Radiohead - Moon Shaped Pool

Started by Stevie, May 23, 2016, 09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie

Holy smokes!  What an album!!!  Definitely something you can only get the most out of with some nice headphones.  There are just things you can't hear in your car. 

Have been listening to this and the Ray album back to back for several days now.  Two extraordinary albums.

LBSUNFLWR

http://www.jambase.com/article/watch-radiohead-perform-creep-first-time-decade-u-s-soil

Watch Radiohead Perform 'Creep' For First Time In Over A Decade On U.S. Soil At Madison Square Garden

British rockers Radiohead concluded a two-night stand at Madison Square Garden in New York City on Wednesday that marked the legendary act's first shows in the states in over four years. The capacity crowd was treated to a career spanning 24-song performance that included a "Creep" finale. Watch highlights of the show in glorious 4K hi-def below.

As usual, the band opened with the first five tracks from their recently released A Moon Shaped Pool LP played in the same sequence as found on the LP. While the initial four songs of the evening were low-energy affairs, Thom Yorke & Co. kicked it into overdrive for "Ful Stop." Yorke showed emotion moving around the stage and dancing with a mini-keyboard in his hands. The fuzzy, aggressive "Ful Stop" was followed by "My Iron Lung" from The Bends which hadn't been played in the U.S. since 2008. Radiohead's performance of "My Iron Lung" left jaws agape with its twists, turns and intense peaks.

"Climbing Up The Walls" continued the high-impact run and gave fans our first taste of O.K. Computer. "Morning Mr. Magpie" was up next and led into the lilting "Pyramid Song" featuring Yorke on piano and Jonny Greenwood bowing his guitar. The 17-song main set proceeded with more recent material, The King Of Limbs' "Bloom" and "Indentikit" and "The Numbers" off A Moon Shaped Pool. "Numbers" had a very different feel from other tunes performed on this night with a sound straight out of Laurel Canyon. Radiohead has a completely different set design than their last time through the U.S. and this one perfectly mixed video, traditional lighting and wild LED designs.

The five songs that ended the main set saw both the band and crowd become unhinged. Fans finally started getting down to "The Gloaming" which has a beat that wound make the perfect base for a rapper to freestyle over. Yorke showed off some of his best dance moves of the night on "The Gloaming." Both "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" and "Everything In Its Right Place" received the loudest reaction of anything played in the main set. The crowd sang along with both songs as Radiohead had their fans wrapped around their fingers. "Idioteque" was a master class in varying tempos, while the "There There" set-closer featured a whopping four drummers as Greenwood and Ed O'Brien played small kits, while Radiohead Devils Philip Selway and Clive Deamer banged away of their normal kits.

Radiohead ended the evening with a pair of encores. The first featured five songs, while the second contained two. The pretty "Give Up The Ghost" featured Yorke on acoustic joined by just Greenwood. Thom used a looper to sample his voice so he could dance around while his vocals continued to ring out. "Let Down" was busted out for the first time in a decade on Tuesday and it didn't take long for the song to return. What was most interesting about "Let Down" was that Clive Deamer left the band to play in its original five-piece format. Deamer didn't leave the stage however, he went to the wings and got the fuck down, playing air drums and singing the lyrics. Clive adds a much-needed burst of energy to Radiohead and is a great fit for the band. His enthusiasm was contagious. "Present Tense" was the evening's eighth and final song from their new LP and was followed by just the third "Planet Telex" of tour. "Planet Telex" once again showed off the fuzzy, aggressive side of Radiohead. A singalong "Karma Police" that had what seemed the majority of the audience shouting along concluded the first encore.

The evening ended with a second encore of "Reckoner" and "Creep." Straight off In Rainbows, "Reckoner" displayed the band's beautiful harmonies and the powerful drumming off the Selway/Deamer pairing. Radiohead wasn't supposed to play "Creep" at Madison Square Garden. The Brits' first and only radio hit reportedly wasn't on the pre-planned stage setlist. No matter why they performed it, the crowd ate up every second of it. The audience gave up all decorum and screamed the vocals and threw their arms in the air. "Creep" hadn't been played on U.S. soil since the 2004 Coachella festival. It was a sight to behold and perfect way to end the run.

click link to watch videos.

APR

I was at night one, and am happy to report that Radiohead is still (and will always be) amazing.  Thanks for the above article.

Here is a spot on review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/arts/music/radiohead-moon-shaped-pool-tour-review.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

The band (and its musical disquiet) started the North American leg of its first tour since 2012 at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night.

LBSUNFLWR

Last time I saw Radiohead: June 2, 2006 at The Tower Theater
:( That's 10 years ago!!!!

APR

I didn't know they played such small places then.  I have never seen Radiohead at small venue.  Hopefully they'll be back so you don't have to wait too much longer to see them again.   The crowd was so respectful during the quiet songs you could hear a pin drop (at least in my section).  Of course the crowd cheered when appropriate too.  Very different vibe than MMJ but a really great and fun show.  Thom's voice is so good.  Good flow to the set.  Johnny's techs were doing a lot of stuff because he has so much going on with different instruments. 

LBSUNFLWR

I think it was just one tour where they played select small venues and I got super crazy lucky I got tickets. Sold out in a flash.

Even in the 90's I only saw them at Stadiums and big outdoor venues. That show at The Tower was one of a kind and amazing and makes my all-time best shows list. The Tower is such a cool place too.

Jealous of those MSG shows and hoping they will come to the U.S. more!!

Mr. White

Radiohead - Live Outside Lands Festival - 8/6/2016

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

LBSUNFLWR

nice!! Thank you! I stayed up late Sunday when they re-aired that Outside Lands set. It started at midnight my time and I only made it for the first 4 songs!

oistheone

That OSL performance was goddamn amazing. One of my great regrets this summer will be not rearranging my life to make a Radiohead show fit in there. Woulda been totally worth it.

buymycar

Quote from: oistheone on Aug 10, 2016, 12:50 AM
That OSL performance was goddamn amazing. One of my great regrets this summer will be not rearranging my life to make a Radiohead show fit in there. Woulda been totally worth it.

Yeah, I paid more than I usually do ($170) to be there at OSL on Saturday just to see Radiohead. It was totally worth putting up with festival crowds, as they were incredible. The sound and the lights were exquisite.

APR

Quote from: buymycar on Aug 11, 2016, 12:34 PM
Quote from: oistheone on Aug 10, 2016, 12:50 AM

Yeah, I paid more than I usually do ($170) to be there at OSL on Saturday just to see Radiohead. It was totally worth putting up with festival crowds, as they were incredible. The sound and the lights were exquisite.

Too much rearranging could be too much trouble.  Hopefully they'll be back for a proper tour next year.  Luckily I didn't do much rearranging to make it to see them this summer.  I too paid way more than face value and also feel it was worth it.  Thanks for posting the OSL video Mr. White.  There is great Lollapalooza footage and a European show from 2016 on You Tube also.