Red Rocks 5/28-29/2016

Started by parkervb, Dec 14, 2015, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericm

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 01, 2016, 01:27 PM
anybody hear from JohnnyYac??? I wonder how his RR adventure was  :cool:

Spent a lot of time with Yac and he sure had a great time. I'll leave it to him to recap his time but safe to say his RR trip was a hit!  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

sillyboob

Quote from: ericm on Jun 01, 2016, 01:30 PM

Spent a lot of time with Yac and he sure had a great time. I'll leave it to him to recap his time but safe to say his RR trip was a hit!  :beer:

Right on.  Never met the man, but knowing it was his first RR experience I'd love to get his take!!

Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

phreak

Quote from: rolliefingers on May 31, 2016, 03:37 PM
state of the art jam was life changing

the sound on sunday night was terrible up top......right around "Spring" we had to call an audible and move further down to the middle......was almost painful to listen to up until that point......its funny how the sound guy can so greatly influence your opinion of a band

Sound at Red Rocks beyond half of the venue is always hit or miss based on the wind.  The swirling wind makes the sound swirl so you only get perfect sound 1 in every 10 seconds or so.  Not the sound guys fault... just the elements that you have to deal with at RR.  Sunday wasn't too bad compared to other shows I've been to.

Absolutely amazing 2 night run!

BigHerm

Stevie

I felt that Saturday was a very strong night but i didn't feel that the songs on the set list flowed together very well.  It seemed to be a big collection of their more accessible hits with those two mega rarities thrown in.  A very strong showing with some great moments, but to me not nearly as good as night 2.  I know some get a little impatient with the out of left field covers but when you have seen Jacket a billion times like I have you really welcome the change up..especially when Jim is owning a song like he did with Easy...  I thought the PWW was yet again their best live rendition of it to date (just as epic as NYC '15 but a little tighter with less filler during the jam), and the Dondante was just amazing and transcendent.  Overall, as some others have said, their execution just seemed to be on a whole new planet on night 2. 

After Louisville, I was so happy to be a part of that that I didn't feel like I needed to go to Red Rocks.. the vibe there was incredible.. but where that set of shows seemed to be about the feeling, Red Rocks was a display of the current state of their craft.  Maybe they are finally peaking.  If they can get better than that we all may explode in our seats at some point.

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

Stevie

dookie shoot bandit

subinai

patiently awaiting a mp4 link and a hoping that somebody recorded the saturday show  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Jbpats

Quote from: subinai on Jun 01, 2016, 05:04 PM
patiently awaiting a mp4 link and a hoping that somebody recorded the saturday show  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Both shows are up on archive.org. There is another thread on it in the tapers section

http://mymorningjacket.net/index.php/topic,20368.0.html

subinai

Quote from: Jbpats on Jun 01, 2016, 05:42 PM
Quote from: subinai on Jun 01, 2016, 05:04 PM

Both shows are up on archive.org. There is another thread on it in the tapers section

http://mymorningjacket.net/index.php/topic,20368.0.html

thanks - was referring to the HD video that was embedded a few posts above mine.

gardenparty

I'm the only one who cringes during Jims solo middle part of Dondante?   

Sometimes he goes too far off the reservation (this show was a great example).  I wish he would reign that part in a bit.  At the least try to play in the right key.  Just sounds sloppy.

the rest of the song was spot on.

Lonndown27

Quote from: sillyboob on Jun 01, 2016, 01:42 PM
Quote from: ericm on Jun 01, 2016, 01:30 PM

Right on.  Never met the man, but knowing it was his first RR experience I'd love to get his take!!

Hell yeah! Probably trying to pick the pieces of brain up, like everyone else who went to those shows! They are a well-souled machine!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

beardedwonder

Quote from: gardenparty on Jun 01, 2016, 05:47 PM

Sometimes he goes too far off the reservation (this show was a great example).  I wish he would reign that part in a bit.  At the least try to play in the right key.  Just sounds sloppy.

Well, the only thing it messes with is my air guitar. Lol.
I get your point but I for one would prefer to see more intentional noodling a la Jerry Garcia in the slow songs.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

JDUB

Quote from: gardenparty on Jun 01, 2016, 05:47 PM

I'm right there with you. I love the song but wish they'd play this one straight. For as long as they jam it, you could almost play the entire Circuital album.  Same opinion on the meandering Jim does at the end of Golden. He's been doing that a lot lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOWJO8185

I love every bit of what they've done with Dondante the last few years. The version from St Louis this year was awesome to me, I love the noodly little off-key solo.

APR

This is a random and possibly incorrect observation, but I thought the lighting crew stepped up their game night 2.  Dondante being extraordinary, he lights seemed to be next level awesome overall on night 2.  Any thoughts?

bschulze1726

i agree with you both gardenparty and Jdub

rmpotsy

Quote from: APR on Jun 01, 2016, 08:13 PM
This is a random and possibly incorrect observation, but I thought the lighting crew stepped up their game night 2.  Dondante being extraordinary, he lights seemed to be next level awesome overall on night 2.  Any thoughts?

Fucking best disco ball ever
out go the lights it begins

superfrodies

Just relistening to Night 2 and reliving it. What an incredible band. The whole encore was exceptional but Holding On to Black Metal was especially heavy and glorious. I just have a thing for that song though. I need to see them again ASAP.