Roll Call overlap question

Started by amskinz, Dec 16, 2015, 02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amskinz

Here's a question I'm hoping someone has some insight to so I don't have to tango back and forth with WonderfulGroundUnionControl.
Through my love of this band, need for all the little gems they provide, and some OCD, I have managed to overlap my Roll Call membership over the last four years so much so that it now doesn't expire until February 10, 2017.
Questions I'm looking to have answered are:
1. Has this happened to anyone else before?
2. If so, did you contact WGCU about hooking you up with the overlapped years package items (poster, laminate, t shirt, 7")?
I'm assuming if I ask them about the matter, they'd tell me I have to buy each years package to receive the items. But a small part of me (the good part) hopes that they'd see my past loyalty and grandfather me the 2016 items.
It's kind of a tricky situation because of the way they add the overlap time on every time you renew your membership. I actually wish they didn't, and you'd have a definitive date when you must renew.
Don't get me wrong, I don't (fully) feel I'm entitled to the 2016 items. If they say I need to renew again to get them, and overlap my membership even further, I absolutely am going to.
Hopefully I didn't confuse too many, and someone can help out.
Cheers, and happy holidays!
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

johnnYYac

I'm kind of the same way, in terms of wanting each year's Roll Call swag (poster, t-shirt, laminate, 7" vinyl, etc.), so I added the 2016 membership today.  My current membership expired late next year, so adding this one simply tacked another year onto the end of that.  Current expiration date is 12/19/17.  So I got ahead of myself by nearly an entire year.

As far as getting the 2016 items without actually purchasing a 2016 membership... that's a toughie.  I fully understand you're reasoning, get how you ended up in this situation, etc.  Since it is early (poster and shirt design still TBD), you might have luck with a sympathetic soul an WU. 

Good luck!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

mentos

amskinz

UPDATE:
I talked with WU, and yes, no matter how much overlap has occurred with your membership, you must purchase each years membership to receive the special items. I absolutely understand this, as it's common sense. I just don't understand why their program is set up to add the time on. It just makes something simple more complex for no reason I can imagine.
Regardless of what I do or don't understand I'll be renewing my membership for 2016 momentarily, and can't wait for the goodies. This band just means so much to me, and I know many of you too. Calendar confusion will never prevent me from supporting this great group of musicians, and the people that love them.
And mentos, the 2015 7" will be going out mid-January they said. So hang tight!

So when should we start a new game with this overlap issue? Can there be a prize at some point down the line for the people who have overlapped the most?
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

itrainmonkeys

Wonderful Union is pretty bad.

johnnYYac

I honestly  can't think of a better way to do Roll Call,  as far as potentially overlapping membership.  The first time someone  signs up could be anytime in a calendar year. Any additional sign ups get tacked on to the previous expiration date,  so you get full value.  They produce a finite number of membership swag items,  so there is the risk a given year's  membership will sell out.  That's  a big flaw,  but I'm guessing the first year they overstocked,  based on the t-shirts  made available on the points store. 

APR

I think the biggest flaw is the $22 for shipping and processing for the 2016 Deluxe (that's the cheapest option).  On the other hand, $40 for the membership perks, bootleg code, shirt, bonus item, and poster is extraordinarily reasonable.  So that makes up for the surprise fees at checkout.

grjammer

Quote from: APR on Dec 17, 2015, 08:42 PM
I think the biggest flaw is the $22 for shipping and processing for the 2016 Deluxe (that's the cheapest option).  On the other hand, $40 for the membership perks, bootleg code, shirt, bonus item, and poster is extraordinarily reasonable.  So that makes up for the surprise fees at checkout.

Isn't there a way to select a cheaper shipping option?  I have some recollection of a basic shipping option with no tracking that was far less than $22 when purchasing the 2015 RC package. 

johnnYYac

I think you're right, grjammer.  Even so, the lowest shipping options are WAY out of line.  I have shipped plenty of posters, 12" and 7" vinyl, etc. both US Postal and UPS and there is NO WAY Wonderful Union or the merch folks need to charge double-digit shipping for Roll Call membership swag or merchandise from the web store. 

Its been an issue brought up many times over the past few years.  The only justification for some of this is that Roll Call items sometimes ship separately, such as the end-of-year 7" vinyl.  Still...

In my mind, Roll Call should just be $50, shipping included.  Add $10 for international. 

The merch store also needs to have shipping under $10, especially for single items.  Purchases over $50 should have free basic shipping. 

If only I were in charge...  :rolleyes:

APR

Quote from: grjammer on Dec 18, 2015, 09:13 AM

Isn't there a way to select a cheaper shipping option?  I have some recollection of a basic shipping option with no tracking that was far less than $22 when purchasing the 2015 RC package. 

There is not.  There are more expensive shipping options though.  Maybe it was cheaper in 2015 or maybe they calculate by zip code.

I agree with Yac.  And I would like to put him in charge.

grjammer

Quote from: APR on Dec 18, 2015, 02:00 PM

There is not.  There are more expensive shipping options though.  Maybe it was cheaper in 2015 or maybe they calculate by zip code.

It may well be different in 2016 as I haven not yet purchased the 2016 membership.  I just looked up the order for my 2015 RC Deluxe package on the account page and the total for shipping was $5.90.  Unfortunately, it appears I will be paying much more than that this time around. 

justbcuzido

Quote from: grjammer on Dec 18, 2015, 02:35 PM
Quote from: APR on Dec 18, 2015, 02:00 PM

It may well be different in 2016 as I haven not yet purchased the 2016 membership.  I just looked up the order for my 2015 RC Deluxe package on the account page and the total for shipping was $5.90.  Unfortunately, it appears I will be paying much more than that this time around. 

Yeah that was about my price for shipping last year as well, it's now $22.60. Maybe they just made a standard rate for everybody.

Does anyone know if there will be a 7" this year? Is that the "special item TBD"?
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.