opened up w/ 'Easy Morning Rebel' & I remember Jim James barefoot in all almost hit me in the front row with his guitar.

Its just crazy that I've followed this band since I was 24 years old and now I'm 38 with 2 boys of my own.  Its getting harder to get to these show as a family man now but its always worth it.  And I want to thank MMJ for giving me (and the fans) these epic experiences.

Highlights:

-Meeting so many cool Jacket fans
-That damn hike!!
-It Still Moves covering both nights
-Pictures of You (cried)
-O Is Real
-The Bear
-Dondante
-Johnny Quad ( I think MMJ should consider going w/ 3 guitars now)
-And just the experience of Jacket/Red Rocks.  Those 2 go together like Peanut Butter & Jelly!

I know I kind of babbled but this weekend felt like full circle from then till now for me.   

e-stone

Quote from: vadermaul on May 31, 2016, 12:46 PM
This was my 15th or 16th Jacket show (need to do a recount).  My first show was in 2002 when they opened for the Beth Orton so I've seen this thing grow. 

Its just crazy that I've followed this band since I was 28 years old and now I'm 42 with 2 boys of my own.  Its getting harder to get to these show as a family man now but its always worth it.  And I want to thank MMJ for giving me (and the fans) these epic experiences.

dude - this is pretty much exactly me with the slight differences above!  :beer:

i need to let it all sink in more.  at this point night one was better than night two, but that Dondante was the single biggest highlight of the entire run for me. 

the only bummer was early entry.   it's somehow gotten worse every year.

e-stone

Quote from: CC Baxter on May 31, 2016, 04:28 AM
Quote from: tippitoes22 on May 30, 2016, 08:18 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on May 30, 2016, 03:49 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 30, 2016, 03:23 PM
Had they covered Easy and/or Peaceful Easy Feeling before last night??

Not to my knowledge. Or knocking on heavens door from N1.

MMJ
"Easy" Bears place Fayetteville, AR 1/23/02
"Peaceful Easy Feeling" Theater Romein (Netherlands) 4/6/00
"Knockin on Heavens door" OBH I (Mexico, Playa Riviera) 1/26/14

the other way around ;)

Easy
2000-04-14 Burgerweeshuis - Deventer, The Netherlands   
2000-04-16 Theater Romein - Leeuwarden, The Netherlands   
2001-06-09 All Ears Record Store - Bloomington, IN   

Peaceful Easy Feeling
2002-01-23 Bear's Place - Bloomington, IN   

Knockin on Heaven's Door
2013-08-04 AmericanaramA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA
2014-01-26 Hard Rock Hotel - Riviera Maya, Mexico   

First ever "Take Me With U"?

midwesterner

This was my 15th or 16th Jacket show (need to do a recount).  My first show was in 2002 when they opened for the Doves so I've seen this thing grow. 

This was my 2nd favorite Jacket show(s).  Number one being the 2012 Red Rock shows.  But this weekend was nothing short of amazement.  Both nights were epic and I was lucky enough to be front row for the 2nd night. 

Seeing 'Easy Morning Rebel' & 'Dancefloors' up close was a life time achievement.  Especially with Johnny Quad.  My first headline Jacket show opened up w/ 'Easy Morning Rebel' & I remember Jim James barefoot in all almost hit me in the front row with his guitar.

Its just crazy that I've followed this band since I was 24 years old and now I'm 38 with 2 boys of my own.  Its getting harder to get to these show as a family man now but its always worth it.  And I want to thank MMJ for giving me (and the fans) these epic experiences.

Highlights:

-That damn hike!!
-Pictures of You (cried)
-O Is Real
-The Bear
-Dondante
-And just the experience of Jacket/Red Rocks.  Those 2 go together like Peanut Butter & Jelly!

I know I kind of babbled but this weekend felt like full circle from then till now for me.   

You and I seem to be living similar lives. That tour with Doves was my first MMJ show. I am now 36. These marked 29 and 30 for me and I now have 1 child. And I still prefer the 2012 RR shows to this weekend. But agree this weekend was great.

Lonndown27

hotdamn! love the stories / tales from the RR, KEEP EM COMIN! Johnny! We need to hear from you!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

vadermaul

[/quote]
You and I seem to be living similar lives. That tour with Doves was my first MMJ show. I am now 36. These marked 29 and 30 for me and I now have 1 child. And I still prefer the 2012 RR shows to this weekend. But agree this weekend was great.
[/quote]

Thats awesome.  This trip was hard for my oldest.  He is 5 now and misses his Dad (Me) when I go out.  Especially a long weekend!!  Walking down the hill Sunday night I grabbed a 'rock' from the ground to give to him.  Told him yesterday I got this from Red Rocks and I look forward to taking him there one day.  Going to see MMJ at Red Rocks is like going to Disney World!!  Great attraction at a beautiful place.

That Friday night show in 2012 felt like a private show for the fans.  It wasn't even sold out and the wind was blowing like crazy.  Magical experience!

MrB

First Red Rocks show :thumbsup:
The Just One Thing>Wonderful>Golden Trio into State of the Art are some of the finest sounds you may ever hear IMO!

rolliefingers

state of the art jam was life changing

the sound on sunday night was terrible up top......right around "Spring" we had to call an audible and move further down to the middle......was almost painful to listen to up until that point......its funny how the sound guy can so greatly influence your opinion of a band

jcc0065

Highlights:

-That damn hike!!
-Pictures of You (cried)
-O Is Real
-The Bear
-Dondante

I love this! Dont forget the hail the first night!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbpats

Just got back from my first ever Red Rocks experience and it was nothing short of incredible.
The venue surpasses all expectations, just something magical about it as I knew it would be.
Met a lot of cool people all with an extreme passion for MMJ.

The shows as others have mentioned were phenomenal. Loved both nights but night 1 in particular was nothing short of amazing.
Victory Dance - set the tone of the night early
AEIOU - probably my #1 song of the run
Steam Engine - always special
Pictures of You - stunning, chilling, simply beautiful.
Strangulation! - Haunting, poetic, mesmerizing. I definitely felt a lot of things during it.
Smoking From Shooting- top 3 favorites from the weekend
Full Run Thru - thought the rocks were going to cave in. Super intense perfectly executed.
Encore of Touch me parts 1&2 and cobra an awesome Dance Party just didn't want the night to end.

Easily the best MMJ show I've seen or heard a recording for. Really feel blessed for having the opportunity to have witnessed it and make it my first ever Red Rocks show.

Side notes, didn't like the Fruit Bats at all, Barr Brothers were phenomenal. I wanted Floyd and they delivered.. I will never forget hearing Shine on you crazy Diamond at Red Rocks, I knew it was that tune at the very first note. To me that song alone set the tone of Sunday night (from the opener no less).

Night 2 was a bit different for me. I thought it was still an amazing performance but felt that it was more of a standard MMJ show.

Highlights were definitely:
War>IWSYS - #2 favorite song(s) of the run
O is the one- not a huge fan of this song normally but they killed it.
PWW- I was waiting for it and when it finally came it was perfect.
Dondante- I mean Friggen Dondante at RR, need I say more?

Night 2 did have more "low lights" for me personally, most of which being:
Compound/Throwback - just not a fan of these songs whatsoever
Easy cover- super corny (I know I'm going to get ridiculed for that comment), I felt like it was never going to end.

The rest of the show was very good although lacked the wow factor that night 1 had for me.. Odd also since night 1 was a clear Carl night and night 2 a clear Jim night.. I'm usually a much bigger fan when Jim brings his A game.

TOOGANS

Quote from: rolliefingers on May 31, 2016, 03:37 PM
state of the art jam was life changing

the sound on sunday night was terrible up top......right around "Spring" we had to call an audible and move further down to the middle......was almost painful to listen to up until that point......its funny how the sound guy can so greatly influence your opinion of a band
[/quote
Even more funny when a audience member sits in the nosebleed willingly and complains about the sound.  Its a beautiful venue but it doesn't come without its challenges.   :thumbsup:

walterfredo

I never even looked at the merch booth, was there a show-specific shirt, or any other show-specific merch besides the poster?

rkwedge

Quote from: walterfredo on May 31, 2016, 06:30 PM
I never even looked at the merch booth, was there a show-specific shirt, or any other show-specific merch besides the poster?
They had a show specific shirt of the Reno Print from the VIP poster
It's the art of feelin' naked in your clothes

beardedwonder

Quote from: Clarkwork on May 31, 2016, 11:12 AM
Quote from: beardedwonder on May 30, 2016, 05:08 PM
Night 1. Got to venue at 5:45 pm. Waited out the hail. Decided to hike up to venue instead of taking VIP bus. Hiked up the far right thru a security check point. Just told them we were VIP. Didn't know where to go for early access just assumed we were in right spot. We were 4th & 5th in some random line and I could see the stage. Walked in (didn't run) and got 2nd row dead center. No questions asked. Wow.

Night 2. Assumed/hopefull we could do the same routine. Showed up at 5:30pm. Walked up big hill and got to the front of the gate. Unfortunately, this time the guard then proceeded to guide us to the actual roll call line which we had to do the super long walk of shame thru and go to the bottom of the ramp. Haha. Bummer. But, we ended up sitting in our roped off VIP seats. Probably 10-12 rows up just right of soundboard. Not as good a view/feel as night 1 but sound was better.

Overall, I'm super pumped my friend and I spent our afternoons hiking/eating in Boulder rather in roll call line and still had stellar seats both nights. And the VIP poster is awesome too. 

What a bad ass experience with y'all and the best band of the last decade and today!

Yeah you can thank us in the roll call line that got the shaft the first night for fixing it on night two.  We told band management and they assured us no other entries for night 2.  Don't blame you for doing it, but it screwed a lot of people who waited there all day.

Totally. Kudos for y'all for righting the ship.
I would guess here were less than 12 people in the "VIP" line on night 1 so not too many got the screws. What a weekend!
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

CC

Quote from: e-stone on May 31, 2016, 01:21 PM
Quote from: CC Baxter on May 31, 2016, 04:28 AM
Quote from: tippitoes22 on May 30, 2016, 08:18 PM
Quote from: walterfredo on May 30, 2016, 03:49 PM
Quote from: RobRoy286 on May 30, 2016, 03:23 PM
Had they covered Easy and/or Peaceful Easy Feeling before last night??

Not to my knowledge. Or knocking on heavens door from N1.

MMJ
"Easy" Bears place Fayetteville, AR 1/23/02
"Peaceful Easy Feeling" Theater Romein (Netherlands) 4/6/00
"Knockin on Heavens door" OBH I (Mexico, Playa Riviera) 1/26/14

the other way around ;)

Easy
2000-04-14 Burgerweeshuis - Deventer, The Netherlands   
2000-04-16 Theater Romein - Leeuwarden, The Netherlands   
2001-06-09 All Ears Record Store - Bloomington, IN   

Peaceful Easy Feeling
2002-01-23 Bear's Place - Bloomington, IN   

Knockin on Heaven's Door
2013-08-04 AmericanaramA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA
2014-01-26 Hard Rock Hotel - Riviera Maya, Mexico   

First ever "Take Me With U"?

yes that was a first

parkervb

Quote from: walterfredo on May 31, 2016, 06:30 PM

there was a show shirt that was essentially the Reno VIP poster with venue/dates on it.
Don't you ever turn it off

Lonndown27

anybody hear from JohnnyYac??? I wonder how his RR adventure was  :cool:
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018