New live album coming...

Started by johnnYYac, Jun 10, 2016, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Quote from: parkervb on Oct 18, 2016, 02:28 PM
Quote from: rna2525 on Oct 18, 2016, 01:01 PM
I think its a outside shot but the "LIVE" album might very easily be the run from Lousville shows.They had the stage flowered up & it was an amazing two night.

This is the underdog call that i think takes it.

would definitely make sense for a live DVD. I feel like someone said they saw cameras set up but I am hazy on that.

I was there for both Iroquois Amphitheater shows and don't remember seeing any cameras there. At last year's Ascend Amphitheater show in Nashville, there was a guy with a shoulder mounted camera recording almost the entire time from the rail (he was in the way of me and my brother on the 2nd row). They may have been recording for promotional purposes. Who knows?...
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Varitek

I'm thinking they put together a comprehensive, well mixed and produced Live document that will stand the test of time and represent the last year or two of performances. They have held back on live releases for the last year which creates interest and buzz for something to come out, and after it does they can start to put out the occasional LiveDownloads again which don't require meticulous mixing and production and are more for the hardcore fans. That's my 2 cents but I don't know much and am just hoping to see a stream of live releases again after listening to the Lockn' show everyday since it took place..
"Did he just put on a cape?"

Clarkwork

Quote from: Varitek on Oct 19, 2016, 12:28 AM
I'm thinking they put together a comprehensive, well mixed and produced Live document that will stand the test of time and represent the last year or two of performances. They have held back on live releases for the last year which creates interest and buzz for something to come out, and after it does they can start to put out the occasional LiveDownloads again which don't require meticulous mixing and production and are more for the hardcore fans. That's my 2 cents but I don't know much and am just hoping to see a stream of live releases again after listening to the Lockn' show everyday since it took place..

I think you are right and I think they release it next year with a tour to support.
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

Stevie

Quote from: Clarkwork on Oct 19, 2016, 12:20 PM

I think you are right and I think they release it next year with a tour to support.

I would love this but if they are going back into the studio in early 2017 i dont know where they would find the time to do that.  So maybe its more realistic that it becomes a record store day release or it is saved for the holiday season next year. 

Varitek

Quote from: Stevie on Oct 19, 2016, 04:40 PM

I would love this but if they are going back into the studio in early 2017 i dont know where they would find the time to do that.  So maybe its more realistic that it becomes a record store day release or it is saved for the holiday season next year. 

A Live Album could give the band a chance to be in the news without having to do tours or press to promote, and also buy some time to work on a new album. Whatever this Live album is made up of, I bet it comes out in December or January and gives them plenty of space to work on a new album in whatever time frame they like... 
"Did he just put on a cape?"

Stevie

Quote from: Varitek on Oct 19, 2016, 05:09 PM
Quote from: Stevie on Oct 19, 2016, 04:40 PM

A Live Album could give the band a chance to be in the news without having to do tours or press to promote, and also buy some time to work on a new album. Whatever this Live album is made up of, I bet it comes out in December or January and gives them plenty of space to work on a new album in whatever time frame they like... 

Ha, i just skipped over this coming holiday season.  That makes a lot of sense. 

MOWJO8185

Unfortunately, I think this band has the best intentions when it comes to live releases, but also seems to keep a pretty small camp as far as employees who can work on things like this, so when other things are happening in MMJ-land, these best intentions get pushed to the wayside. The MMJ machine is probably in full swing with Jim's upcoming album and the tour to support it. I hope I'm wrong and that there's some arm of the band's camp working on something like this, but it just doesn't seem like that's how they have operated. I remember when we were getting livedownloads every month or so, it was during a VERY dead time in MMJ land, and they sort of stopped when the Waterfall cycle came into full swing.

Stevie

Quote from: MOWJO8185 on Oct 20, 2016, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately, I think this band has the best intentions when it comes to live releases, but also seems to keep a pretty small camp as far as employees who can work on things like this, so when other things are happening in MMJ-land, these best intentions get pushed to the wayside. The MMJ machine is probably in full swing with Jim's upcoming album and the tour to support it. I hope I'm wrong and that there's some arm of the band's camp working on something like this, but it just doesn't seem like that's how they have operated. I remember when we were getting livedownloads every month or so, it was during a VERY dead time in MMJ land, and they sort of stopped when the Waterfall cycle came into full swing.

I think that's okay.   For a number of reasons, none of which are the quality of the band, i dont think the demand will ever reach a point where we can expect anything like what phish has where you can just download any show they play in multiple formats.   I like what we have now.  We get what we need and more for the most part. 

parkervb

now that they have the relationship with Capitol Records, one might assume that means more resources and possibly some contractual requirements for releases. 
Don't you ever turn it off

getinthevan

I've been thinking that maybe there's a chance that they're hanging on to some of the recordings of their most notable shows so they can be released long down the road, to extend the legacy of the band.  But they don't have to hang on to all of them...
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

millerjustin

Quote from: Stevie on Oct 20, 2016, 06:35 PM

I think that's okay.   For a number of reasons, none of which are the quality of the band, i dont think the demand will ever reach a point where we can expect anything like what phish has where you can just download any show they play in multiple formats.   I like what we have now.  We get what we need and more for the most part. 

we got spoiled with the instant release of the port chester run - that was possible in large part due to the Cap's state of the art sound system (see what I did there?) - the band invests more in road technology for OBH so those shows can be captured safely (wind and all).  However, general road shows aren't packaged electronically due to prohibitive costs - so, the best chances of getting official release material is from well established and high tech venues (red rocks, ascend, beacon, the cap).  This being said, my money is on a beacon compilation - the venue had several permits posted from NYC film commission (which is a required permit for all recordings and filming) - I looked far and wide for cameras - esp given strict prohibition on film and recordings (which is another indicator) - there were a couple small fixed cameras mounted under the loge and on the wings of the stage, but no conspicuous camera guys or boom arms.  Also, the quick release of EODM's I love You All The Time in near perfect sound quality indicates that the whole run got captured

but of course, I could be full of shit
What's in here won't disappear

Mr. White

I was amazed that Carl's Nashville show got released like it did. Then, I started thinking about The Basement East being pretty new and being in Nashville (Music City USA). They probably thought ahead and included/built in technology that allows for quick and easy recordings of shows performed there. Just thinking that's what it might have been...
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Lonndown27

was hoping we'd have some news by now...i'd much rather have an MMJ live album, especially a second Okonokos, than Jim's new solo album. I love Jim's solo work but...............THIS IS THE JACKET....
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

LBSUNFLWR

I remember thinking the 2 nights at Iroquois were possibly being filmed too bc of all the flowers and it being a hometown show at an awesome venue and all, but I also do not remember seeing any cameras there filming.

Those shows were incredible though and would definitely make a great release on CD or DVD.

Okonokos on CD was the first MMJ I ever heard.

Lonndown27

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Oct 24, 2016, 02:04 PM
I remember thinking the 2 nights at Iroquois were possibly being filmed too bc of all the flowers and it being a hometown show at an awesome venue and all, but I also do not remember seeing any cameras there filming.

Those shows were incredible though and would definitely make a great release on CD or DVD.

Okonokos on CD was the first MMJ I ever heard.

no doubt an Okonokos II would bring even more fans
(MMJ): 8/2/12+8/1/13+10/07/15+12/29/17+12/30/17+12/31/17+8/21/2022::::(JIM): 11/5/2018

DaydreamNation

I was there for both nights of Iroquois. Saw camera guys second night before the show but when I asked them who they were filming for they said Twin Limb, and I don't believe the MMJ set was filmed, but I was 5th row so cameras very well could have been planted back towards the soundboard.
11/11/23  11/10/23  11/9/23  11/7/23  10/29/22  11/2/21  7/7/17  6/22/17  10/27/16  5/13/16  5/12/16

Lonndown27

anything new?!?!?! Im dyin for this new live LP / DVD / whatever

Lonndown27

i neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed this

Lonndown27

this is when someone should have news about how they met up with a band member at OBH and pressed them with the question or something....I wonder why no news has come about...if anything, Jimbo and the guys are mixing this thing down right this second, hopefully out by Summer  (fingers crossed)

sillyboob

At the very least, we should have OBH 2017 audio in a couple months.  I'll take an additional show as well, most definitely!!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.