Main Menu

Desert Trip

Started by oistheone, May 13, 2016, 09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

Far-out theory -- but any chance MMJ are Roger Waters' band for these shows? Waters announced that the Lucius girls will be joining him; maybe we'll see a full Newport reunion?!? A man can dream...

Also, I got shut out of tickets so if anyone wants to help out a brother in need, while making a pretty penny, please let me know! I simply must attend this.

Murph

Did anyone make it out to Desert Trip?  I'd love to hear some reviews..

oistheone

Just returning home after a hell of a "trip" and I can safely say Desert Trip was hands down the best festival experience I've ever had. Completely flawless execution and a drop-dead gorgeous site. Waaaay more range in the crowd demographics than I thought there'd be. Pretty much every walk of life represented well.

The highlights:
- the coolest ****ing stage I've ever seen. Massive and a high definition wonder.
- AC bathrooms everywhere. Didn't touch a porto all weekend.
- Roger Waters bringing his own quadraphonic sound system. There was laughter coming from behind you, helicopters flying over head and enough surprise sound effects to turn someone schizophrenic. If that doesn't trip you out I don't know what will.
- the Neil/Paul day was the best musical one-two punch I've ever witnessed. I've never smiled wider than when Neil joined McCartney on stage to rock the **** out of "Why Don't We Do It In The Road?"
- the Who being the loudest act of the weekend by FAR and Pete Townsend delivering some of the most crass banter I've ever heard.
- gotta give it up to Dylan for playing one of his first "greatest hits" sets in the last decade. A lot of people I talked to had no idea how rare that was. I knew we were in for a treat when he opened with RDW12/35 but then the hits just kept comin'! "Highway 61" and "Desolation Row" were real treats but "Ballad of a Thin Man" had my jaw on the floor. What a set!
- everyone was SO nice and SO into it. Made new friends every ten minutes it seemed, each more excited to be there than the last.
- GA was nowhere NEAR as far as I thought. Spent half my time in the pit and half in GA with friends, and for some acts, like Roger Waters, I thought GA was actually a better spot than up close. You could really take it all in. Having said that, the pit was MASSIVE and getting to see the legends from only a few dozen feet away was unbelievable. Thank you StubHub!
- the shuttles. Singin, dancin', drinkin' -- the geezers on the bus know how to get down! After we figured the shuttles ran waaaay later than advertised, my group chilled out an hour after each night and rode home practically in private.
- some of the most lax festival security I've ever had the fortune to take advantage of

Literally the only con:
- the most crazy expensive event of all-time. $15 beers. Thankfully, after day one, that was no longer a problem. (See my last pro)

Give me a half-decent lineup next year and I am soooo back. Prediction: Bruce, Petty, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Billy Joel and Elton John.

brob

Your review is spot on.  What an experience!  We will definitely go back with the right line-up.

walterfredo

I don't see how that lineup could even be remotely replicated. Are they indicating that they'll keep this going?

So no mention of the Stones in your review, any particular reason? I think they would have been the major selling point for me.

oistheone

The Stones were fucking awesome. I should have added that. Loved the Jimmy Reed cover they played and the "Come Together" cover was a nice touch. If I could summarize the Stones set in a few words it would be "what a wild fucking party". Drunken buffoonery everywhere around me. Girls dancing with their tops off; kids doing coke with their parents; and of course, a couple good fights. I suppose the only reason I didn't mention it earlier is that their Friday show got lost in the spectacle of the McCartney and Roger Waters nights. But the Stones put on an solidly awesome rock show and I applaud them for it!

There has been no official word that they'll keep this fest going, but Donald Fagen revealed in an interview that Steely Dan had been contacted about playing a similar fest in 2017. With the amount of money they made on this year, I cannot think of a reason why Goldenvoice wouldn't try to keep milking this cash cow. And for how much fun I had, there's no way I'd pass up the chance to return with a similarly epic lineup.

sillyboob

I've read a couple bands being thrown around for a next Desert Trip were Rod Stewart, Fleetwood Mac, Van Halen & Tom Petty.  Just rumors though (and that's not a Fleetwood Mac reference).
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

APR

I didn't realize there was talk of it being an annual thing.  Year two could not be as close to as legendary as this year's lineup. Those bands mentioned above make sense.  But after those six who could be possible to make a third Desert Trip even come close to the first two as far as 60s or 70s classic rock.

I'm glad it was so awesome oistheone.

Varitek

With the exception of a Led Zeppelin reunion, I can't think of anyone who they could book to generate more buzz and interest then who they had this year. What combination would have people saying "This lineup is bigger than 2016's Desert Trip" ?
"Did he just put on a cape?"

ericm

Quote from: Varitek on Oct 16, 2016, 02:00 PM
With the exception of a Led Zeppelin reunion, I can't think of anyone who they could book to generate more buzz and interest then who they had this year. What combination would have people saying "This lineup is bigger than 2016's Desert Trip" ?

I don't think they have to have a lineup that is bigger than this year in order to have it be a success next year.

How about some combo of these?

Springsteen
Fleetwood Mac
Elton John
Billy Joel
Aerosmith
David Gilmour
Paul Simon
Bob Seger
The Eagles
"Where's Jim going?"

oistheone

Agreed that they can't possibly replicate the splash/shock of the lineup this year. But I bet they throw a shitload of money at six stadium legacy acts and damn well try. They made too much money this year not to give a repeat the ol' college try.

I also bet this means Coachella goes even MORE pop with their headliners (which they've been trending toward anyway) and Goldenvoice saves their big bucks for DT. I'd be shocked if Desert Trip isn't back in some form sooner or later.

LBSUNFLWR

Maybe throw U2 into that list. Kind of an in between but still legendary stadium act.
Do they ever play any festivals?

ericm

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 17, 2016, 11:10 AM
Maybe throw U2 into that list. Kind of an in between but still legendary stadium act.
Do they ever play any festivals?

I was only thinking of performers/bands older than them but no doubt, they'd be a big draw and would have no problem adding them to the list. I agree about them being kind of in between but I think they go far enough back to qualify  if they're trying to keep to an older type bill.
"Where's Jim going?"

APR

Don't forget about Tom Petty.  He should be on that short list too.

U2 is certainly big and legendary enough but too young for that list.  They could fit for the third round of third Desert Trip.  U2, Guns and Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, ACDC, Pearl Jam, Radiohead.  Tom Petty could fit in that crew/era also.

LBSUNFLWR

I love Tom Petty! Tom Petty, U2, Bruce and Fleetwood Mac would be a hell of a start for next year if they're planning on doing this again.

oistheone

Petty will be touring next year and lives a stone's throw away. I reckon he's the closest thing to "very likely" we have at this point.

oistheone

Interesting tidbit from a Fleetwood Mac fansite -- Mick Fleetwood confirmed that the Mac would be hitting the road in October 2017. He said this SIX MONTHS AGO! Full quote here:

http://buckinghamnicksinfo.tumblr.com/post/141836981986/yeah-were-planning-to-go-out-a-little-later-than

If DT 2017 goes down, Fleetwood Mac is a lock.

kotchishm

Quote from: ericm on Oct 16, 2016, 10:51 PM
Quote from: Varitek on Oct 16, 2016, 02:00 PM

I don't think they have to have a lineup that is bigger than this year in order to have it be a success next year.

How about some combo of these?

Springsteen
Fleetwood Mac
Elton John
Billy Joel
Aerosmith
David Gilmour
Paul Simon
Bob Seger
The Eagles

I'm pretty sure the Eagles are done since Frey passed. Fleetwood Mac could carry it as a main headliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf