ACL Season 42

Started by dontgetupset, Feb 01, 2016, 01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

http://acltv.com/2016/02/01/acl-announces-a-new-season-of-tapings-with-iggy-pop-natalia-lafourcade-and-my-morning-jacket/

My Morning Jacket are old friends of Austin City Limits. Not only has the band been featured twice, in 2006 and 2008, but dynamic leader Jim James has appeared four additional times, as a solo headliner, with Monsters of Folk and as a special guest of Bright Eyes and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. For their first collective appearance in eight years, the eclectic Kentucky group focus on material recorded for their most recent album The Waterfall, which the New York Times called "a consolidation of the band's strengths" and Salon hailed as "the Louisville band's best, most ambitious and most nuanced effort in more than a decade." Expect plenty of wide-ranging alternative rock from veterans My Morning Jacket on May 2.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

buymycar

They're also replaying one of the earlier ACL appearances on MTV Live (formerly known as Palladia) on 2/10.

sillyboob

Quote from: buymycar on Feb 01, 2016, 07:02 PM
They're also replaying one of the earlier ACL appearances on MTV Live (formerly known as Palladia) on 2/10.

Thanks for the heads up.  DVR is set!  Also, playing just after, is an Artists' Den set by The National that is very good.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

BH

Do you know if that is the 2006 version?   I've been trying to re-aquire that since I lost it on my DVR.  I used to listen to that over and over and over....great Dondante.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

Quote from: BH on Feb 02, 2016, 06:04 PM

Do you know if that is the 2006 version?   I've been trying to re-aquire that since I lost it on my DVR.  I used to listen to that over and over and over....great Dondante.

http://www.mtv.com/live

buymycar

Quote from: BH on Feb 02, 2016, 06:04 PM

That Dondante was actually what got me into the band. Blew me away when I saw it.

From Johnny's picture, it looks like it's the 2008 show.

APR

Cool!  I would like to get the 2006 ACL back on my DVR as well. 

johnnYYac

I have a DVD of the '06 performance.  I might be able to create a disc image file (.iso) which would allow folks to burn their own DVD.  Let me see what I can do...

EDIT: Turns out the DVD files are corrupt or somesuch.  Trying to find a work-around.  In the meantime, here's a low-res version...

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/38g0bfbb2vecdpt/ACL_-_My_Morning_Jacket.mp4

Note that the above link to the low-res mp4 of MMJ @ ACL 2006 is downloadable, if you want the file for future viewing.

APR

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 03, 2016, 10:08 AM
I have a DVD of the '06 performance.  I might be able to create a disc image file (.iso) which would allow folks to burn their own DVD.  Let me see what I can do...

EDIT: Turns out the DVD files are corrupt or somesuch.  Trying to find a work-around.  In the meantime, here's a low-res version...

Don't tax yourself.  I'm sure the low-res is fine.  If it's the '08 upcoming on TV that's cool too.... my DVR could use that back on it as well.

Derek713

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 03, 2016, 10:08 AM

That was a nice way to spend 30 minutes at work :)  Thanks!

johnnYYac

Note that the above link to the low-res mp4 of MMJ @ ACL 2006 is downloadable, if you want the file for future viewing.

APR

The guide says the 2/10 broadcast is the 2006 show. 

buymycar

Quote from: APR on Feb 04, 2016, 10:49 AM
The guide says the 2/10 broadcast is the 2006 show. 

I watched the premiere of "The Best of ACL" last night with Radiohead. They had a teaser for next week's show...OBH and Tom and Jim's hair was short like 2008. Besides, the 2006 appearance was a split show with Death Cab For Cutie, so unless they show previously unreleased footage there's no way they can fill the hour.

They also cut a song from the Radiohead set for commercials, so it's a given they'll do the same for the MMJ set.

APR

Quote from: APR on Feb 02, 2016, 08:44 PM
Cool!  I would like to get the 2006 ACL back on my DVR as well. 

I made a mistake or they edited the listing because it now says from Evil Urges.  And that definitely makes sense about cutting the show to include commercials. 

amskinz

Random gear head question. On the '08 episode, before they play OBH, Jim is thanking the show and MMJ crews, and he has a Strat around his neck. Obviously this was edited from somewhere else in the show because he used the old faithful V for OBH. My question is what song did he play the Strat on? I can't say I've  seen him play one live.  I know the show was heavy on Evil Urges tunes. He definitely didn't use one at the T5 show when they played it. Just curious...
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

buymycar

Quote from: amskinz on Feb 14, 2016, 06:59 PM
Random gear head question. On the '08 episode, before they play OBH, Jim is thanking the show and MMJ crews, and he has a Strat around his neck. Obviously this was edited from somewhere else in the show because he used the old faithful V for OBH. My question is what song did he play the Strat on? I can't say I've  seen him play one live.  I know the show was heavy on Evil Urges tunes. He definitely didn't use one at the T5 show when they played it. Just curious...

Aluminum Park perhaps? Here's the full setlist:

http://archive.mymorningjacket.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=726&Itemid=26

1. Evil Urges
2. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.1
3. I'm Amazed
4. Thank You Too!
5. Sec Walkin
6. Two Halves
7. War Begun
8. Librarian
9. Look At You
10. Smokin From Shootin
11. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt.2
12. Nashville To Kentucky
13. Just One Thing
14. Wordless Chorus
15. Highly Suspicious
16. Cobra
17. Steam Engine
----------
18. Aluminum Park
19. One Big Holiday

amskinz

You're absolutely correct. I did find a few videos of him playing the Strat on Aluminum Park from '08. Most notably at Bonnaroo, which I didn't remember, for multiple reasons I'm sure. Thanks for the help. It makes perfect sense. How else would you get that beautiful twang?!
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."