Red Rocks 5/28-29/2016

Started by parkervb, Dec 14, 2015, 09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOOGANS

:wink: :wink:
Quote from: ericm on Jun 03, 2016, 05:32 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 03, 2016, 05:18 PM
Quote from: vandemusser on Jun 03, 2016, 05:07 PM
I always regretted not being able to see the original line-up perform since my first show was Sokol Underground in Omaha, NE in May 2004 with Carl and Bo newly added to the lineup. The show that changed my life... I always assumed that I would never see Johnny Quaid perform with the band, though.

When I saw Johnny walk out on stage this past Saturday night, I literally teared up. I recognized the guitar immediately. As the night wore on, I could see that he was having an absolute blast. What made it even better was seeing how happy the rest of the band was to have him there. The hugs at the end of night 2 just about did me in. I honestly don't know how I will ever see a concert to out-do what I saw this past weekend.

I think I can die a happy man now... hopefully not for a while, though.

beautiful thoughts by the way, it's so true...that Twitter pic of Carl and Johnny and the sunscreen was hilarious and just so .......perfect, Hollywood ending. guy starts a band with cousin who becomes a genius and then that guy leaves the band right when theyre on the cusp of stardom, only to return to the stage, SG in hand, to blow the stage the fuck up with the band...a three guitar, reincarnation of the formation, not the sound, of the three guitar attack of Lynyrd Skynyrd (well...maybe on OBH  :rolleyes:)

It would've been perfect if Johnny was turned up enough in the mix where we could actually hear him! No doubt it was great to see him up there that much, and the fun he and them were having but IMO, it would've been better if we didn't have to strain to try and hear him. I can't speak for everyone but I honestly couldn't hear much of him even though I was focusing on trying to.

I realize mixing three live guitars isn't easy but if you're gonna have him up there a little more volume on his playing would be nice.  :beer:

Johnny elected to play pared down parts and simple chord phrasings as to not step on the other two.  I'm not sure what you were expecting to hear but he was blended in just beneath Carl and Jim straight up the middle.  Every source cannot take pole position at once and only solos get boosted.  The core band is always priority and special guest get blended in to to taste. :wink:

ericm

You're correct in what you're saying Toogans and not trying to be a smart ass but me and all of the people I spoke to were all concert veterans and very aware of a guests protocol.

What I and they were expecting was for Johnny to be up enough in the mix to hear him. Nothing more, nothing less.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

ruralt

Quote from: grjammer on Jun 05, 2016, 08:06 AM
Quote from: rkwedge on Jun 05, 2016, 01:17 AM
Quote from: raheuer on Jun 04, 2016, 11:26 PM
Quote from: Stevie on Jun 03, 2016, 09:06 PM
So, some angel took the night two video, converted it to mp4, and then posted it for us to download for safe and eternal keeping in case the yt vid goes down at some point.  Im wondering... might someone be willing to do the same with night 1?  I would but i have no idea what im doing and would probably create something sub par. 

I didn't even know there were DL links for the videos... A PM would be GREATLY appreciated!
Ditto

Same here.  PM would be most appreciated!

Would also like to get in on this.

Bagels

So now that it's about a week later, I think I've finally come back to Earth after my first trip to Red Rocks.

Epic shows. Amazing. Completely worth flying to Colorado from NYC, and I couldn't think of a better weekend or bands to be part of my first experience at RR.

The highlight list is long and plentiful, but I'll try to pare it down...

State of the Art

Everything from It Still Moves (was the album that got me into them, so seeing any deep cuts from this still gets me)

The sequence of Steam Engine > Heaven's Door > Strangulation! > Smokin' From Shootin' > Run Thru..... pretty sure that combination of music should count as a weapon and one needs a permit to play that sequence live.

Ending the whole thing with Phone > Dancefloors > OBH... Going from what I thought was the most beautiful music of the weekend, to probably my favorite MMJ song, to OBH...perfection. just perfection.

Other random highlight: If anyone caught the Flaming Lips perform the Soft Bulletin with the Colorado Symphony that Thursday, it was beautiful. And right after The Spiderbite Song, I told my friend that that song is about Steve Drozd's heroin addiction. I was amused by how disturbed he was to learn that news about such a beautiful song.

Sopris

you can save any video on youtube by just typing ss in the address bar before the youtube part

ssyoutube

:beer:

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Jun 04, 2016, 10:33 PM
Quote from: jcc0065 on Jun 04, 2016, 09:38 PM
i 100% hear him on Steam and Run Thru. I mean his amps small as fuck, he was definitely more there just for the fun of it for him and us as a crowd. Dont look too much into it ya know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh?  :huh:  Don't look too much into what?

No one is saying it was purposely done or as a slight to Johnny. It just would've been great since he was there to actually be able to hear him as well as see him.  :beer:

WATCH: Right before Johnny comes onstage for his first song (cant remember if its from Pat Myers video of Night I or Night II, Carl goes over to Johnny's combo Fender amp, stage center, and turns it either UP or DOWN...and then looks up to see if someone saw it (Johnny was hugging people) ...don't know what that was about, but looked strange. His amp was on, the red light was on, but maybe he was playing loud enough just to fill up the sound??
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

mahg33ta

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jun 05, 2016, 06:47 PM
Quote from: ericm on Jun 04, 2016, 10:33 PM
Quote from: jcc0065 on Jun 04, 2016, 09:38 PM
i 100% hear him on Steam and Run Thru. I mean his amps small as fuck, he was definitely more there just for the fun of it for him and us as a crowd. Dont look too much into it ya know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huh?  :huh:  Don't look too much into what?

No one is saying it was purposely done or as a slight to Johnny. It just would've been great since he was there to actually be able to hear him as well as see him.  :beer:

WATCH: Right before Johnny comes onstage for his first song (cant remember if its from Pat Myers video of Night I or Night II, Carl goes over to Johnny's combo Fender amp, stage center, and turns it either UP or DOWN...and then looks up to see if someone saw it (Johnny was hugging people) ...don't know what that was about, but looked strange. His amp was on, the red light was on, but maybe he was playing loud enough just to fill up the sound??

scandal

SimpleLittleBookworm

Quote from: ruralt on Jun 05, 2016, 12:24 PM
Quote from: grjammer on Jun 05, 2016, 08:06 AM
Quote from: rkwedge on Jun 05, 2016, 01:17 AM
Quote from: raheuer on Jun 04, 2016, 11:26 PM
Quote from: Stevie on Jun 03, 2016, 09:06 PM
So, some angel took the night two video, converted it to mp4, and then posted it for us to download for safe and eternal keeping in case the yt vid goes down at some point.  Im wondering... might someone be willing to do the same with night 1?  I would but i have no idea what im doing and would probably create something sub par. 

I didn't even know there were DL links for the videos... A PM would be GREATLY appreciated!
Ditto

Same here.  PM would be most appreciated!

Would also like to get in on this.

I downloaded it here and it worked great!
http://www.clipconverter.cc/download/QdM8Cy4V/250693484/

Just hit the download button.  There will be a popup ad that you can just close out of.
I would share my MP4 but I'm having trouble with winzip and not sure of any other way.

I've been lurking here for a while and this seemed like the perfect time to finally register!  Red Rocks show was mind blowing and I am so thankful/excited to have the full video!!

loriastratton

This was my first time at Red Rocks and was blown away by MMJ's performance for the May 28 show. I've written a post for my music blog about MMJ and want to share it with other fans who enjoy their music as much as I do:

https://strattonsetlist.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/victory-dance-my-morning-jacket-captivates-fans-with-magical-live-performances/

RemiG

A quick word from France to say hello to all the fans and thanks to the band.

On Nov 13th I was trapped more than 2 hours in the Bataclan during the Paris attacks. It was the worst time of all my life even if it turned out not that bad for me, without me or my friends being wounded.

When MMJ announced the two Red Rocks shows, I knew I had to come. This was the first concert I've booked, a month after the ordeal. It helped me a lot to have this goal.

Booked my first time in the US then: 3 days in NYC, fly to denver and see MMJ, and a 4 days road trip in west Colorado.

I loved every minute of that night from parking my car until I went to bed.

Loved the venue
Loved the audience
Loved the opening band
Loved MMJ

parkervb

Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

Quote from: loriastratton on Jun 05, 2016, 08:48 PM
This was my first time at Red Rocks and was blown away by MMJ's performance for the May 28 show. I've written a post for my music blog about MMJ and want to share it with other fans who enjoy their music as much as I do:

https://strattonsetlist.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/victory-dance-my-morning-jacket-captivates-fans-with-magical-live-performances/

great stuff Lori! You missing the 08 Roo show makes me feel tons better about missing them at 06 Coachella. ;)
Don't you ever turn it off

TOOGANS

Quote from: ericm on Jun 05, 2016, 11:41 AM
You're correct in what you're saying Toogans and not trying to be a smart ass but me and all of the people I spoke to were all concert veterans and very aware of a guests protocol.

What I and they were expecting was for Johnny to be up enough in the mix to hear him. Nothing more, nothing less.  :beer:

Understood but it is my responsibility to protect and serve the immediate band and the integrity of the songs. Guest are a cherry on top and at my discretion when being mixed live.  This a subjective matter and IMHO the guitars were balanced properly.  Since 03'

Crispy

Quote from: RemiG on Jun 07, 2016, 09:17 AM

On Nov 13th I was trapped more than 2 hours in the Bataclan during the Paris attacks. It was the worst time of all my life even if it turned out not that bad for me, without me or my friends being wounded.

When MMJ announced the two Red Rocks shows, I knew I had to come. This was the first concert I've booked, a month after the ordeal. It helped me a lot to have this goal.

Booked my first time in the US then: 3 days in NYC, fly to denver and see MMJ, and a 4 days road trip in west Colorado.

Loved the venue
Loved the audience
Loved the opening band
Loved MMJ

This is awesome.  :beer:
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

ericm

Quote from: TOOGANS on Jun 07, 2016, 10:06 AM

Understood but it is my responsibility to protect and serve the immediate band and the integrity of the songs. Guest are a cherry on top and at my discretion when being mixed live.  This a subjective matter and IMHO the guitars were balanced properly.  Since 03'

Fair enough. I totally get protecting the immediate band and you're certainly entitled to your opinion on the balance.

I've seen Johnny guest a couple of  times with the band and could hear and distinguish his playing fine. All I'm saying is this time I couldn't.

At first I thought it was just me or where I was sitting but both nights I was fairly close to center, and no more than 20 rows back either night, but in talking with others I found it wasn't just me. I don't think there's anything wrong with voicing my thoughts on this and I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. Simply stating what my experience was.  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

Quote from: Crispy on Jun 07, 2016, 11:18 AM
Quote from: RemiG on Jun 07, 2016, 09:17 AM

Loved the venue
Loved the audience
Loved the opening band
Loved MMJ

This is awesome.  :beer:

Yes it is and add me to the list of people raising a glass to you Remi.  :beer:

I hope you make it back to the States for more shows. If you do, be sure and let us know. I'd be honored to buy you your drink of choice if we're at the same show. 

Thanks for sharing your story, and keep on rocking!  :thumbsup:
"Where's Jim going?"

Stevie

Quote from: TOOGANS on Jun 07, 2016, 10:06 AM

This is going to sound like a smart ass question but I mean it sincerely when I ask: what makes it your responsibility? Do you work for the band? I'm just curious

walterfredo

I believe Toogans=Ryan Pickett?

Mr. White

Here's my video of "Bermuda Highway" recorded on Sunday (Night 2) at Red Rocks. I know, I know, I record Bermuda Highway at almost every show I attend, but it's one of the soft songs that doesn't overdrive my simple camera's mic. Sorry to be redundant, redundant ...

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

GO4IT

Great Bermuda video, Mr White!  Jim was on top of his game both nights but really out of this world Sun night.  Thanks for the memories :thumbsup: :beer: