Anyone else ride back to Nashville with Tom Blankenship yesterday?

Started by johdhayw, May 31, 2016, 05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johdhayw

The shows this weekend were without a doubt phenomenal.  I didn't think the weekend could get any better as we were boarding our flight back to Nashville and lo and behold Tom Blankenship boards and sits right across from my wife and I.  I must admit I got a little awe struck, then pulled it together.  Didn't expect to ride home with the band....unexpected and awesome.  Wondering if anyone else had that experience?

staurie28

that is really cool!! did you speak with him at all?  I've met him before, he is beyond nice.  They are such down to earth people for being rock gods (ok well in my opinion they are....)

johdhayw

I didn't want to bother him....I just told him thanks for the shows and he seemed very nice.  It was one of those weird moments where you can't place someone, but you know who they are.  Once it clicked, he was already sitting down.  I probably would have talked to him more if I had recognized him earlier.

toclowrm

My dad and I were dragging Sunday morning and wandered into a starbucks close to our hotel. Lo and behold, Tom Blankenship walks in and gets in line right behind us. Immediately recognizing him, I stood there debating whether or not to say anything. While we were both waiting for our drinks I gave him a quick "Sorry to bother you but just wanted to let you know last night's show was great, coming again tonight, etc...." As I started to walk away, he engaged ME in conversation before shaking my hand and thanking me for making the trip from Raleigh, NC. Truly an awesome dude and what was already far and away my favorite band continued to blow me away both with their performances this weekend and Tom's genuine appreciation of my love for their music. Such a great weekend! Hope everyone else had as much fun as I did!

sillyboob

I didn't fly with anyone from My Morning Jacket, but back in 2015, I was at LAX waiting for my flight to OBH, and I see Ben Bridwell eating in a restaurant in the same terminal as my flight.  When I get to the gate, I see the rest of the band milling around waiting.  I was able to talk with a couple of them (mostly about the warmup show they played two nights earlier).  They were really stoked to be flying down for OBH, their keyboard / guitarist was really personable and down to earth.  It was cool seeing their gear getting loaded into the belly of the plane.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

odelljaj

johdhayw

it was the 4:00 Monday flight back to Nashville from Denver.

Lonndown27

i met Tom before the SLC 10/07/2015 show, at a Food Court at the Gateway Mall. He was unbelievably awesome, congenial and understood my overwhelming anxiety to be in the midst of a personal hero. Tom was awesome and actually seemed to want to talk MORE, before I decided to leave him alone and not gush all over like a fanboy. I later sent Tom a direct message through twitter about it, and he said he totally knew that's what I was doing and that he respected it and was very grateful for me and my lady's 13 years of listening to his music.

Tom is the bassgawd.
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

dogwoody

Just another reason why this band is so amazing. They're not only great at what they do on the stage, but they're legitimately great human beings off the stage as well.

APR

I saw and thanked Jim and Patrick in the security line at DIA.  They quietly thanked me back but were not talkative, which I totally understood.