Red Rocks 5/28-29/2016

Started by parkervb, Dec 14, 2015, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slappymoe

Quote from: JDUB on Jun 01, 2016, 08:02 PM
Quote from: gardenparty on Jun 01, 2016, 05:47 PM
I'm the only one who cringes during Jims solo middle part of Dondante?   

Sometimes he goes too far off the reservation (this show was a great example).  I wish he would reign that part in a bit.  At the least try to play in the right key.  Just sounds sloppy.

the rest of the song was spot on.
I'm right there with you. I love the song but wish they'd play this one straight. For as long as they jam it, you could almost play the entire Circuital album.  Same opinion on the meandering Jim does at the end of Golden. He's been doing that a lot lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll throw in the pointless nonsense he sometimes adds to the end of "lay low." those moments always cause me to look at the person next to me, shake my head, and say, "self-indulgence."

parkervb

Sometimes he goes too far off the reservation (this show was a great example).  I wish he would reign that part in a bit.  At the least try to play in the right key.  Just sounds sloppy.

i've been saying this for a couple of years. It really started for me with the 25 minute Cap Theater Dondante. Dondante is best in that 12-15 minute range IMO

My recollection of this (haven't listened again tbh) is that Carl was kinda stepping on Jim a bit with the sax.
Don't you ever turn it off

DayDrinkin

JaredoftheRocks

The very end of Mahgeetah...

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.

JaredoftheRocks

JaredoftheRocks

JaredoftheRocks

Lonndown27

I'm right there with you. I love the song but wish they'd play this one straight. For as long as they jam it, you could almost play the entire Circuital album.  Same opinion on the meandering Jim does at the end of Golden. He's been doing that a lot lately.

so off........play it straight? screw that....this band's about adventure...

I get what you're saying, I absolutely do, my dad's always been the same way, but that kind of narrow-minded live fascism lends you to missing out on great stuff. Hearing a sick jam, especially one with a groove, build over 20 minutes is one of the greatest things to ever hear. live Led Zeppelin especially. But, I know there's  a lotta people who even think Zeppelin is overrated in the live arena. 

I get it.....I do....but...if you wanna hear a 12 minute, succinct, radio friendly version of Dondante, put in your copy of Okonokos, I know you guys have three different ones (me included)  :happy:   :beer:
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Mr. White

Here's Night 2 - full show - from Pat Myers

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Lonndown27

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 02, 2016, 05:31 PM
Here's Night 2 - full show - from Pat Myers

this was amazingly done....incredible!!!! that Easy Morning Rebel is so THICK
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Stevie

Quote from: slappymoe on Jun 02, 2016, 06:45 AM

I'll throw in the pointless nonsense he sometimes adds to the end of "lay low." those moments always cause me to look at the person next to me, shake my head, and say, "self-indulgence."

Thats the only time in the set you think Jim is self-inuldging??  Hahaha, i mean he is pretty much having one big musical orgasm the entire show and isnt afraid to show you how much hes enjoying himself, to say the least..

As far as soloing, at times i feel he takes it a bit too far and loses it a little but without the risk you get no reward.  The way i see it is this...Jim is the conjurer who takes the rest of the band to these places that they could never dream of on their own, hes abandoning the structure and letting his subconscious take over (which for Jim appears to be a very strange and interesting place) but when he ventures out so far that he gets lost they are right there to snap him back to reality and they are very good  at doing that in a way that is subtle to most listeners. 

Okay but one gripe... i wish he wouldnt go metal hands on war begun.  Never understood or liked that  , especially after the solos he was doing previous to that on that song were so killer (smacking the strings and bossing out in general).

beardedwonder

[/quote]

Thats the only time in the set you think Jim is self-inuldging??  Hahaha, i mean he is pretty much having one big musical orgasm the entire show and isnt afraid to show you how much hes enjoying himself, to say the least..

[/quote]

Lol. Ya, at one point i saw Jim hold his axe straight up and down and just stroke. That happened. 
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

jcc0065

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 02, 2016, 05:19 PM

I get what you're saying, I absolutely do, my dad's always been the same way, but that kind of narrow-minded live fascism lends you to missing out on great stuff. Hearing a sick jam, especially one with a groove, build over 20 minutes is one of the greatest things to ever hear. live Led Zeppelin especially. But, I know there's  a lotta people who even think Zeppelin is overrated in the live arena. 

I get it.....I do....but...if you wanna hear a 12 minute, succinct, radio friendly version of Dondante, put in your copy of Okonokos, I know you guys have three different ones (me included)  :happy:   :beer:

Totally agree. This bands new found jammyness had only increased my love for them, and it is ultimately what they need to do to keep on getting bigger and bigger. Cant play the same exact songs the same exact ways over and over and over

jcc0065

Quote from: beardedwonder on Jun 01, 2016, 06:56 PM

Well, the only thing it messes with is my air guitar. Lol.
I get your point but I for one would prefer to see more intentional noodling a la Jerry Garcia in the slow songs.

Yes!

Lonndown27

if it's just noodling to noodle, I'M AGAINST THAT

BUT BUT BUT

MMJ usually build a mood with their jammyness and that builds into an orgasm musically!

I can't think of one jam, during a song, where it just ended in a limp noodling solo.

Quote from: Stevie on Jun 02, 2016, 07:06 PM
Quote from: slappymoe on Jun 02, 2016, 06:45 AM

As far as soloing, at times i feel he takes it a bit too far and loses it a little but without the risk you get no reward.  The way i see it is this...Jim is the conjurer who takes the rest of the band to these places that they could never dream of on their own, hes abandoning the structure and letting his subconscious take over (which for Jim appears to be a very strange and interesting place) but when he ventures out so far that he gets lost they are right there to snap him back to reality and they are very good  at doing that in a way that is subtle to most listeners. 

Okay but one gripe... i wish he wouldnt go metal hands on war begun.  Never understood or liked that  , especially after the solos he was doing previous to that on that song were so killer (smacking the strings and bossing out in general).

THIS IS PERFECT! I've seen the band do that so much! they subtly reel him back in, only people playing in bands really notice these small things. I used to go off to the 3rd dimension during some of my old band's songs and I'd get the little looks and the little drum rolls and the momentum building and building, a musician's way of saying "GET BACK TO THE RIFF!"  :beer: :cool:

don't know if  I explained that right (im at work) but it's totally a feeling I get when I see them do this, I saw it during Dondante at RR 2015 and at the show I saw in SLC 2015

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 02, 2016, 05:19 PM

Sooooooooooo well said Lonndown! 

justbcuzido

Yeah this band has always straddled that line between being too indie for the Jam scene and too Jammy for the indie scene. I do like that they have been crossing more towards the jam line as of lately.

I do think the best thing they have going for them in this regard is Pat, who is a master at reeling the boys back in. There are times where Jim and Carl are just lost rocking together and Pat is great at getting them back to the song. I think they all do it in their way, but I notice Pat the most. Keeps it from being endless boring noodling like Phish....
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

APR

Quote from: parkervb on Jun 02, 2016, 08:20 AM

i've been saying this for a couple of years. It really started for me with the 25 minute Cap Theater Dondante. Dondante is best in that 12-15 minute range IMO

My recollection of this (haven't listened again tbh) is that Carl was kinda stepping on Jim a bit with the sax.

That Cap Theater Dondante with the horns is one of my favorite versions.  I'm a fan of the 20+ minute versions even without the amazing disco ball.

Lonndown27

[/quote]
Sooooooooooo well said Lonndown! 
[/quote]

thank you my good sir!

Quote from: APR on Jun 03, 2016, 11:23 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Jun 02, 2016, 08:20 AM

That Cap Theater Dondante with the horns is one of my favorite versions.  I'm a fan of the 20+ minute versions even without the amazing disco ball.

That Antibalas Dontante from Cappy2012 was .....hallucinogenic and twisted as fuck...but yet....IT WAS AWESOME!!!
I'd like to see less sax on Steam and Dondante and more guitar battles between Jim and Carl...that stuff really got to its insane apex around 2010...those two dueling bastards!!!!  :evil:

parkervb

Behold...night 1

courtesy of Dat Pat/Pat Myers.
Don't you ever turn it off