Johnny Quaid - Is He Rejoining the Band?

Started by superfrodies, Jun 01, 2016, 10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superfrodies

Quote from: vadermaul on Jun 03, 2016, 04:42 PM
Being front row for Red Rocks you could just feel the energy go up to 11 when Quad took the stage.  They all seemed to really enjoy his presence.

I'm glad someone else is mentioning this...half of it is the wall of sound that is created when he's playing with them but just as important is that it seems like the band just feeds off the added energy of having him up there and it makes them bring it even harder.

johnnYYac

Pretty sure Johnny lives in Idaho these days...

I actually thought his contribution was discernible in the mix at Red Rocks and the 3-guitar attack was palpable.

I know, when Jim brings a demo to the rest of the band, he lets Carl, Tom, Bo, and Patrick add their "thoughts" to the acoustic "shell".  In particular, I think of how Jim loved Carl's solo on the title track of Circuital.

I think its safe to assume the same was true when Johnny was in the band.  Therefore, he may deserve a lot of credit for the signature guitar in tunes like One Big Holiday, Steam Engine, and Mahgeetah, to name a few...

I've always felt Carl deserves accolades for his faithful rendition of Johnny's original guitar lines from those first three albums, adding his own seasoning. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Stevie

On the topic of melancholy, it is my opinion that the biggest reason for its departure from their musical tone is simply the main song writer (jim) developing as a person and seemingly finding a certain level of happiness that may have previously eluded him.  Hard to write with sadness and heartache when thats not what you feel and he has talked a lot about the (in his words) illusion that good artists need to be tormented souls or be depressed all the time to make music that moves people, citing curtis mayfield and kool and the gang as examples to his point. 

Count me in as a person who really misses the tone of ttf and at dawn but i dont think that is ever coming back.  However, something more like ISM could someday be in the cards again because to me it manages to be patient, soulful and explorative without the sadness. 

Matter of fact, if we could get something that combines the spacey, spooky and powerful (yet somehow mellow) vibe of the new Ray LaMontagne album with the full fledged epicness of ISM...that would be spectacular.

Cameron

Quote from: Stevie on Jun 22, 2016, 03:59 PM
On the topic of melancholy, it is my opinion that the biggest reason for its departure from their musical tone is simply the main song writer (jim) developing as a person and seemingly finding a certain level of happiness that may have previously eluded him.  Hard to write with sadness and heartache when thats not what you feel and he has talked a lot about the (in his words) illusion that good artists need to be tormented souls or be depressed all the time to make music that moves people, citing curtis mayfield and kool and the gang as examples to his point. 

Count me in as a person who really misses the tone of ttf and at dawn but i dont think that is ever coming back.  However, something more like ISM could someday be in the cards again because to me it manages to be patient, soulful and explorative without the sadness. 

Matter of fact, if we could get something that combines the spacey, spooky and powerful (yet somehow mellow) vibe of the new Ray LaMontagne album with the full fledged epicness of ISM...that would be spectacular.

Now we're talking!

Clarkwork

I like Johnny, would love to see him in the band again myself.  I think at Red Rocks he was very courtesy to the other players and did not try to over power anyone and added some great sounds. 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Stevie

Quote from: Clarkwork on Jun 23, 2016, 03:46 PM
I like Johnny, would love to see him in the band again myself.  I think at Red Rocks he was very courtesy to the other players and did not try to over power anyone and added some great sounds. 

I would be shocked if he wasn't significantly influential on the first few albums.  The way he plays, he seems like an intense guy (at least on stage) and when you hear songs like Twighlight, Run Thru, and OBH it seems like a perfect match to the presence he brings.  That said, i think every record since then except for Z has one song that is at least partially reckless abandon and intensity:. Remnants, Victory Dance, and Tropics.  Not to say there arent other heavy tunes but the rest are a bit more patient and calculated. 

Hopefully when Jim talks about "scorching rock and roll" he has some of that in mind. 

eDave

I'll be honest, I found him distracting at RR.  He just didn't move like the rest and it was quite the buzzkill for me. 

Carl did something to his amp just before they started playing together (night 2).  I think he turned it down.  LOL

Lonndown27

Quote from: eDave on Mar 14, 2017, 05:03 AM
I'll be honest, I found him distracting at RR.  He just didn't move like the rest and it was quite the buzzkill for me. 

Carl did something to his amp just before they started playing together (night 2).  I think he turned it down.  LOL

OUCH!!!!

Im glad we don't have a band here who are obsessed with the past. It makes everything new that they do feel like a continuing journey , while not the same sounds it IS the same as Tennessee Fire At Dawn ISM Z Evil Urges Circuital and Waterfall. They're a part of the rollercoaster called MMJ. At least they can Still tap into the melancholic moods of They Ran, Strangulation,  Rollin Back etc whereas some artists, like Neil Young,  if its not  on the cards or the mind at the time,  you straight up will NOT hear it live.

I get annoyed that the Jacket aren't busting out Come Closer etc but I think that mood doesn't jive with them anymore. 

Sad but hey , aren't you people interested in what this scorching rock and roll record is going to be? 
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Lonndown27

Also Johnny shouldn't rejoin the band whatsoever.  He seems happy doing his thing and after all, he was the dood WHO LEFT. Jacket have been unbelievable to have him back up there with them many times.  As for me, a guitarist and all around musician who's played live at least a couple hundred times,  I don't think Johnnys amp was even on during the RR2016 shows...I studied the Pat Myers footage to discern what was going on
Sure his fender twins red light was ON. ..does that mean Ryan was feeding it into the PA and mixing it in with the band? I'm not sure. .but Quaid has played a billion times live, too....wouldn't HE realize he couldn't hear himself? 
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Clarkwork

I will forever be a Quaid fan.  He's the type of guitarist that adds a lot to a song yet goes unnoticed.  Plus, I don't think the band would be where they are today without his influence. 
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Max5130

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 20, 2017, 05:27 PM
Also Johnny shouldn't rejoin the band whatsoever.  He seems happy doing his thing and after all, he was the dood WHO LEFT. Jacket have been unbelievable to have him back up there with them many times.  As for me, a guitarist and all around musician who's played live at least a couple hundred times,  I don't think Johnnys amp was even on during the RR2016 shows...I studied the Pat Myers footage to discern what was going on
Sure his fender twins red light was ON. ..does that mean Ryan was feeding it into the PA and mixing it in with the band? I'm not sure. .but Quaid has played a billion times live, too....wouldn't HE realize he couldn't hear himself? 
I would love to listen to some songs of yours or see some live videos if you have any available?

Lonndown27

Quote from: Max5130 on Mar 22, 2017, 04:05 PM
Quote from: Lonndown27 on Mar 20, 2017, 05:27 PM
I would love to listen to some songs of yours or see some live videos if you have any available?

I can definitely get some up. I put up one of me playing along to a live version of Steam Engine and my YouTube channel has a bunch of stuff. Too bad im only using a Fender mini twin battery powered.  Can't wait to get my Marshall head / Fender twin combination going again

Lonndown27

myspace.com/owsleysrevenge (high school progressive metal band. Me on guitar and drums..
It was my first time playing them seriously)

soundcloud/gweirdo     my newer and new stuff kinda strange and lofi as I don't have a drum set anymore