Main Menu

The End?

Started by rna2525, Feb 08, 2016, 01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rna2525

Im not sure how many times this has happened.I Know PJ did this with Neil.But could this be the beginning of the end with the band doing a FULL tour over 40 cities with Ray Lamontagne? This seems like that to me.

jcc0065

Quote from: rna2525 on Feb 08, 2016, 01:03 PM
Im not sure how many times this has happened.I Know PJ did this with Neil.But could this be the beginning of the end with the band doing a FULL tour over 40 cities with Ray Lamontagne? This seems like that to me.

I dont think so, just a way to keep the other members of the band busy while Jim finishes his solo record (Jim isnt going on the Tour)

MOWJO8185

In a normal circumstance, I could see the potential of interpreting this as the band jumping in behind another artist because all was not well with the normal act. But in this case, with Jim having actually produced Ray's record that the rest of the band is now touring behind, it doesn't really feel alarming to me in any way.

Shug

Why on earth would this tour with Ray LaMontagne make you think Jacket was quitting?  Solo/separate projects have been a part of their behavior for a long time.  Nothing anyone in the band has said in interviews would suggest this, in fact much of what they have said clearly indicates their future plans.

I don't understand why people jump to what I think of as extreme and unwarranted and completely unfounded conclusions of doom.  Maybe they just are afraid of losing something they really like.  But still I see no benefit from putting ideas of doom and gloom out there in this case.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

itrainmonkeys

Quote from: Shug on Feb 08, 2016, 01:35 PM
I don't understand why people jump to what I think of as extreme and unwarranted and completely unfounded conclusions of doom.  Maybe they just are afraid of losing something they really like.  But still I see no benefit from putting ideas of doom and gloom out there in this case.

I've literally been told a dozen or two times from people who claim to hear rumblings/know things that the band would be finishing up after the next album. That goes back like 6 or more years now haha. There's always people assuming that the band is calling it quits.

I'm excited for this tour. I just took it as Jim doing his own thing (producing/solo album/other work) with the rest of the band choosing to keep busy with Ray. 

Mr. White

Somebody tried to suggest they knew it was the end of MMJ just as the last tour ended up in New York a couple of months ago.

If the band were quitting, why would they schedule a two day event at Red Rocks that is still more than 3 and a half months away? Why would they schedule back-to-back shows in their hometown of Louisville? Why would they schedule dates in Oklahoma, Indianapolis, and Houston? Why would they bother playing festivals in Atlanta and New Orleans? Why would they be filming a live show for Austin City Limits in early May? Why? Why would anyone think they were giving it up, if they were still touring and collaborating with other musicians? Sometimes worrisome speculation like this really makes me wonder ... why?

This band isn't stopping any time soon. They'll be around for quite some time ... I predict!
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

parkervb

if anything, I think this could be the sign of a very STRONG and connected band.  If Jacket were winding down, why would the entire band agree to tour in support of an album Jim produced? It's the confidence and connection they have in each other that allows this things to happen. At least that's how I see it.
Don't you ever turn it off

justbcuzido

Quote from: parkervb on Feb 08, 2016, 02:26 PM
if anything, I think this could be the sign of a very STRONG and connected band.  If Jacket were winding down, why would the entire band agree to tour in support of an album Jim produced? It's the confidence and connection they have in each other that allows this things to happen. At least that's how I see it.

Exactly! Furthermore, Jim (and the rest of the band) have said one of the best things about being in MMJ is the freedom to do side projects. The fact that they can go off and pursue other avenues has only made them stronger as a band in my opinion. Jim toured with Monsters of Folk, did his solo album, Carl did his solo tour, Pat did Spanish Gold and stuff with the Black Keys.

I think these mini forays into other projects give the band both an opportunity to expand their musical chops, but also a chance to re-energize as a cohesive band. I imagine they come back from these side projects re-invigorated and ready to put out new Jacket material.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

APR

Exactly Shug, Parker, and justbcuz.....

I'd just like to add that a lot of long term bands  (bands that have been together for a lot longer than MMJ) sometimes are able to stay together for a long time and maybe make better music due to veering off and doing other projects.  For example: Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Tool, Phish, and I'm sure the list goes on and on.

Jim has always said that he loves doing tons of different things especially.... paraphrasing here "coming home to MMJ."

Bulldog

Another thought to consider;

Chemistry

In bands current and no longer, you could clearly see strains in the way the bands worked together.

Maybe its just me, but I see no such evidence of that with these guys. These seem to be a bunch that really care about each other and understand the need to give each other space and allow for personal growth.

kholl44

Quote from: Bulldog on Feb 08, 2016, 07:52 PM
Another thought to consider;

Chemistry

In bands current and no longer, you could clearly see strains in the way the bands worked together.

Maybe its just me, but I see no such evidence of that with these guys. These seem to be a bunch that really care about each other and understand the need to give each other space and allow for personal growth.

exactly! At any show you can tell how much they love playing together
I'm in love with this soul; it's a meaning that I understand

AlwxanderD10

"We've been throwing this idea around for quite a few years now, and the stars have finally aligned. There has been such positive spiritual energy flowing throughout this entire project. From that first restless nights sleep when the album made itself clear to me, to the recording of the Album at La La Land Studio with Jim, to getting a call out of the blue ten months later that the Jacket boys wanted to back it up on the road."

If the band touring with Ray was any indication of the band calling it quits I really don't think they would describe it like this. Using phrases like "positive energy" and "jacket boys" doesn't seem like doom and gloom to me.

oistheone

Jim produces the record and then the band takes it out on the road. How cool is that?!?!

slappymoe

Quote from: Mr. White on Feb 08, 2016, 01:58 PM
Somebody tried to suggest they knew it was the end of MMJ just as the last tour ended up in New York a couple of months ago
it was the same poster. Said it would be the last we heard from mmj in a long time. If he keeps it up, he'll be right eventually.

walterfredo

Quote from: slappymoe on Feb 10, 2016, 11:18 AM
it was the same poster. Said it would be the last we heard from mmj in a long time. If he keeps it up, he'll be right eventually.

interesting and odd.

Stevie

Well, here's how i look at this:  Jim's backing band for his last solo tour was the band that backed Ray on the album.  Jim is currently working on a solo album again and should be finished soon.  To me, that means a tour is on the horizon and therefore Jim's solo band will be busy.  Perfect opportunity for the rest of Jacket to step in and go with Ray on the road and I think that this is what Ray meant by saying "the stars alligned."

On the topic of MMJ's current chemsitry, i've never seen them more tight-knit.  I think they had a tremendous bonding experience while recording the Waterfall together and it was evident in the articles that came out afterward.  They all seemed to be saying similar things, all on the save wavelength.  There were other examples of this in terms of post show behavior and what not..suffice to say they were really gelling this past tour and it came through in the music. 

I don't think they are shutting things down any time soon, but if they do it will most likely be for the right reasons.  I would be shocked if any of their egos eventually became too big to mesh with one another, and I think Jim is too strange for mainstream taste to ever be lured into the idea that he would be a bigger star or have more success on his own than with Jacket.  IDK.. it's not really something to worry about. 

beardedwonder

LOL. The boys aint goin nowhere!

Really, its called artistic exploration. They just don't break up to do it. Go do other things and come back to the gold. This helps them remain free and evolve as individuals and thus as a group.

Furthermore, theres no major drug issues if any. They don't seem to hate each other. They are still reaching their pinnacle.

I could see them easily carry on for another decade before them dismembering the band any time soon.

JAM ON!!
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

Lonndown27

they just love playing with different people in different situations and they love doing it together, if they can. This band aint going anywhere. They love what they do and whether thats a two year break until the next LP, whatever.....they'll be back, this is our Jacket  :beer:
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018