Johnny Quaid - Is He Rejoining the Band?

Started by superfrodies, Jun 01, 2016, 10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superfrodies

Johnny joined the band for 5-6 songs during their epic set at last year's Forecastle festival in Louisville, KY. I figured when he came out for that show it made sense because Johnny still lives in Louisville so maybe they figured "why not have him come up and join us for old time's sake?" But now that he has just played two nights in a row at Red Rocks, is this a signal that he may be coming back in a more full-time role with the band? Has he played any other gigs with them between last year's Forecastle and last weekend's Red Rocks?

If he were to be rejoining I personally would welcome the hell out of that. It's like just when you think they couldn't be bringing it any harder Johnny shows up and somehow it hits an even higher level. I personally love it.

Does anyone have any insights? Thoughts?

Nikkogino

God I hope so.  Jim, Carl, and Johnny would slay.

amskinz

This  would have the potential to destroy the live music business because people would only want to see MMJ. The three of them up there slaying dragons with their guitars every night would be magical.
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

walterfredo

I'll be the loan dissenter and say I hope he does not. Things have been going really well for the band and they seem to be really tight and constantly growing. Three guitars is a little overkill IMO. I love seeing JQ on stage with them, but don't mess with a great thing.

rmpotsy

and you can add that there is literally no chance of this happening.  he comes out occasionally for big shows, that is all.  if he was rejoining, he wouldve been at iroquois.
out go the lights it begins

WinstonLegthigh

Quote from: walterfredo on Jun 01, 2016, 11:48 AM
Things have been going really well for the band and they seem to be really tight and constantly growing... I love seeing JQ on stage with them, but don't mess with a great thing.
That's my line of thought, as well. It was a surprise and a real treat to see him join at Red Rocks, hope he keeps coming by from time to time.

DayDrinkin

I just figured Jim was being Jim and giving JQ a chance to live out a dream and play at 2 sold out Red Rocks shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cderosa1185

With the re-release of It Still Moves, I see it as a Memorial Day gesture. Let's remember where MMJ started!

No way I would want them to replace Carl though, and 3 guitars are overkill.

Could anyone even hear Johnny in the mix? I was at the shows and I could not hear his guitar what so ever

GO4IT

Quote from: cderosa1185 on Jun 01, 2016, 09:40 PM
With the re-release of It Still Moves, I see it as a Memorial Day gesture. Let's remember where MMJ started!

Could anyone even hear Johnny in the mix? I was at the shows and I could not hear his guitar what so ever

Agree with all of this.

Carl is just out of this world great for this band.  There's no need to mess around there.

I also did not hear anything discernible from Johnny at RR other than some rhythm guitar - no lead licks.

Nikkogino

Honest question: how much of Johnny Quaid's influence was on the first 3 albums.  I only ask this because ISM and At Dawn are by far my favorite albums.  Their studio album output since has been a step down in my opinion.  I will say that Z is a great album, with a focused approach that they have yet to regain.  When I listen to Johnny Quaid's newer stuff, while I am not a huge fan, I hear an ingredient that went into the MMJ stew that I loved.  When I listen to MMJ studio albums after ISM, there is just something missing.  I don't know if it's just nostalgia...I can't really put my finger on it but I feel like the first few albums had a little melancholy feel mixed with a southern influence.  Look, I love Carl as much as the next guy and I would never want him replaced, but I wonder if Johnny's influence was greater than we give him credit for.  Maybe it was the aura of the barn in KY seeping into the recording.  I want MMJ to continue exploring new sounds, but I wish I could get that "feel" back, whatever that is.  Was it Johnny?  Is it nostalgia clouding my mind?  Is it the new direction the band has taken?  I don't know....I just wish I could find that missing ingredient!!!!  Until then, MMJ still has the best stew in the world.

easy way

After the second night at RR, I thought it was interesting that JQ exited to the left and the band exited to the right... they went their separate ways.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

wheelhousetunes

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 02, 2016, 07:29 AM
Honest question: how much of Johnny Quaid's influence was on the first 3 albums.  I only ask this because ISM and At Dawn are by far my favorite albums.  Their studio album output since has been a step down in my opinion.  I will say that Z is a great album, with a focused approach that they have yet to regain.  When I listen to Johnny Quaid's newer stuff, while I am not a huge fan, I hear an ingredient that went into the MMJ stew that I loved.  When I listen to MMJ studio albums after ISM, there is just something missing.  I don't know if it's just nostalgia...I can't really put my finger on it but I feel like the first few albums had a little melancholy feel mixed with a southern influence.  Look, I love Carl as much as the next guy and I would never want him replaced, but I wonder if Johnny's influence was greater than we give him credit for.  Maybe it was the aura of the barn in KY seeping into the recording.  I want MMJ to continue exploring new sounds, but I wish I could get that "feel" back, whatever that is.  Was it Johnny?  Is it nostalgia clouding my mind?  Is it the new direction the band has taken?  I don't know....I just wish I could find that missing ingredient!!!!  Until then, MMJ still has the best stew in the world.

Well put. I can agree. Tennessee Fire, too.

slappymoe

Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 02, 2016, 07:29 AM.  I want MMJ to continue exploring new sounds, but I wish I could get that "feel" back, whatever that is.  Was it Johnny?  Is it nostalgia clouding my mind?  Is it the new direction the band has taken?  I don't know....I just wish I could find that missing ingredient!!!!
imo, it's all about the songwriting, not the people playing the songs.

APR

Quote from: easy way on Jun 02, 2016, 09:04 AM
After the second night at RR, I thought it was interesting that JQ exited to the left and the band exited to the right... they went their separate ways.

Before anyone exited the stage, JQ and Carl had a good, long hug.  I'm sure there is mutual respect and hopefully friendship there.

Nikkogino

Quote from: slappymoe on Jun 02, 2016, 09:54 AM
Quote from: Nikkogino on Jun 02, 2016, 07:29 AM.  I want MMJ to continue exploring new sounds, but I wish I could get that "feel" back, whatever that is.  Was it Johnny?  Is it nostalgia clouding my mind?  Is it the new direction the band has taken?  I don't know....I just wish I could find that missing ingredient!!!!
imo, it's all about the songwriting, not the people playing the songs.
I agree for the most part, but playing style can influence that...and how involved was Quaid in developing the songs?  I'm not saying that Quaid's leaving has made MMJ bad.  MMJ is the best live band on the planet in my opinion, and Carl is a big reason for that.  I just get sad that the newer albums don't do it for me the way the first 3 do.  Disclaimer:  Lay Low and Dondante are exceptions because those 2 give me those old MMJ vibes.  I also think Z was so well produced and sequenced that it doesn't fall into my "lesser tier" MMJ ranking like the last 3 released albums do.

Also it feels good to discuss MMJ again...the boards have kinda been dead over the past few years.

easy way

Quote from: APR on Jun 02, 2016, 10:56 AM
Quote from: easy way on Jun 02, 2016, 09:04 AM

Before anyone exited the stage, JQ and Carl had a good, long hug.  I'm sure there is mutual respect and hopefully friendship there.

No doubt! These guys are pro's...
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

Santo

JQ has been playing cameos like this since at least T5. He's on Removador Records and Tom, Carl, Dave Givan etc are all listed as musicians the last Ravenna Colt album. The way I think of it, he's still part of the cohort, but doing other things.

superfrodies

Glad this topic took off and got so much input. It was fun reading everyone's opinions. I think I fall into the camp of feeling like something is missing from the new records from the At Dawn and ISM days - whether that is directly related to Quaid is a mystery. And, like many others said, this is still my favorite band in the world and I absolutely love Carl and would never want to see him replaced by Johnny or anything like that. Having seen Johnny join the band live on three separate occasions, though, I will say that it seems to take the band back to their heavier, more rockin' roots and personally I find it to be insanely thrilling to watch. I have to disagree with people that say they can't even hear him adding anything. He's absolutely shredding when he's up there. 

Anyway, I hope it becomes something that happens more often, even if it is just for a handful of tunes every now and then. It's nice having part of that MMJ history represented on stage and it gives me the warm and fuzzies knowing that they still love rocking together.

My Morning Tube top

Quote from: cderosa1185 on Jun 01, 2016, 09:40 PM

Johnny did seem pretty low in the mix...I think the love is always there but the five some is locked in tight!

vadermaul

I know what you mean.  Those first 3 albums have that mystical, magical, moonlight, reverb, and  melancholy drenched all over it. Z was the perfect follow-up to those albums.  To me Z sounds like the Jacket took a vacation to the West Coast and made an album. 

I don't know whats missing since Johnny Quad left in their studio efforts.  I think it might be the production.  Early MMJ (& many bands in their early days) do much more with less. Jim talks alot of about Pro Tools now and back then it sounded like they would make the sounds/production themselves.   

Being front row for Red Rocks you could just feel the energy go up to 11 when Quad took the stage.  They all seemed to really enjoy his presence.