So i asked JJ at the amoeba signing today

me "jim is it live album 1st or solo album?"

JJ "I dont know good question" with that classic smirk    :evil:

Mr. White

Quote from: rna2525 on Jan 19, 2018, 12:07 AM
So i asked JJ at the amoeba signing today

me "jim is it live album 1st or solo album?"

JJ "I dont know good question" with that classic smirk    :evil:

That's kind of like when I asked Tom which show or shows would be released on Livedownloads (Nugs) next, and he said, "That's a good question. Carl would know better than me." - Tom said this right after the Carl solo show at The Basement East in Nashville last January
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

oistheone

As for the content of this box, I'm not picky. Choose anything fellas, we know it'll be good!

I'm most excited for the SOUND! Okonokos has some of the most stellar fidelity I've ever heard on a live album. Doesn't hurt that it was mastered by the legendary Bob Ludwig. Hoping the next live album has the same fortune!

Lonndown27

Quote from: walterfredo on Jan 18, 2018, 09:33 PM
a beacon box set make the most sense. and it sounds right.

unless they just come completely out of the blue with the long awaited T5. Just don't see that happening though.

The beacon is such a legendary venue. T5 is a fucking shithole! (but it was a helluva shithole for 5 nights!) Pure branding alone... Beacon wins out.

Quote from: APR on Jan 18, 2018, 09:01 PM
Quote from: parkervb on Jan 18, 2018, 01:52 PM
Quote from: rincon2 on Jan 18, 2018, 12:11 PM
When the new live album comes out, I will certainly buy it. I do have a  question though. With all of the quality MMJ recordings for free on Archive.org, what is the general reason everyone is so excited about an official release? Is it to see what they chose to release and see if it matches up to expectations, release of versions not readily available online, or simply the tangible greatness of holding, looking at, and playing new MMJ vinyl? I mean, after all, most of the music is out there and available for free downloads.

well if it's the Beacon shows, then the question is moot really.

But, I think the band will ensure the mix meets their expectations and that it will far exceed the aud recordings that are out there (as good as many of them are). I also feel the selections they make will reflect their feelings about who they are as a band at that time and place and to me, that's also interesting.

I just got a Pearl Jam live record where the audio had been out for years (Soldier Field 1995) and it was FAR better than the decent radio rips that had been out there. It showed me how much impact professional mixing can have, esp on a live record.

Good question and answer.  I like the archive recordings but don't spend much time listening to them because of the sound.  I'm no audiophile, but I way prefer the 12/31/17 Sirius broadcast or some of the other radio station recordings like the Queens show from NYC last summer.  So you could argue that with enough of those types of amazing soundings shows that another live album isn't really necessary.   With nine shows from Mexico, three from Port Chester, a few Red Rocks and others I don't think we're hurting for great sounding shows.  And I don't know how much better a properly mixed show could sound to my ears.  But if it's MMJ, I want to get it and listen to it over and over.

And I agree with Parker about what the band actually selects being interesting.  I love the songs, the flow, and Jim's banter on Celebration de la Ciudad Natal.  The version of Dondante on that disc is one of the greatest Dondantes ever. 

Im sorry but those shows you've checked off are all epic and all 100% Grade A Jacket and we love them to death but they won't sound anywhere near as alive as a second official live album.  You dont get how good it can be. I feel like you kinda want it both ways when you rip on the audience recordings that are the best in the business our tapers are the greatest without doubt but then that we also DON'T need a live album? I dont get it.

Btw WE NEED ONE.

ITS BEEN 11 YEARS SINCE OKONOKOS and we all thought in 2012 or 2013 we'd be getting the second Okonokos but we waited patiently and those amazing soundboard shows kept us alive

Any Jacket fan who isnt salivating at the idea of a second official live album is either not really  a big fan or has no idea how great this band can be onstage and has been the last three years.

And actually more than anything we should be clamoring for a live DVD to go with it
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

APR

unless they just come completely out of the blue with the long awaited T5. Just don't see that happening though.

The beacon is such a legendary venue. T5 is a fucking shithole! (but it was a helluva shithole for 5 nights!) Pure branding alone... Beacon wins out.

Beacon box set or best of the Beacon run is my prediction too.  Why else would they have signs telling people that recording was not allowed?

ericm

Quote from: APR on Jan 19, 2018, 08:58 PM

Beacon box set or best of the Beacon run is my prediction too.  Why else would they have signs telling people that recording was not allowed?

Best Of The Beacon would be my guess as well but man would I love a Beacon Box set or some type of bonus set being made available. I'll also 2nd Lonn's idea of a DVD being a part of the release.  :thumbsup: Fingers crossed.  :beer:

As for the signs at The Beacon,  yeah the shows being recorded was my thought at the time too and I sure hope that was the case.
"Where's Jim going?"

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Jan 19, 2018, 09:18 PM
Quote from: APR on Jan 19, 2018, 08:58 PM

Best Of The Beacon would be my guess as well but man would I love a Beacon Box set or some type of bonus set being made available. I'll also 2nd Lonn's idea of a DVD being a part of the release.  :thumbsup: Fingers crossed.  :beer:

As for the signs at The Beacon,  yeah the shows being recorded was my thought at the time too and I sure hope that was the case.

they would HAVE TO BE...

the band always records every show they play and have since at least 2008 (i'd venture to say maybe earlier) but the Beacon shows were huge, i get a feeling from the setlists that they were setting it up for a live album: let's have an opening version of Victory Dance and then going straight into Evil Urges, just these little bridges song to song and opening the shows and closing the shows with certain songs, just watch out for that when it comes to it being all put together.

If you look at OKONOKOS now, in retrospect you can see that they were tailoring the setlists exactly to what the film / live LP needed. I'm extremely shocked at how the first five song sequence on the record and the DVD, WOrdless, Beats, Gideon, OBH and I Will Sing U all were played on one of the nights, with one or two repeated the next night just to make sure but they used the takes from that night, all in one take no fucking with it from one show to the other, second by second like some live DVD editing.

It's hard to tell with OKONOKOS...such mystery, power and energy. All I can think about right now is the Beacon shows coming out with a big fat beautiful DVD box with the words OKONOKOS II:  From the Beacon Theater, with a CD digipack next to it on the shelf of my favorite record store, Music 2 The Maxx here in Utah (FOR ALL BUYING THIS WHEN IT COMES OUT BUY ONLY FROM INDEPENDENT RECORD STORES..DONT FUCK AROUND) with two or three discs of live audio, mastered by Bob Ludwig, the Darth Vader of audio perfection. Even Bob Ludwig's shits sound like Steely Dan records.

EricM seriously i'm glad you agree with the visual experience being very much necessary. Sometimes, this band just MUST be seen to be believed, not just heard. I get that truly listening to these magic moments onstage is what it's all about, but my ears tune in even more hardcore when I'm watching Carl headbanging to the end of PWW or Jim doing his funny little dances and smirking at Patrick. That interplay and emotional love between the band members is such a revelation and is so interesting to me, as well as such brilliant photographers / artists like Danny Clinch, Todd Haynes, oscar winning Cameron Crowe and Sam Erickson.

Just look at the footage of RR2015 and you know more of that, ALL of that is just gonna make our lives even more spoiled and better.

SPOILED.
FUCKING.
ROTTEN.

being a Jacket fan in 2018 isn't a bad thing, NOT AT ALL....
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

ericm

No doubt Lonn. I was at all four and fortunate to have some incredible seats taboot. Even though I have those shows stored away forever I'm my mind's eye, I sure would like a DVD to pop in when I have company over and blow them away. :thumbsup:

I have a good friend who's on here once in a while and she has a yearly get together at her house for a bunch of friends. It's for another band that we love but every year, late night when only the hearty souls are still kicking, she pops in Okonokos, and we rock the joint late night, Jacket style!  :grin:

Here's hoping we get to pop in a Jacket double  feature next September!  :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

Lonndown27

Quote from: ericm on Jan 21, 2018, 09:15 PM
No doubt Lonn. I was at all four and fortunate to have some incredible seats taboot. Even though I have those shows stored away forever I'm my mind's eye, I sure would like a DVD to pop in when I have company over and blow them away. :thumbsup:

I have a good friend who's on here once in a while and she has a yearly get together at her house for a bunch of friends. It's for another band that we love but every year, late night when only the hearty souls are still kicking, she pops in Okonokos, and we rock the joint late night, Jacket style!  :grin:

Here's hoping we get to pop in a Jacket double  feature next September!  :beer:

ABSOLUTELY its just like the NYe stand in my mind: i remember every goddamn moment but seeing Pat Myers' footage and having full audio (and fantastic audio) of each night makes it even better, you can just hold on to every moment cause its right there to remind you of the brilliance, as if we needed reminding.

But then again, Denver is an experience everyone can see and listen to so far, whether there or not (BEING THERE WAS THE GODDAMN TITS THREE BEST SHOWS EVER )

but The Beacon shows will garner more mystery, as the Terminal 5 run has, due to its inability to be heard mostly. The Terminal 5 run has that semi full length video from the Tennessee Fire night on youtube that's in good to average quality for a 2010 camera phone video (just shows how damn good My Morning Jacket sound live). The bastard cuts during I Just Wanted To Say, Weeks Go By Like Days among a bunch of other huge rarities. Very frustrating!!

Clarkwork

Wonder if it will be what the band feels the best songs were from the entire Waterfall tour.  Meaning not one show but songs from all different shows.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Emb1528

Quote from: Clarkwork on Jan 26, 2018, 09:46 AM
Wonder if it will be what the band feels the best songs were from the entire Waterfall tour.  Meaning not one show but songs from all different shows.

I like where your heads at. That would be pretty neat.
Doesn't matter what you're doin', as long as you're losin' your head

APR

Quote from: Emb1528 on Jan 26, 2018, 01:01 PM
Quote from: Clarkwork on Jan 26, 2018, 09:46 AM

I like where your heads at. That would be pretty neat.

A DVD version of that would be amazing.

Lonndown27

Hey MMJ GIVE US SOMETHING TO DROOL ABOUT LIKE A TRAILER OR A COVER OF THE LIVE LP ANYTHING

sillyboob

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Jan 26, 2018, 04:59 PM
Hey MMJ GIVE US SOMETHING TO DROOL ABOUT LIKE A TRAILER OR A COVER OF THE LIVE LP ANYTHING

Yes, what he said, puhleeze...
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

Lonndown27

im literally thinking about this at least twice a day every day, I NEED ANOTHER OKONOKOS

Lonndown27

fuckin hate how there's never news about this until Jim says it's coming and then it doesnt. lets blast the Jacket twitter with requests until they produce this hahah

jttouch2

Quote from: Lonndown27 on Feb 15, 2018, 05:46 PM
fuckin hate how there's never news about this until Jim says it's coming and then it doesnt. lets blast the Jacket twitter with requests until they produce this hahah
I get my hopes up every time i get the little notification that they've tweeted/posted in instagram and every time i am disappointed. Bust it out soon guys please!!!!

millerjustin

Quote from: jttouch2 on Feb 15, 2018, 08:36 PM
I get my hopes up every time i get the little notification that they've tweeted/posted in instagram and every time i am disappointed. Bust it out soon guys please!!!!

big things rolling out after OBH
What's in here won't disappear

justbcuzido

Quote from: millerjustin on Feb 16, 2018, 10:25 AM

<Insert Michael Jackson eating popcorn meme>

Jim James solo album announcement for the summer?
Mona Lisa must'a had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles.

Lonndown27

Quote from: millerjustin on Feb 16, 2018, 10:25 AM

To quote one.of.my favorite Jacket songs:
HOW DO YOUUUU KNOOOOWWW???