Meeting Jim James this week- What should I ask him?

Started by TDKshorty, Apr 24, 2016, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDKshorty

I'll be meeting Jim James this week as he'll be speaking at my school and as with most guest speakers, there's a QnA session at the end of the masterclass, and Jim is one of my favorite musicians, so I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to ask him something, but I have no idea what to ask him. 

I'm leaning towards something more spiritual- like asking about how meditation has played a role in his songwriting (though I know he's talked about it in interviews), or something along the lines of how there's this spiritual aspect to music where when it happens, when you're playing or creating something, you're at one with the universe, and I think modern society is very much in contrast to that, so it can make it difficult to maintain that relationship with universe, and it seems to me that he's been one person who has been able to persevere and continue striving to be better- if that make sense... 

Does anyone have anything they'd like to ask or have any suggestions?

dogwoody

Oh man. I'd probably ask him something along the lines of what music he's been listening to lately or what he's been inspired by recently I guess. Honestly I would be pretty starstruck to talk to him as embarrassing as that sounds for a 23 year old guy, but I can't help it. I've never actually met him.

Your question sound just fine to me. I am extremely jealous : )

I have wondered what kind of car he drives.....but I wouldn't waste a question for that, lol.

MikeR1390

Quote from: dogwoody on Apr 25, 2016, 12:03 AM

I have wondered what kind of car he drives.....but I wouldn't waste a question for that, lol.

Honda CR-V is the last car I saw him rolling around town in.

gardenparty

He always talks about his spiritualty and songwriting so I'm good on hearing more about that right now.   I'd go for the meat...

T5 box set release :thumbsup:

Any more plans for another live Okonokos type release?

Have fun though!

LBSUNFLWR

very cool for you! I think have 4-5 questions planned so you can ask him something different than what everyone else asks him.

wheelhousetunes

The T5 box is a good one or an Okonokos-type release dvd/blu-ray.

Also, with the re-mastered deluxe It Still Moves coming out - maybe if they have any plans for similar releases for the other albums?

parkervb

Quote from: wheelhousetunes on Apr 25, 2016, 03:30 PM
The T5 box is a good one or an Okonokos-type release dvd/blu-ray.

Also, with the re-mastered deluxe It Still Moves coming out - maybe if they have any plans for similar releases for the other albums?

No offense, but don't ask about album releases...  It's almost certain that you won't get what could be considered a satisfying answer.

Since he's such a collaborator and producer now, maybe ask how he approaches conflict in the artistic process and if he thinks conflict can even aid the artistic process.
Don't you ever turn it off

MusiKel Mama

Ask why so many people choose to exami the nature of God through the vehicle of his being...and then wink and giggle

Lonndown27

ask him why he's such a badass and if he wouldn't mind playing a show in Lonn Phillips's backyard for a few private friends? Ill pay in weed  :cool:
:cheesy:

just kidding

but....

ask him...if he thinks drugs has helped or hindered his creative process and what hes into doing now, as far as putting his mind in that space to create.

also...shove in something about OKONOKOS II  :beer: :wink:

also...about him driving a Honda CR-V around town....well my god...that's just fucking awesome. Jim James is literally a god and yet hes a human...its just too good to be true. The fact that everyone in this band is so amazingly human....MMJ FOREVVVVVA
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

lasvegas

ask him if he ever did find that missing striped sock
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

paddlingout0

Ask Him how it was working with Ray Lamontagne on Ouroboros and if there next album is going to have that same 'made for vinyl' aproach :))

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk