My Morning Jacket's most underrated song (and why)?

Started by Nikkogino, Jun 02, 2016, 02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fortbethel

Good discussion topic!

Cobra and Death is da EASY way here

superfrodies

Is Smokin' for Shootin' considered underrated? I feel like it's not one of their obvious "big" songs but it is one of my all time favorites. It's got such an epic slow build at the beginning, with Carl's great slide guitar playing adding some delicious ambiance and that chugging bass line from Tom. Then just builds to the most great crecendo ...

Distance- coming or going? c'mon
What are you waiting for?
Distance- growing or closing in on?
Anyway

They murdered it at Red Rocks last weekend.

Lonndown27

Quote from: bmsull2 on Jun 03, 2016, 02:49 PM
Where to Begin

One of my favorites but rarely hear it mentioned.

I know...I feel that song is better than the last 20 Oscar winning songs combined...I'm deadly serious when I say that...that 8/4/2012 version where the drums start at the verses...spine tingling...Jim is such an underrated lyricist
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Cameron

I'd probably go with Death Is The Easy Way as well.

Lonndown27

weird it didn't put it on there with them! ill reupload that one as well sorry about that! I'll be home in a few hours buddy  :cool: :thumbsup: :beer:

im glad youre enjoying this lost treasure!
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

Fartsmakemegiggle

War Begun. I've always liked the song but the guitar solo at Red Rocks was unreal. I went from liking the song to loving it

subinai

Chills, I Needed It Most, and Lil Billy. Saw them during the T5 run and would looooove to see them live again. Thankfully INIM was released during the "live song a week" tease leading up to the Circuital release.

Nikkogino

Quote from: Fartsmakemegiggle on Jun 04, 2016, 12:53 AM
War Begun. I've always liked the song but the guitar solo at Red Rocks was unreal. I went from liking the song to loving it
I agree with this one.  The live version on the TTF/At Dawn demos disc is insane!  I love TTF but I think we can all agree it is essentially demo quality.  I would kill for these songs to be re-recorded.

Brother Beck

My top pick would have to be Remnants, echoing what a few other people have already said.  Right from my first listen to Evil Urges it stood out to me and tied with Smokin From Shoootin as my favorite on that album.  I could never wrap my mind around why the band seemed to not care for the song and almost never play it live. 

dub82

Same in any language, where to begin, sooner, death is the easy way, EU, oxen are my tops.

I also cannot stop playing That's too Bad, but not "old" enough to be underrated yet.

Cameron

parkervb

I'm joining in on the "Remnants is underrated" team as well.

But aside from that track I might have to say Easy Morning Rebel. Just don't see it recognized as the down and dirty jam it is. I love the riff, I love it when they can add horns to it....case in point with Antibalas at the Cap '12:

props as always to Dillsnufus for the PC vids.
Don't you ever turn it off

amskinz

Easy Morning Rebel is in my top five favorite MMJ songs, and any time you can get the horns with it live is very special. I agree that it's not talked about or played much. But I chose Remnants for this because it's played half, less honestly, as much as EMR. I don't think anyone's ever said Remnants was in the doghouse, but what evidence is there that it's not?
"The best MMJ show I've been to was the last one, every time."

parkervb

Quote from: amskinz on Jun 06, 2016, 07:44 PM
Easy Morning Rebel is in my top five favorite MMJ songs, and any time you can get the horns with it live is very special. I agree that it's not talked about or played much. But I chose Remnants for this because it's played half, less honestly, as much as EMR. I don't think anyone's ever said Remnants was in the doghouse, but what evidence is there that it's not?

pretty sure it's been said that Remnants is a hard song for Jim to sing regularly.
Don't you ever turn it off

LB

no you never gotta fight with me

SplatSplatSplat

You need it.  That's for sure.

meltingaway

If All Else Fails (live versions - rare, powerful) - this is the only live version I can find, it's sublime. I'd say its highly underrated, not the most underrated jacket track--that's hard to say

DaydreamNation

One in the Same. It's one long deep dreamy breath at the end of that record. The perfect comedown from the climactic catharsis of Steam Engine.
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

gardenparty

I'll mention one of the first songs I "loved" by MMJ when I was learning about them but haven't really thought about since T5

If It Smashes Down

Death is the Easy Way is an amazing song but I imagine it wouldn't be too fitting for their live sets so I understand why it doesn't get the love.   I guess they often do it in sound checks though