Jim covers Candyman for Day of the Dead

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 27, 2016, 09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

Other songs released thus far...

Terrapin Suite

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

johnnYYac

LBSUNFLWR

nice! Thanks for posting. Will watch all of these tonight!!

Coming up May 11th is the Annual GD at the movies. I have not missed one yet!
The 2 nights following GD at The Movies are the 2 MMJ shows in Louisville. Gonna be a hell of a week!! :)

johnnYYac

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 27, 2016, 10:02 AM

The 2 nights following GD at The Movies are the 2 MMJ shows in Louisville. Gonna be a hell of a week!! :)
I've got tix to that May 11th movie.  Its a show I was at, Foxboro July 2, 1989.

easy way

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 27, 2016, 10:20 AM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 27, 2016, 10:02 AM

I've got tix to that May 11th movie.  Its a show I was at, Foxboro July 2, 1989.
Damn! That's super cool, John. Should be quite an experience... better get your mind right like it was 1989 again.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

LBSUNFLWR

That is really cool!  :smiley:

Seeing the band up on the big screen in surround sound is the closest thing to seeing them again. To me it's better than seeing the remaining members live in person today.

lasvegas

QuoteI grew up rebelling against the Dead, and the culture around them — it seemed contrived, and I was tired of hearing about them all the time. Then someone told me, "I know you think you don't like them, but just try American Beauty." I started listening to it in our tour van and thought, "Whoa, these are actual songs."

One night around then, we had a show in L.A., and I took a walk at three in the morning on Manhattan Beach by myself. "Candyman" came on, and it was one of those moments — it just hit me. It's so dreamy. The harmonies and the guitar work so beautifully. It just takes me to this place. It's about a drug dealer, but it doesn't feel cheap. I laid down against the lifeguard shack and listened to it 20 times. I feel like Jerry's spirit is one of the most beautiful spirits ever. There's something about his voice and his guitar tone, it radiated peace, but not a stupid peace, not a fucking tie-dye shirt with a peace sign on it: It was a questioning, kind of dark, peace.

dig it.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

jimsflyingv

When hearing Jim singing Candyman I came to the conclusion that he is the Jerry Garcia of our age.
His voice is perfect to cover Jerry.

justbcuzido

Quote from: jimsflyingv on May 17, 2016, 09:27 AM
When hearing Jim singing Candyman I came to the conclusion that he is the Jerry Garcia of our age.
His voice is perfect to cover Jerry.

I agree, I have been noticing that more and more since they changed Phone Went West live around 2012, and there's that slow build jam that just feels like he's channeling Jerry.

I'm just happy he is taking care of himself and has good people around him in a way Jerry never did.
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

johnnYYac

This reminds me of my very first post on the Forum...

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
So I heard that there is a Jerry Garcia biopic in preproduction and I'm thinking Jim James would be perfect cast as Jerry.  Granted, doing so would pull him from being available to tour as much, and I need them to come back to New England as soon as freakin possible.  Still, I think it would be an interesting way to go.  Your thoughts?

Apparently, I'm not alone (from TheFader.com):

Who Will Play Jerry Garcia?

The Hollywood Reporter just announced a new Jerry Garcia biopic to be produced by some of the guys behind Election, Little Miss Sunshine and Hamlet 2. So, while we have recently treated Jerry with a fair amount of reverence, this version of his life during the years just before founding the Grateful Dead will apparently be a black comedy with plenty of slapstick and a dash of family drama. In light of that, we have compiled our top suggestions for the role of Papa Jerry...

Jim James
My Morning Jacket's frontman was actually the first to pop into our minds. Despite the physical similarities and obvious ability to credibly play music without overdubs, his inclusion would literally drive hundreds of thousands of passed out Wookies to the theaters.